Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Plane Crash: PSA Flight 182

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Ugh, and they look like they're covering parts, not whole bodies.
    As I understand it there weren't many whole bodies, just parts.

Cool rendition

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

"When that family moved in around 1989 or 1990, they did a lot of work back there and took the ivy out. It was a manâ??s finger and investigators say he probably was holding onto his seat belt and got his finger jammed in it on impact."

"I saw a lot of neighborhood people running out of their houses as I got out of my car. I ran up Nile Street a block or so and found the innards of a passenger splayed out in the middle of the street and there was a partially clad womanâ??s torso and the left half of her head (long dark hair) in the driveway of a house on the North side of Nile about six houses or so down from Dwight. There was an artery in her neck still lightly spurting the last bit of blood. Her left eye was staring sraight ahead. Iâ??ll never forget that sight. There was a middle-aged man stillstrapped in his seat, the top of his head badly mangled and his left arm almost severed in the yard of the house next door. These people had to know what was coming, like the other guy said, because the crotch of his pants was glistening wet, but it wasnâ??t blood. He was leanignto the left and the blood was draining into the grass."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

If I saw that stuff I'd be seriously fucked up for life.

whiskersonkittens Guest

DOA by Bloodrock is playing in my head right now

OMG!!!
    I watched Faces of Death back in 1985. It was my first death hag experience, and it was awful. I tried to be a vegetarian after the slaughterhouse scenes, only to have my farmyard veterinarian dad force me to eat meat. I remember most FOD being really lame, and really fake. It ended with the PSA 182 scenes. I knew those were not fake. All I could remember were guts, sitting in the street. There was more footage, but that is all I could remember. I do remember a Delta flight that crashed on the DFW runway around the time I saw FOD, and I imagined that the charred human remains probably resembled the PSA 182 footage.

The eyewitness accounts are horrendous. I see the smiling faces on the PSA memorial page, and it's hard to look at them knowing they died so horribly.

The first 20 minutes of the movie Final Destination is the most frightening Hollywood rendition of a plane crash, IMO.

DexterKitty Guest
    That San Diego forum linked up above is great because it gives graphic accounts from witnesses and descriptive body conditions. It took me a couple days to read the entire thing.

MoonRabbit Guest
    I remember this crash in San Diego.
    What I remember most is that a few people living in that area decided that it
    would be cool to go to the crash site (big mistake) to check out the action.
    A local news team video taped one young woman shaking in her shit after seeing the bodies.
    What she witnessed was more than she bargained for.
    The young woman could barely speak but she shook uncontrollably.
    If there is a plane crash in your area stay home unless you can handle
    what you are going to see.

pattykad Guest
    It was interesting to revisit this crash. If I'm hearing the tape right,
    the pilots were in contact with ground control right after the
    collision? And then they realized they were going down...is that
    what you can make from it?

Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post
    It was interesting to revisit this crash. If I'm hearing the tape right,
    the pilots were in contact with ground control right after the
    collision? And then they realized they were going down...is that
    what you can make from it?
    Yeah i think they knew during their last few seconds that it was over. They said their goodbyes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I remember this crash in San Diego.
    What I remember most is that a few people living in that area decided that it
    would be cool to go to the crash site (big mistake) to check out the action.
    A local news team video taped one young woman shaking in her shit after seeing the bodies.
    What she witnessed was more than she bargained for.
    The young woman could barely speak but she shook uncontrollably.
    If there is a plane crash in your area stay home unless you can handle
    what you are going to see.
    Hard to understand what these people were thinking. An entire Boeing 727 was smashed to pieces. What did they think, the passengers were going to walk away from the wreckage? I remember when the crash occurred, it didn't take many sanitized news images from the crash site to realize that the place was Hamburger Hill. It's the human element that freaks me out. If that plane was transporting cattle the carnage wouldn't bother me a bit, but humans are a different story.

PSA Flight 182

When I posted those OTHER plane crash threads, one thing never entered my mind to ask on this forum. And if there is any forum that could get the answers, it would be this one.

My threads were on the Japan Airlines crash of 1985, the Cerritos crash of 1986, and the Chicago crash of 1979. I think it's in the Chicago Plane crash thread that someone mentioned PSA Flight 182 that crashed in San Diego, California, on September 25, 1978. There are two photos of the plane crashing down that are horrific enough. But I'm absolutely certain, and I mean CERTAIN, that the plane crash was caught on film. If I remember, a crew was filming a commercial at the time and somehow managed to capture the plane coming down into the neighborhood. It was from a great distance, so no closeups. What I remember was that you could see what appeared to be flickers of flame and the plane just literally FALLING down, not a smooth landing, but a fast fall down to the ground.

Can anyone out there help me answer this one?

Thanks.

cachluv Guest

http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Tec...09-25(PSA).asp

The intersection where the plane crashed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr8SeL-mCVA this is the closest I could find, you most likely already found this though
    Last edited by cachluv; 12-02-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Heres the previous thread about it:
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...PSA+Flight+182
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

cachluv Guest
    Here's the documentary, there's film of the smoking wreckage and debris.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....il_confirmed=1

Lots of photo's here

http://www.kogo.com/cc-common/galler...lbum_id=139777
    Last edited by cachluv; 12-02-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Wow. Thanks. I'm pretty sure the Facebook video - which I will look at when I get home, will answer that question. Don't know why this is on my mind at this particular time. Thanks for all the help. You guys are the greatest.......

I remember this like it was yesterday.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I was 9 when this accident happened. I remember my parents had some friends over for dinner not to long after the crash happened and one of them told a story of beingin the area and having a hand fly through his windshield. I don't know if it was true but through the years hearing the first hand accounts it certainly seems feasible.

On a more personal note, my wifes' parents live on the corner of Boundary and Myrtle streets, not even a quarter mile from the crash site and we pass the area every time we visit them. Spent Thanksgiving there this year and I always think of PSA 182 when we pass the intersection where it happenned (going down Boundary you can see the Nile and Dwight intersection to your left). One last bit of irony, my mother in law was an employee of PSA at the time and lost many friends. I tried to talk about it with her out of curiosity but soon it became obvious it still hit home.

RIP

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Summary: Midair collision. The PSA was descending and about to land at Lindbergh Field. The Cessna was climbing while engaged in practice approaches. The 727 overtook and struck the Cessna from the rear. The primary cause was the PSA crew lost sight of the Cessna and did not make that fact known to the ATC. The ATC failed to realize from the PSA transmissions that they lost sight of the Cessna. One hundred thirty-five killed on the PSA, two on the Cessna and seven on the ground. Crew fatigue may have played a part in the accident as there are unofficial reports that the crew attended an all night party and had only 2 hours sleep from the night before.

I wonder if this true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    Summary: Midair collision. The PSA was descending and about to land at Lindbergh Field. The Cessna was climbing while engaged in practice approaches. The 727 overtook and struck the Cessna from the rear. The primary cause was the PSA crew lost sight of the Cessna and did not make that fact known to the ATC. The ATC failed to realize from the PSA transmissions that they lost sight of the Cessna. One hundred thirty-five killed on the PSA, two on the Cessna and seven on the ground. Crew fatigue may have played a part in the accident as there are unofficial reports that the crew attended an all night party and had only 2 hours sleep from the night before.

I wonder if this true.
    Weird bit of trivia. I watched the old Walt Disney movie "Gus" tonight. It was released in 1976. One scene had a character getting off of a PSA jet at an airport. I cringed when I saw the smiling face painted on the plane and I instantly thought of this thread.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

jaylene Guest
    I, like the other poster, saw the Faces of Death in the 80's and just realized from reading this that the crash footage is of this crash and I have to say that tramatized me for life. It still effects me and I can't even imagine being there. I wished I would have known back then not to watch it but me being me I was curious. Big mistake! I hope I'm still allowed my hag rights cause I just couldn't do it again.

Andrea Guest
    They found 10,800 body parts? That's what one of the posters on the San Diego says. Eyack!

Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by jaylene View Post
    I, like the other poster, saw the Faces of Death in the 80's and just realized from reading this that the crash footage is of this crash and I have to say that tramatized me for life. It still effects me and I can't even imagine being there. I wished I would have known back then not to watch it but me being me I was curious. Big mistake! I hope I'm still allowed my hag rights cause I just couldn't do it again.

Is that footage still around?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jaylene Guest
    I know its the very first Faces of Death and its I believe the last thing on it. There were several FOD come out after the first one but this footage is on the first one cause I remember I wouldn't watch anymore of them. I hope you can find it. I rented it at a Box Office Video. Hope that helped.

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Is that footage still around?
    Warning Graphic material!
    Faces Of Death
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ent=firefox-a#

Time 1:34:50, I think this is that same crash.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest

I wonder if this true.
    My partner was a lead flight attendant for 15 years, he says this stuff happens with pilots and flight crew ALL the time, more than any of us would like to think. I prefer NOT to think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Faces Of Death

I remember watching about half of this movie when I was 15. I couldn't watch the rest. I remember the two guys being executed and then I had to turn it off. Now I can watch the whole thing of course.

When the rescuers were pulling bodies and putting them on gurneys, they just looked like giant pieces of meat.
    Last edited by Luanne; 12-04-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Faces Of Death

Have I told you lately that you are my hero

But that video was.... woah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Northern Lights Guest
    Have I told you lately that you are my hero
    Cool! Thanks!

Cool! Thanks!

Don't want to hijack too much, but since you seem to have seen a lot of FOD what is the worst one you have seen? This footage was pretty intense. Just the unrecognizable chunks of flesh... I can't believe the devastation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Northern Lights Guest
    Don't want to hijack too much, but since you seem to have seen a lot of FOD what is the worst one you have seen? This footage was pretty intense. Just the unrecognizable chunks of flesh... I can't believe the devastation.
    I don't know. These things don't affect too much to me, except anything involving animals. I can't usually watch those parts.

except anything involving animals. I can't usually watch those parts.
    Or for me, children. I was praying while watching the footage there wouldn't be any kids.

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    After seeing the aftermath of a plane crash (not only from FODs footage, but I live just a mile or 2 from where the plane crash happened in Cerritos, CA in 1986) I have since vowed to keep my feet firmly on the ground. I know that these kind of plane crashes don't happen that often but when they do there isn't much of a body left to bury.

I remember watching the whole thing on the local news. The carnage was horrific, but nothing like body parts and mangled bodies lying in the streets. OMG. The news people covering it were completely professional. It was surreal.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Nelliebean Guest
    I think I'd move to a new house if a charred body came slamming through my roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    I remember watching about half of this movie when I was 15. I could watch the rest. I remember the two guys being executed and then I had to turn it off. Now I can watch the whole thing of course.

When the rescuers were pulling bodies and putting them on gurneys, they just looked like giant pieces of meat.
    I was thinking the same thing when I watched the footage of the plane crash on Youtube. Some bodies were so badly mangled it was hard to discern if the remains were male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I think I'd move to a new house if a charred body came slamming through my roof.
    ITA. Did you see the bloody 'splatter' marks on the walls of the houses in the crash footage on Youtube? Horrible!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    OMG I just saw extreme pictures of the plane crash I had not seen before. I wish I hadn't. These pictures are not for here, you can only imagine what I just saw. Wow.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    My partner was a lead flight attendant for 15 years, he says this stuff happens with pilots and flight crew ALL the time, more than any of us would like to think. I prefer NOT to think about it...

OMG, I don't want to know either. This is pretty darn scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzzld Kat View Post
    After seeing the aftermath of a plane crash (not only from FODs footage, but I live just a mile or 2 from where the plane crash happened in Cerritos, CA in 1986) I have since vowed to keep my feet firmly on the ground. I know that these kind of plane crashes don't happen that often but when they do there isn't much of a body left to bury.
    I saw some footage and pics just now. Horrible. Those images, awful. I used to be very afraid of flying but I enjoy flying actually. The way I see it, if it's my time no matter where I'm at up in the air or on the ground-- its my time.

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Or for me, children. I was praying while watching the footage there wouldn't be any kids.
    That would be really bad too. But I don't remember seeing any gory footage of the children. I guess that even those who make these films have some kind of decency and they don't show things like that.

OMG I just saw extreme pictures of the plane crash I had not seen before. I wish I hadn't. These pictures are not for here, you can only imagine what I just saw. Wow.
    Where were the pics posted that you saw?

desertangel Guest
    I have a great deal of respect for the accident scene cleaner uppers. Did you see that guy scooping up gooey remains and putting them into a plastic bag? I couldn't do it... I'd be throwing up. I'd have nightmares. I'd have to wear a gas mask or I'd smell that smell for years. Nope. Just couldn't do it. Guess I'm glad there are those who can. Wow.

Nelliebean Guest
    I'll stick to these guys, thank you. At least I'll have some control.

Hey you can't say that and then not share *LOL*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The way I see it, if it's my time no matter where I'm at up in the air or on the ground-- its my time.
    You know I have this little theory about plane crashes that sits in the back of my mind that I don't take too seriously but here it is:

We all know how rare plane crashes are. They say statistically if you took a random flight every day it would take 21,000 years before you would be in one. Going with the thought that when it is your time to go, it is your time. Maybe comercial plane crashes are so rare because it takes that long for that many people to be in one place when it is all of their time.

You know I have this little theory about plane crashes that sits in the back of my mind that I don't take too seriously but here it is:

We all know how rare plane crashes are. They say statistically if you took a random flight every day it would take 21,000 years before you would be in one. Going with the thought that when it is your time to go, it is your time. Maybe comercial plane crashes are so rare because it takes that long for that many people to be in one place when it is all of their time.
    I TOTALLY agree with that theory as that thought crossed my mind on several occasions. My loop-hole in that theory is that I can't understand why the Universe would make their final minute terror-filled.......

Quote Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
    I have a great deal of respect for the accident scene cleaner uppers. Did you see that guy scooping up gooey remains and putting them into a plastic bag? I couldn't do it... I'd be throwing up. I'd have nightmares. I'd have to wear a gas mask or I'd smell that smell for years. Nope. Just couldn't do it. Guess I'm glad there are those who can. Wow.
    I couldn't do it, either. It would be difficult to say if the gooey remains were one person or more than one person.

Being a pilot the possibility of a crash has often popped into my head. To me it's kind of a comforting thought, not that I want to crash. I figure there aren't a whole lot of deaths that aren't drawn out. A person dieing of a heart attack may have several minutes or even hours of pain and terror before they finally kick it. Same thing for a car crash victim. Cancer victims suffer through months of pain. In an aircraft crash though it's much shorter and less drawn out. You may have 5 minutes of extreme terror, but after that the end is mercifully quick. How many other natural or unnatural deaths have that.
    BTW, I'm not completely convinced that this is logical and I would prefer nobody poke holes in it as it lets me sleep better, with less fear of becoming a meat missile.
    The cruel, uneventful state
    of apathy releases me
    I value them but I won't cry every time one's wiped out

Go to the link below and there is a preview from a new documentary with some startling eyewitness acounts along with a brief interview with the woman who, with her baby in the car, had that body crash through it. First part has her talking from 1978 with the baby in her arms and then a recent interview with her and her now grown son. She even displays the clothes her son was wearing that day that still has the blood stains from the body on it.

http://returntodwightandnile.com/

That is brilliant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Andrea Guest
    Where are the extreme pics? The only ones I've ever seen are from the Faces Of Death video. I've seen it all as hubs used to be an accident reconstructionist before he retired.

Andrea