Thread: Jean Spangler

Question Jean Spangler

Hi there folks, living in LA for all my life and totally into old Hollywood, I am embarrassed to admit that I never heard of Jean Spangler until recently. She disappeared without a trace in 1949, but they found her purse with a partially written note in Griffith Park. There is lots and lots of stuff about her on the internet, very fascinating if you have time to google.

Lots of theories, the most salacious being that she was three months pregnant with Kirk Douglas's baby and that she died as the result of an illegal abortion. But she also had connections to the mob with talk that she either fled the country with one of them or was killed with a Mobster who also disappeared at the same time, custody issues with her ex-husband over their young daughter, and an abusive former boyfriend who vowed to kill her if she ever broke up with him.

Here's a photo of her, a still from "Wabash Avenue," 1949.
    The Times' photo of Spangler's purse and the note (which was retouched, by the way, so it would be readable in the photograph) found in Griffith Park.
    Photograph by Jack Carrick / Los Angeles Times
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Kathyf Guest
    I never heard of her either. Thanks for the info I love learning about less talked about people.

[SIZE=4]KIRK DOUGLAS is also the one[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4] who allegedly[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4] raped NATALIE WOOD[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4] when she was 16[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4] in early 1955. [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

[SIZE=4]who allegedly[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]raped NATALIE WOOD[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]when she was 16[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]in early 1955. [/SIZE]

God, what a horndog, never knew that about Natalie Wood. I bet the studio fixers made sure nothing ever stuck to him. BTW, Jean was an extra on a movie starring none other than Kirk Douglas. Someone put two and two together and he was questioned in her disappearance. He first claimed to not even know her, then later said he had met her once but didn't know her personally.

Heard a long time ago that Michael Douglas is a sex addict. Always thought Kirk was such a clean and pure man, but geez, like father, like son?

I like him as an actor. KIRK DOUGLAS though is known for being one of the biggest s.o.b.(s) in Hollywood.

Wow, thanks for sharing, would have never known. It's hard to imagine him like that, especially since he has had his stroke. God, his wife must be a saint... or a real biotch!

Kathyf Guest
    I think a lot of that was hidden by the Execs of the studios. They had to protect their money makers.

And the other thing is that none want to be connected to a scandal, any scandal. NATALIE WOOD would've been forever remembered as having been the 'rape victim'. She'd see him out at functions and sarcastically refer to him as "MR. SHOWBiZ".
    WOOD also once went on suspension for turning down a part in a movie in which DOUGLAS was already set to be in.

1karenhb Guest
    Thanks geekygirl, I never heard of Jean Spangler either. Interesting story. Kirk Douglas maybe an SOB but he and his wife have donated many thousands of dollars to build playgrounds in inner city areas. He at least has done some good in his life.

Darrianne Guest
    Another one I had never heard of! Thanks for the info.

Lisamarie Guest
    I remeber seeing her on the doe network and thinking what a sad sad stoy! I wonder what the hell happended..poor thing! Sad but very intresting story thankyou so much for posting!

motherogod Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

[SIZE=4]who allegedly[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]raped NATALIE WOOD[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]when she was 16[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]in early 1955. [/SIZE]

I remember hearing about a rape on her bio channel bio, but at that time the perp wasn't revealed. Interesting, and thank you for the info!

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

On imdb it lists a note she had written to "Kirk". The site then says that it obviously was another Kirk.

Huh? What did I miss. Not that it's necessarily Kirk Douglas - you really can't tell from the note but somehow "they" determined it was another Kirk. How? What's missing from the blurb that makes it "obvious" that it's not Kirk Douglas.

All great humanitarian gestures aside the Douglas clan really needed some group therapy. Michael Douglas' son is quite troubled. Kirks son died at an early age and not from natural death. Sad.

neil p Guest
    A much overlooked Hollywood mystery in my opinion, strange how Kirk Douglas contacted the press soon after Jean Spanglers dissapearence to deny any knowledge! My money is on her untimely demise at the hands of L.A mobsters due to her association with Mickey Cohen cohorts 'little' Davey Ogul and Frankie Niccoli. They knew how to make enemies....

RoRo Guest
    very interesting mystery!! I had never heard of her and this was a great story!!
    I agree the douglas' need help...something ain't right with that family

Wow! Another mystery from old Hollywood.

And Jean looks scared to me in that pic above. Look at her eyes.

I have a book here, I can't find it to give you the title. But it stated that there was a slight conection between her dissaperance and the Black Dahlia Case.

knothere Guest
    wow juicey thread
    done googleing jean now gone google kirk

magblax Guest
    Just got through looking her up online after reading your thread. I am suprised this case is better known. Very sad. Thanks for the post!

Just read about her on the net yesterday.. very intriguing story, yet very sad... didn´t now anything of the Kirk Douglas connection, till I read this thread... will have to google her

Here´s a couple of pics, that are said to be her...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery_photo_071105b.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	10386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery_photo_071105.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	336.7 KB 
ID:	10387  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

John Connor Guest
    The reason old Kirk never dies is because he's afraid of what's waiting for him on the other side. He can only stretch that dried out hide so much in his quest for immortality. He's scum.

Guest Guest
    Very interesting thread, must say I have never heard of her

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Mom and I got talking about this tonight and I looked to see if there was a thread on her. Don't like to mention it but I know a little about her, her mother was a distant relative and that side of the family has strong opinions on who killed her. Florence, her mother, said that a man called Kirk picked her up in front of their apartment once or twice. No comment on who they say did it but they share the prevailing opinion . Personally I think her ex did it.
    Last edited by Heavenly Tiger; 09-07-2010 at 04:23 PM.

I never knew about this case. Fascinating reading. It will be interesting what comes out of the wood work when Kirk finally kicks the bucket - natalie wood? Really???

Thats a cool connection Heavenly tiger!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tarsier Guest
    I also read about her in connection to the Black Dahlia case as well as the 1947 Project a study on crimes againsr women following WW II.

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    I never knew about this case. Fascinating reading. It will be interesting what comes out of the wood work when Kirk finally kicks the bucket - natalie wood? Really???

Thats a cool connection Heavenly tiger!
    Thanks. There a few people holding interest about the revelations that may come forth after he passes.

Heavenly Tiger Guest

Interesting old article about police questioning Kirk

growl Guest
    I have never heard of her. This is fascinating! Off to to Google!!!

FooFoo Shnickens Guest
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...h-is-a-mystery

MSN has a story about her up today. First I have heard of her, fascinating!

dirtycopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

On imdb it lists a note she had written to "Kirk". The site then says that it obviously was another Kirk.

Huh? What did I miss. Not that it's necessarily Kirk Douglas - you really can't tell from the note but somehow "they" determined it was another Kirk. How? What's missing from the blurb that makes it "obvious" that it's not Kirk Douglas.

All great humanitarian gestures aside the Douglas clan really needed some group therapy. Michael Douglas' son is quite troubled. Kirks son died at an early age and not from natural death. Sad.
    I found an article that says Kirk Douglas was vacationing in Palm Springs when the news of her disappearance surfaced. Maybe that's why it's "obvious"??

dirtycopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenly Tiger View Post
    Mom and I got talking about this tonight and I looked to see if there was a thread on her. Don't like to mention it but I know a little about her, her mother was a distant relative and that side of the family has strong opinions on who killed her. Florence, her mother, said that a man called Kirk picked her up in front of their apartment once or twice. No comment on who they say did it but they share the prevailing opinion . Personally I think her ex did it.
    Thanks for sharing, Heavenly! That's really interesting that you have a "connection" to this story. What ever happened with the case? Did it just go cold or are they still looking?

dirtycopper Guest
    Last edited by dirtycopper; 02-03-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Unidentified Guest
    I remember reading about her on The Charley Project - but I suspected the ex-husband. It never goes well when an ex-husband who who owes back child support (which you want increased) asks you to meet him someplace. Ever. Especially if he was the last person you were with.

Nelliebean Guest
    Sounds like she was hanging with some unsavory characters.

I've never heard of this person, but this is the VERY reason why I come to FAD! Interesting stuff!

aLiLdirt Guest
    I'll be reading up on Spangler. Thanks for the tip, geekygirl!

Quote Originally Posted by Unidentified View Post
    I remember reading about her on The Charley Project - but I suspected the ex-husband. It never goes well when an ex-husband who who owes back child support (which you want increased) asks you to meet him someplace. Ever. Especially if he was the last person you were with.
    I'm thinking the same thing....ex hubbub, but I also wonder if the "Kirk" was Kirk Douglas...and that he "might" of been the father of the baby she might be carrying...he had nothing to do with her disappearance. Interesting case, nontheless.

Apparently there is a hag in training working at MSN, here's an article they posted yesterday.

I still suspect her ex-husband.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...h-is-a-mystery

Wrath - Thanks for the article link That photo of her is just absolutely gorgeous. They don't "make 'em like that anymore", beauties who are classic and classy...then again, as it's been pointed out, she did keep sketchy friends when she wasn't posing for glamor photos. Apart from her bones appearing somewhere and matching a DNA test, my bet is she's sadly gone forever.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    I just stumbled on this case a few months ago and have found it so intriguing especially where they claim the Mickey Cohen mob connections. Next time I'm in Pam Springs I think I want to check out a few of locations they talk about. Can't imagine what happened to Jean to make her leave hr daughter like that.

MissZoot Guest
    I had read that it was possible that "Kirk" was Dr. Kirk, who also performed abortions. Of course, this comes from Black Dahlia Avenger, so take it with a grain (or a large box) of salt. Jean's story is fascinating-watching old Hollywood movies and seeing the publicity reels, that time looks so innocent, but there were so many rotten things bubbling below the surface.
    Last edited by MissZoot; 04-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Bgeace Guest
    Wow thanks for the info. I have never heard of her until now. I don't know what to think, I mean I love the idea of executives covering up scandals(which I know was and probably still is a common practice) and I love thinking about the dark(er) side of Hollywood but the husband is a good possibility too, but then something in the back of my head goes that's too easy. Yes, it does look suspicious the husband picked up and moved, but then again wouldn't you? It'd have to be hard to live in a place where people were whispering about you and people were curious about whether or not you murdered your ex-wife.

An episode of the television series Mysteries and Scandals featured the case some years ago
    Here is the link (youtube)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREdeDeIT7o

Crossbone1972 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by viki View Post
    An episode of the television series Mysteries and Scandals featured the case some years ago
    Here is the link (youtube)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREdeDeIT7o
    That was a nice doku, thanks for the link, Viki!

You're welcome!

The Death of Kirk Douglas Casts a New Light on the Disappearance of Jean Spangler

https://www.lipstickalley.com/thread...reepy.3205415/