Thread: Jean Dominique Bauby

Jean Dominique Bauby

Forgive me if this has been posted. I searched, but did not see this incredible story anywhere.

Jean was the French Fashion Editor for Vogue Magazine. He suffered a debilitating stroke, which left him comatose for several days. When he awoke, he was paralyzed. He was completely aware of his surroundings, but could only communicate with the use of one eyelid.

Despite his situation, he managed to write a book with the use of an "interpreter" and his one eyelid. His entire struggle is captured in the book and movie, The Divingbell and the Butterfly.

I have seen the movie. It is great, but quite a downer. Read more about Jean-Do here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Dominique_Bauby

Long Gone Day Guest
    I wasn't familiar with him until I saw the movie. I can't imagine the horror
    of that syndrome or the strength and determination needed to be able to
    communicate the way he did. I thought Julian Schnabel did a wonderful job
    with the film and the audience could get some sense of what the world looked
    like from his physical condition. So sad for anyone to have this happen let
    alone someone so in love with life. Great post, KCBee.

Guest Guest
    Great reminder! I hadn't thought of this guy for a long while. What a sad story but what fantastic determination he showed! Very admirable. I haven't seen the film, maybe one day I shall.

Guest Guest

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Great reminder! I hadn't thought of this guy for a long while. What a sad story but what fantastic determination he showed! Very admirable. I haven't seen the film, maybe one day I shall.
    It's very good, Vlad. I think you would like it very much.

Littleroben Guest
    I haven't seen the film, but the book was amazing. So sad and at the same time it was incredible that he was able to communicate so that it was written

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    There was a lot of controversy about the movie, as it portrayed his wife as being the one who nursed him and his girlfriend as being largely absent, when apparently it was the other way around.

'The Truth about The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' from Salon.com

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/200...3/diving_bell/
    Why do they continue to lie like this? Maybe for Julian to make the film
    the wife had something to do with consent?

Outlier Guest
    Beautiful film on many different levels. Bit of a downer, yes, but so worth it. I'm still haunted by that scene when he rode with a date in a convertible: it was a sunswept memory, gloriously captured. The cinematography in that movie is incredible.

Outlier Guest
    Yes, that's the one!