Thread: Bill Haley

RoRo Guest

Bill Haley

Original name: William John Clifton Haley
    A Rock 'n' Roll singer from the 1950s to the early 1980s, he was considered a pioneer of the rock music genre. In the 1950s with his group, 'The Comets,' he recorded several hits including, "Rocket 88" (1951), "Rock The Joint" (1952), "Crazy Man Crazy" (1953), "Dim Dim The Lights" (1954), "Shake Rattle And Roll" (1954) and "Rock Around The Clock" (1955). He also appeared in many films as well including, "Blue Suede Shoes" (1980), "The London Rock And Roll Show" (1973), "Let The Good Times Roll" (1973), "The Blackboard Jungle" (1955), "Don't Knock The Rock" (1956), "Rock Around The Clock" (1956), "Round Up Of Rhythm" (1954). During the 1950s and the 1960s he appeared on many variety music shows, "American Bandstand," Thank Your Lucky Stars," "The Midnight Special," "Washington Square" and "Toast Of The Town." He was known as the 'Original King of Rock And Roll" and the "Father of Rock And Roll.' In 1974 his hit "Rock Around The Clock" was used as the theme song for the hit television series, "Happy Days." In 1987 he was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. He died in Harlingen, Texas, in 1981, after complications of a brain tumor.

sickRick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Original name: William John Clifton Haley
    A Rock 'n' Roll singer from the 1950s to the early 1980s, he was considered a pioneer of the rock music genre. In the 1950s with his group, 'The Comets,' he recorded several hits including, "Rocket 88" (1951), "Rock The Joint" (1952), "Crazy Man Crazy" (1953), "Dim Dim The Lights" (1954), "Shake Rattle And Roll" (1954) and "Rock Around The Clock" (1955). He also appeared in many films as well including, "Blue Suede Shoes" (1980), "The London Rock And Roll Show" (1973), "Let The Good Times Roll" (1973), "The Blackboard Jungle" (1955), "Don't Knock The Rock" (1956), "Rock Around The Clock" (1956), "Round Up Of Rhythm" (1954). During the 1950s and the 1960s he appeared on many variety music shows, "American Bandstand," Thank Your Lucky Stars," "The Midnight Special," "Washington Square" and "Toast Of The Town." He was known as the 'Original King of Rock And Roll" and the "Father of Rock And Roll.' In 1974 his hit "Rock Around The Clock" was used as the theme song for the hit television series, "Happy Days." In 1987 he was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. He died in Harlingen, Texas, in 1981, after complications of a brain tumor.
    I thought Rocket 88 was recorded by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats? (which included Ike Turner, and a few others...)

bill covered rocket 88,and some critics consider haileys version the "first" rock and roll song as it melds country with a more r+b version by brenston. whatever the truth,the signifigance of the song is undeniable.

i LOVE rocket 88!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

sickRick Guest
    Well, outside of old Hudsons, Oldsmobile Rockets from 1949-56 are terrific cars.

I guess either way, credit to Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats should be given, somehow, since it seems to slip away from them most of the time...

For as historically important, and significant the song is, and pretty much passed over by most early rock afficionado's, I think that credit due should be given, it's not like Bill Haley and the Comets don't have enough claim to fame.

In the end, you could argue that Bill Haley's cover is a better version, but it should be noted for what it is, a cover. I personally feel you should take a listen to both, and make your own choice. Each version has it's own specific flair, and style.

CCB72 Guest
    I didnt know much about Bill Haley and the Comets except for the early Happy Days theme song, which derived from the original song.

crazedfemale Guest
    I know one of Bill Haley's sons. Nice guy, but we really don't talk about his father.

Forever-27 Guest
    He was part of the great color rip offs along with Jerry Lee Lewis and others. Rock around the clock and ABC Boogie and Shake Rattle and Roll were all songs recorded by great black blues singers decades before Bill haley made them famous. Of course these were the times when blacks generally were not played on mainstream music stations so they were ignored until white people made them famous. Its a shame this was accepted and happened this way. But thoes were the times people lived in back then.

I prefer the original version of Shake Rattle and Roll personally. Also the original version of Jerry Lee Lewis's Whole Lotta Shakin Goin' On.

crazedfemale Guest
    I remember very little about Bill Haley, except when Happy Days used his song. I read more about him when I was introduced to his son several years ago. Again, I've only spoken about his dad twice to him. But you can definitely see a little Bill in him!

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    He was part of the great color rip offs along with Jerry Lee Lewis and others. Rock around the clock and ABC Boogie and Shake Rattle and Roll were all songs recorded by great black blues singers decades before Bill haley made them famous. Of course these were the times when blacks generally were not played on mainstream music stations so they were ignored until white people made them famous. Its a shame this was accepted and happened this way. But thoes were the times people lived in back then.

I prefer the original version of Shake Rattle and Roll personally. Also the original version of Jerry Lee Lewis's Whole Lotta Shakin Goin' On.
    I have to agree with you Forever......here is a link to the original Rocket 88 by Ike Turner & Jackie Brenston. Now if that isn't Rock & Roll, then tell me what is ????????

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1oVTk0

Just stumbled upon this article detailing Haleys' sad last days...

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/falling-comet/

Thanks for sharing that article. It opened my eyes to the life of such a talented but misunderstood giant of rock and roll history.