Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Harold Perelson Murder/Suicide

BigBootyJudy Guest
    This is the info imdb.com has on him. He was quite involved in the movie industry

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0954673/

His wife was an actress as well
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0544720/

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    This is the info imdb.com has on him. He was quite involved in the movie industry

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0954673/

His wife was an actress as well
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0544720/
    I..dont..think...I..have..ever..seen..a..list..of...producing/directing/acting/writing
    credits....as..long.....as..the..one..from..this..guy.

His..wife...has..quite..a..bit..herself..and..it..looks..like..she..was..in..the..moi es
    he..produced....First..year..listed..for..appearance..in..film..is..1916;.They..were
    married..in..1921...and..came..to..U.S....in...1929....She..was..thirteen..years.
    younger.

I..wonder...how..many..other..prior...owners?..
    Were..the....Zelnicks..the..original..owners?
    Why..would..the..new..owners..just
    leave..it..there..like..that...since..1968?

I..wonder..if..anything..could..be..looked..up..on..the
    Enriques..in...the..census..or..whatever.

We are so in luck, as the Zelnicks each have fairly detailed Wikipedia entries, with pictures. Mrs. Z performed under the stage name Lya Mara:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lya_Mara

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Zelnik

Interesting that nobody seems to have the information as to exactly when Lya Mara died. These two could have their own FAD thread.
    Last edited by Linnie; 02-10-2009 at 05:30 PM.

^^^^^ Yes!!! I did look them up on imdb after finding that tibbit online about the Zelnicks. Thanks for looking it up on Wiki!!!!

You guys are awesome!!!
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    Fred Zelnick's name sounded vaguely familiar to me, so I looked him up. He was a film director who worked mostly in the UK and Germany. I'm guessing he was renting the house while working on something in Hollywood, though I can't say what. I wonder who else lived there over the years??
    Yeah...that's what I think too...renting the house; as reading their wiki entries, the Zelnicks mostly spent their time in Europe.
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    Yeah...that's what I think too...renting the house; as reading their wiki entries, the Zelnicks mostly spent their time in Europe.

After reading the Wiki entries and knowing what I do about dates when certain technologies came into use, Zelnick was most likely in Hollywood to learn about sound. The movie industry was undergoing a major upheaval, as sound changed virtually everything in the movies.

I would also venture the opinion that the chauffeur and cook listed in the 1930 census "came with the place." This was not an unusual arrangement at the time. Katharine Hepburn over the years rented several homes in Los Angeles which already had household staff in place.

I wonder... does anyone have access to the 1940 census records for this address? I'm guessing the Zelnicks probably didn't stay there long.

I have no info to add (yet!) but wanted to thank RogerV and everyone who has added info to this thread.

THIS is what FAD is all about! Thank you all very much!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

RogerV Guest
    I also did some re-checking of the maps, and discovered an important point; The house is on Glendower PLACE, which is just a short, dead-end street that branches off Glendower AVENUE. So it's not the kind of location you'd just casually drive by... you'd really have to know where you were going to find it, and that's possibly one factor in why the place hasn't been vandalized over the years.

Shano Guest
    So Zelnick and his wife rented the house and property.... but from who?

I wasn't able to find anything. Just square footage of the house, etc. There has to be records on who had the house built.

Zelnick paid $250 in rent.... I wonder if that was high at that time? lol

Quote Originally Posted by sweetie103 View Post
    I have this article. I have access to the Los Angeles Times archives. It is the article shown in the picture with the house in one of the first posts. The archives come up as pdf files. Its too big to post here. If someone can help me by letting me know how to reduce it so I can attach it.
    Mate, my email addy is in my profile. Just email the pdf's to me and I will reduce them in photoshop and send them back to you for you to post.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

What a great thread. I keep checking back daily to see if there is any updates. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of you gets a closer peak and gets a few pics along the way. PLEEEEAASE!

sweetie103 Guest
    Neil was able to change the format so I can attach the article published in the LA Times.

Thank you Neil.

The article doesn't have much info compared to the other ones posted but Im sure some on here would still like to see it. So here it is. I hope I attached it correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 2 from docotr.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	501.1 KB 
ID:	12519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 1 from docotr-2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	12520  

Sweetie, it's attached perfectly. Thanks!

Neil homeboy, thanks a lot!

If you right-click and open in a new window, you can enlarge the image once, and it's easily read. No new info perhaps, but a great read nonetheless. It's interesting to read it exactly as the public did when it first happened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Neil was able to change the format so I can attach the article published in the LA Times.

Thank you Neil.

The article doesn't have much info compared to the other ones posted but Im sure some on here would still like to see it. So here it is. I hope I attached it correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Sweetie, it's attached perfectly. Thanks!

Neil homeboy, thanks a lot!

If you right-click and open in a new window, you can enlarge the image once, and it's easily read. No new info perhaps, but a great read nonetheless. It's interesting to read it exactly as the public did when it first happened.
    Always willing to help out where I can ladies. Just call.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Lily_Aleister Guest
    Oh wow, I live RIGHT BY this street! I'm going to drive by the house tomorrow and try to take pics. I will post. What else should I do? Head to the library? Send me on a mission! :]

Lily_Aleister Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Okay also anyonhe remeber that cheesy movie bodydouble the scene where the guy is following the girl around thats the driveway she comes outta of!!! Crazy! And also Im
    I LOVE the movie Body Double! Sounds crazy, but I watch it nightly to fall asleep. It relaxes me.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily_Aleister View Post
    Oh wow, I live RIGHT BY this street! I'm going to drive by the house tomorrow and try to take pics. I will post. What else should I do? Head to the library? Send me on a mission! :]

Oh boy, Lily_Aleister, are you EVER taking on a great responsibility... you'll have a mob of hags on your case until you return with a DETAILED report.

I can think of numerous missions to send you on, but we'd best not burden you with too much. However, I don't know how many daily papers there were in L.A. at the time, but obituaries or death notices could be interesting... though I have an awful feeling that none may have been published.

It's also hard to believe there were no other susequent newspaper stories, but that MIGHT be the case.

Anyway, thank you in advance for ANYTHING you might be able to turn up!

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily_Aleister View Post
    Please please take pics!

19. 02-11-2009, 11:35 PM

sweetie103 Guest
    O
    I can think of numerous missions to send you on, but we'd best not burden you with too much. However, I don't know how many daily papers there were in L.A. at the time, but obituaries or death notices could be interesting... though I have an awful feeling that none may have been published.
    Its interesting that you bring up obits..Im actually on the archives now just to see if anything else was written on them..I found a marriage annoucement which I believe is theirs and their obits in the LA Times but neither is interesting. The obits just list where their funeral is, no story of their lives included just an annoucment and the wedding announcement I believe is theirs just list where they are from. If anyone is interested I can post them. Just let me know. Since they are really short I dealt Ill have a problem posting it.

RogerV Guest
    Its interesting that you bring up obits..Im actually on the archives now just to see if anything else was written on them..I found a marriage annoucement which I believe is theirs and their obits in the LA Times but neither is interesting. The obits just list where their funeral is, no story of their lives included just an annoucment and the wedding announcement I believe is theirs just list where they are from. If anyone is interested I can post them. Just let me know. Since they are really short I dealt Ill have a problem posting it.

Yes, I think we'd love to see ANYTHING. Do the obits say if they were buried, cremated, etc., and where??

Thanks again!

sweetie103 Guest
    Ok Ive attached the wedding announcement. The article of the murder lists the wife's name as Lillian but this announcement is Minne L. His name matches and the age difference is only a year off so Im guessing its them.

Ill attach the obits in a second.

Name:	wedding announcement 1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	12522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedding announcement 2.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	12523  

sweetie103 Guest
    Here are the obits. There isn't much info except the service but no burial info.

Name:	obit 1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	12525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obit 2.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	12526  

RogerV Guest
    Thank you again! I did a quick search and discovered this:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/home-of-peac...um-los-angeles

I wondered if the Perelsons might have been Jewish, and my hunch was correct. I mean nothing disrespectful... for me, it just helps me get a little better idea of who they were as people.

And check this out: http://www.homeofpeacememorialpark.com/index.html
    Last edited by RogerV; 02-12-2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: to fix a typo and add a line and add another link.

Shano Guest
    Is it just me or does Daddy and the little kids look.... strange... in that picture.

Go Lily Go!!!! I can't wait to see what you have found out!

Lily_Aleister Guest
    Bla! Got called into work today so no house lurking for me :[
    Hopefully sometime next week..

I did go past over the weekend. I had no idea this thread was here, or I would have posted them before. Didn't want to go up to the windows, because I was with a few friends and didn't want to cause a scene. I hope you can make it up there Lily.

My friend Luis Mata found their graves this week, he'll return for better pictures soon.

BTW, someone compared it to the vacant mansion in Rebel Without A Cause. Though that one is a few miles from here, the Griffith Observatory is almost above this house. As is the Ennis house, from House on Haunted Hill, Bladerunner etc

Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

Valerie Guest
    Thank you, Scott! Awesome, as always.

Death Hag Salute

GAdeathhag Guest
    oh nicccceeeeee--- way to go---- now go back and peek in the windows--

Shano Guest
    Wow! Thank you Scott! I knew you would know where to find the house and the dead bodies!

The mailbox is kind of depressing. Doesn't go with the house. It is really creepy to be able to see the stairs leading up to the second floor from the large window. I can just imagine Daddy going up the stairs with his hammer...
    Last edited by Shano; 02-12-2009 at 09:56 AM.

RogerV Guest
    Thank you Scott... I'm the one who started the thread and also made the comparison to the house in Rebel Without a Cause... I was under the impression that house had been torn down, but maybe I was wrong about that.

This house is beautiful, and it's a shame it's being allowed to just sit. Looking at it, I can just see Gloria Swanson stepping out onto one of the balconies! It would also be a great place to have a hag party!

A couple of observations: The stucco on the left balcony and on the small fake balcony under the tall window has been repaired recently. The stucco on the low wall in front of the mailbox looks fresh, also. The article mentions the chain blocking the driveway, but it looks like there's enough slack in it that it could simply be unhooked.

I also wonder if the collection of bowls to catch dripping water is behind those two very large windows?
    Last edited by RogerV; 02-12-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Roger, it would be perfect for that.

The Rebel mansion (also Sunset Blvd) is long gone.
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    The mailbox is kind of depressing. Doesn't go with the house. It is really creepy to be able to see the stairs leading up to the second floor from the large window. I can just imagine Daddy going up the stairs with his hammer...
    I agree that the mailbox should be something supported on black wrought iron.

I too have been puzzling over what looks like a stairway visible in the large window. If it really is a stairway, it goes to the roof, or maybe an attic. If you hold something like a ruler even with the bottom of the balcony over the front door, you can see where the first floor ceiling/second floor floor is actually located. That puts the stairway, if indeed that's what it is, leading from the second floor to where....?? Another mystery.

DisneyStacy Guest
    Pure awesomeness Scott!!

That almost looks like a ladder leaning rather than a staircase? I don't see a railing so it doesn't seem like stairs to me.

Shano Guest
    Thank you Scott... I'm the one who started the thread and also made the comparison to the house in Rebel Without a Cause... I was under the impression that house had been torn down, but maybe I was wrong about that.

This house is beautiful, and it's a shame it's being allowed to just sit. Looking at it, I can just see Gloria Swanson stepping out onto one of the balconies! It would also be a great place to have a hag party!

A couple of observations: The stucco on the left balcony and on the small fake balcony under the tall window has been repaired recently. The stucco on the low wall in front of the mailbox looks fresh, also. The article mentions the chain blocking the driveway, but it looks like there's enough slack in it that it could simply be unhooked.

I also wonder if the collection of bowls to catch dripping water is behind those two very large windows?

I think the bowls that are catching all of the water are on the second floor. On Scott's pic the right balcony at the very end of the house. It has all of the tall windows. If you go back and look at the pic of the bowls it seems like this is the room, you can even see a bit of the wrought iron railing. But now I don't know. I am confused! We need an on the scene reporter!

Now I am puzzled about the "stairway" is it just an optical illusion that the stairs look like they lead to the roof? Or is it something that is hanging in the house? If you are on the second floor would you be standing in front of that very large tall window with the fake balcony/planter?

I wonder too why there aren't any curtains on any of the windows. Maybe there were none the night of the murders? There also has to be someone cutting the grass.

DisneyStacy Guest
    I don't know, the grass looks pretty over grown to me. Doesn't look taken care of at all.

RogerV Guest
    I think the bowls that are catching all of the water are on the second floor. On Scott's pic the right balcony at the very end of the house. It has all of the tall windows. If you go back and look at the pic of the bowls it seems like this is the room, you can even see a bit of the wrought iron railing. But now I don't know. I am confused! We need an on the scene reporter!

Well, if the bowls were on the second floor, the photographer would have had to have been on a ladder. The photo shows a rather narrow space with windows on three sides, just like the "bump out" that the balcony is on. I went back and looked at a Google image from above, and the house doesn't seem to have any similar structures anywhere else.

Now I am puzzled about the "stairway" is it just an optical illusion that the stairs look like they lead to the roof? Or is it something that is hanging in the house? If you are on the second floor would you be standing in front of that very large tall window with the fake balcony/planter?

I wondered whether the roof might be flat with a sun deck on it or something, but again the pic from above shows a pitched red tile roof. So whatever the angled thing is whe haven't yet figured out. And yes, I think you'd be standing on the second floor if you were at that tall window with the planter or whatever it is.

I wonder too why there aren't any curtains on any of the windows. Maybe there were none the night of the murders? There also has to be someone cutting the grass.

Sometimes textiles just disintegrate with age, but there's also a school of thought that if people can see inside they're less apt to try to break in... but yet another unanswered question. Did one of the stories say that the neighbors take turns mowing the lawn occasionally?

trose Guest
    I too have been puzzling over what looks like a stairway visible in the large window. If it really is a stairway, it goes to the roof, or maybe an attic. If you hold something like a ruler even with the bottom of the balcony over the front door, you can see where the first floor ceiling/second floor floor is actually located. That puts the stairway, if indeed that's what it is, leading from the second floor to where....?? Another mystery.
    I zoomed in on the picture and to me it looks like it is not a stairway, but maybe a section of ceiling collapsed. There appears to be pink insulation on top.

Or at least that's what I saw.

Tami
    Last edited by trose; 02-12-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Lisamarie Guest
    what room did the murder take place in do we think..I was thinking perhaps the one room with the balcony to the rt may be the master bedroom?? Where he got hold of her with a freakin hammer..dude you have to be pretty pissed to kill someone with a hammer ...also some thought on the photo of the family homeboy looks a bit off...as do the two younger kids ..but the daughter and the mama look happy...the daughter is very beautiful another thing I would be intrested in finding people the daughter may have gone to school with...Im sure they all remeber this she was so pretty Ill bet she was pretty well known at school and people remeber this Im sure...

Lisamarie Guest
    it said she drove a sports car too..Im sure somone out there remeber this girl...I mean not that I would want to find her drudge up awful memories for the poor thing...but i am curiouse as to what happened to her and also the two younger kids and what if amy thoughts on what the father was thinking to cause such rage ....a hammer man! Thats a bloody and horrible way to kill someone....

RogerV Guest
    it said she drove a sports car too..Im sure somone out there remeber this girl...I mean not that I would want to find her drudge up awful memories for the poor thing...but i am curiouse as to what happened to her and also the two younger kids and what if amy thoughts on what the father was thinking to cause such rage ....a hammer man! Thats a bloody and horrible way to kill someone....
    Presumably she moved with her siblings to the East Coast and lived with relatives. I hope she didn't sustain permanent injury from having her head busted, but I'd imagine the psychological and emotional damage would have been pretty bad. If she's still alive she'd be pushing 70. The author of one of the newspaper stories tried to contact her younger brother by phone, but was never able to talk to him.

Lisamarie Guest
    okay money problems aside...why would you kill your family and gulp acid...also was it common to have acid in the home of a doctor? The reason I ask is was he planning it or was this a spur of the moment attack....Like I jusyt cant take it anymore type thing....Its creepy to think of him sitting there reading Dante and going bat shit crazy and creepin up to the bedroom to kill the family...and I wonder in what order he did them all in??

Lisamarie Guest
    That is a haunting passage from Dante ...its so morbid and forboding..

burgtwngrl Guest
    It still seems like such a beautiful house. It's a shame it's rotting. I wonder who built the house?

By the looks of it and since it was built in the 20's It would HAVE to be someone rich enough in those days which seems to me would almost have to be a Actor/Actress, Director Something like that.

stranger_than_strange Guest
    That padlock on the chain doesn't look like it's keeping much out slide it over the hook and no more chain

I get so sad when I see beautiful old houses going to ruin I mean why have it unless your going to look after it.
    I just thought of a maybe connection between the Doctor, the new owner and why the doctor didn't touch the younger children.

Maybe the eldest daughter was not the Doctors and he just found out and went beserk. The eldest daughter may just be a blood relative of the new owner and this is why the house has been left basically untouched.

I don't know just a wild stab in the dark

NOVSTORM Guest
    okay money problems aside...why would you kill your family and gulp acid...also was it common to have acid in the home of a doctor? The reason I ask is was he planning it or was this a spur of the moment attack....Like I jusyt cant take it anymore type thing....Its creepy to think of him sitting there reading Dante and going bat shit crazy and creepin up to the bedroom to kill the family...and I wonder in what order he did them all in??

He only killed his wife, the other kids got out safely and the oldest daughter lived.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Hmmm... nice work. I'm guessing the count of bedrooms and terlits doesn't include the servants' quarters in the basement.

If it's so far gone that it can't be renovated, it's definitely the sort of place that should be "deconstructed" instead of torn down. That means actually taking the house apart and saving anything that's still good, like doors, bathroom fixtures, light fixtures, even flooring and appliances.
    The city would have made them tear it down if it was in that bad of shape. Or repair it.

Scott rules!!! Thanks so much!!! I think a lot of us here have been obsessed with this house!!! The long window in front is bugging me too...it looks like some have said a ladder? Or maybe it's the roof falling in...or maybe it's a stairwell going to the ballroom? It said that it had a ballroom on a third floor. If I make it back to California the first thing I'm going to do is go and visit this house!!!

Jazbabee Guest
    Wow! Thank you Scott! I knew you would know where to find the house and the dead bodies!

The photos are awesome, but after seeing the mailbox, a bizarre thought crossed my mind. I wonder if they still get junk mail there ???

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    The photos are awesome, but after seeing the mailbox, a bizarre thought crossed my mind. I wonder if they still get junk mail there ???

Oh I bet they do! My Monster In Law's father died in the early 1990's. She still gets mail for him.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by trose View Post
    I zoomed in on the picture and to me it looks like it is not a stairway, but maybe a section of ceiling collapsed. There appears to be pink insulation on top.

Or at least that's what I saw.

Tami
    I agree it doesn't look much like a stairway... if it is part of a collapsed ceiling, then the house is suffering serious, possibly fatal structural damage. It's not unusual for a plaster or wallboard ceiling to come down, but if a BEAM comes down, you've got major trouble!

One other observation, not having to do with the pictures: The family was apparently Jewish, but they had a Christmas tree with presents under it? I'm guessing they were NOT Orthodox!