Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Harold Perelson Murder/Suicide

RogerV Guest

Some More Observations

I wish there was a floorplan of the place that we could get access to, and there actually might be one, IF we could figure out where it is and how to get a copy of it.

Until and unless that happens, I've combined written descriptions, observations of the limited photos we have, and some educated guesswork to put together a rough idea of the house's layout.

Basement: Servants' quarters, boiler, laundry room, misc. storage, wine cellar (see last paragraph below).

Main/First Floor: Living room, den, dining room, kitchen, one bathroom. A small barred window can be seen to the left of the front door. This probably serves a small reception room/cloakroom where visitors were "parked" until the lady or master of the house was ready to receive them. There may also be a small "telephone room" somewhere nearby.

Second Floor: Four family bedrooms, two bathrooms.

Third Floor: Ballroom. Putting a "ballroom" in what otherwise would have been an attic was a fairly widespread practice.

Looking at the left end of the house in the picture published with the newspaper article shows windows that clearly establish three floors above-ground. This reopens the question of just exactly what the sloping "something" visible in the large window is.

As for the layout of rooms on the different floors, my guess is on the main floor of the large wing: living room, dining room, kitchen. In the small wing: den and maybe a bathroom.

On the second floor: three bedrooms and one bathroom in the large wing, master bedroom and one bathroom in the small wing.

I've already mentioned the ballroom on the third floor. As I've said, this is mostly guesswork, and I would welcome any other input or discussion.

On a different but somewhat related note I once had the opportunity to tour a privately-owned house here in Portland that is of the same age and style as this house. The wine cellar in the basement had what looked like kitchen cupboard doors on all the racks, and there were narrow shelves in front of the racks. I haven't been in many wine cellars, but this all seemed a little strange to me. However, it finally dawned on me: PROHIBITION. Put jars of preserves on the narrow shelves, close the cupboard doors, and the wine cellar becomes a "fruit room." I wonder how many other houses had similar setups?

djdeath-hag Guest
    Brilliant observations, Roger! I'm really intrigued by this house & the stories that lie within. The Christmas tree, in a Jewish family's home is a puzzling thought.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I hope someone can get up there and get more pics this weekend. If I ever get to LA I will be trying to find the place. Scott should add it to his tour.

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    I wish there was a floorplan of the place that we could get access to, and there actually might be one, IF we could figure out where it is and how to get a copy of it.

Until and unless that happens, I've combined written descriptions, observations of the limited photos we have, and some educated guesswork to put together a rough idea of the house's layout.

Great detective work Roger! I think you may be very close to what the layout is! Wow!

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Great detective work Roger! I think you may be very close to what the layout is! Wow!
    Thank you and DJ for your compliments . However, idiot me didn't re-read the written description closely enough. It states that there is also a glassed in conservatory on the main floor, which I'm guessing is in the right wing, as it describes the other rooms (living room, dining, room, den, and kitchen) as being in the larger wing. That is unless they consider the "bumped out" part with the balcony on top to be a conservatory, which I suppose is possible...

NOVSTORM Guest
    We had Jewish friends that put up a tree, only so they would not be different from friends and neighbors. Strange but true and because they had kids and wanted the kids to be just like the friends that they had.
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 01-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    We had Jewish friends that put up a tree, only so they bwould not be deifferent from friends and neighbors. Strange but true and because they had kids and wanted the kids to be just like the friends that they had.
    I suspect that is the case here. I've also known Jewish people who celebrated the secular aspect of Christmas, and when you get right down to it, that's what MOST people are actually doing, anyway.

Duke Six Guest
    Roger, This thread I check on often. I salute you for bringing this case to the light of day. I know its unbelievable that such a beautiful home could stand vacant (history or no history) that other not so notorius homes exist and have existed for many years. When I was very young, I would go to my granparents farm in the Thumb region of MI. Over 50 plus years ago down the road stood a farmhouse that an older single? widowed? farmer died while peeling potatoes on the covered front porch of this house. In 1970 some of my GPs neibhor kids took me thru the house and it was indeed undisturbed some20 plus years later. Dishes on the old counter and the old radio and furnishings remained untouched. Another neighbor had bouhjt the farm and worked the land up to and around the porch. The barn and outbuilding had an access lane. I was in the area in Dec 08and though the barn has crunbled and the machine shed is in a heap the couch or whats left of it on the covered prch that the old man died on is still there and although weathered the house and windows are still intact. In Huron county there are many decrepit yet still standing time capsules left.
    Last edited by Duke Six; 02-14-2009 at 10:23 PM.

just a couple of Christmas's ago the woman in charge of (volunteerly)putting up our tree at the trainers barn was letting my son help and I said to her "arent you Jewish?" and she just looked at me and said "so?"

I have many many Jewish friends who celebrate Christmas. Its not unusual

So LOCAL HAGS: we need more pictures....please!
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

I've been following this thread since it started because it really is fascinating but haven't had anything to add until now...

So LOCAL HAGS: we need more pictures....please!
    Yes, please!

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    I did go past over the weekend. I had no idea this thread was here, or I would have posted them before. Didn't want to go up to the windows, because I was with a few friends and didn't want to cause a scene. I hope you can make it up there Lily.

My friend Luis Mata found their graves this week, he'll return for better pictures soon.

BTW, someone compared it to the vacant mansion in Rebel Without A Cause. Though that one is a few miles from here, the Griffith Observatory is almost above this house. As is the Ennis house, from House on Haunted Hill, Bladerunner etc.
    And this is why you are the King of the Death Hags.

We bow to you. As you do.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Anyone been up there Yet?

Lisamarie Guest
    all weekened thats what I was wondering...did anyone venture up there yet???? fOR THE LOVE OF God!!!!!!

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    all weekened thats what I was wondering...did anyone venture up there yet???? fOR THE LOVE OF God!!!!!!

EXACTLY! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please someone go up there and take some good pics! If you are afraid of getting arrested we will all pitch in to bail you out I swear!!!

edawnh73 Guest
    We looked at the house yesterday. It is definitely a staircase in the window. You can see the rails and steps very well during the day. We were going to go up to the house to take pictures, but there was a car in the driveway.

Lisamarie Guest
    who the hell!!! Dude I would have walked right up with my most sincere smile and been like who do I have to blow to see the inside of this house!!!!!!!! lOl!!! Sooo thats the domed staircase he walked up hammer in hand waiting to whack his old lady to death!!!!!

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Sooo thats the domed staircase he walked up hammer in hand waiting to whack his old lady to death!!!!!
    Actually, no, that's the staircase to the third-floor ballroom. You're already on the same level as the bedrooms when you're at the bottom of that stairway.

Lisamarie Guest
    okay...my imagination has run wild with this one...

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by edawnh73 View Post
    We looked at the house yesterday. It is definitely a staircase in the window. You can see the rails and steps very well during the day. We were going to go up to the house to take pictures, but there was a car in the driveway.
    I would have walked up there and said that someone told us this place has been vacant for years and we were wondering if you are interested in selling?? Blah blah and then ask if he would be good enough to show you the property and then ask him if you can snap a few pictures..suck up my friend ..suck up..and then ask why no ones lives there and bladdy blah..make the guy your new bff..

just read this whole thread and I can only say WOW Can I come

RogerV Guest

Another Thought

It just occurred to me that since the house is alarmed, it must have SOME electricity turned on, though no stories have yet mentioned seeing any lights on. I'd be very leery of using the circa-1925 electrical wiring. I'm sure it had some additions over the years, but even the newest of them would be nearly 50 years old by now...

I just dropped in to check on this thread, and to say that you guys all kick eleventy-seven different kinds of butt. I'm loving the pictures and info, and even the speculation!
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

HA!! I knew it ...I guess I just didn't want to believe such a beautiful house was falling apart! I might be heading out to So Cal in the near future...it really depends, and if I do I'm heading over to Los Feliz!!!

Pllleeeassseeee next time!!!
    Last edited by girl incognito; 02-16-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Jazbabee Guest
    You should have gone up.....who knows, maybe the car belonged to a fellow death hag !!!!! lol

imadeathhag Guest
    You're da man Scott!

Thank you for an awesome thread Roger!
    Last edited by imadeathhag; 02-16-2009 at 08:05 PM.

octobersky Guest
    It just occurred to me that since the house is alarmed, it must have SOME electricity turned on, though no stories have yet mentioned seeing any lights on. I'd be very leery of using the circa-1925 electrical wiring. I'm sure it had some additions over the years, but even the newest of them would be nearly 50 years old by now...
    That's a really good point. This story is just so fascinating.

Lisamarie Guest
    Yeah dude, I would have walked up and been like hello...Im writing and article for.....and doing research on..... and was wondering about this house..... fill in the blanks....lol!!

DisneyStacy Guest
    I would probably be too scared to approach the house also, but someone has to have a telephoto lens? That would help a lot. I have a fantastic one but I live about 2400 miles away, so it would be kind of a long drive.

havoc Guest
    Hell, I would have put on a Girl Scout uniform and tried to sell them cookies, just to get a look inside the front door.....

BigBootyJudy Guest
    I could be wrong but I believe the building department of the county should have plans on file in the archives somewhere. Anyone willing to go to the county engineering department and requesting if they have the blueprints on file? I will see if I can find anything online or through a few of my work connections.

Lisamarie Guest
    okay its taking over my life just like the damn russian skiers..someone get in that home!!!!! Its killin me!!!!

Valerie Guest
    Living room thru a dirty screen...found on someone's blog:

Sorry...should have paid more attention. Pic is a repeat.

Lisamarie Guest
    that pic gets me can you imagine..that was there living room!!!! Good tatse by the way ....nice sofa .....wonder if he sat therevreading Dantes Divine comedy!!!!!!!Thanks!!

burgtwngrl Guest
    I guess no one has been up there yet.

Old Soul Guest
    Good damn find!

pattykad Guest
    I love this thread. (sigh)

Surely, Scott can get in there!

Me too Anyone been yet?

If all goes well in April I might be headed back to Cali...depends though...but if I do go I'm going to head to this house...
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Lily_Aleister Guest
    I'm in the process of moving so I've had ZERO time to make it up there although I'm so close. Life calls :[

This is fascinating. It reminds me quite a bit of a movie from the late 1980s called "Where Sleeping Dogs Lie," which concerned the murder of a family in their massive, Spanish-style Hollywood mansion. Wonder if there was any creative crossover on that?

BigBootyJudy Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Greg King View Post
    This is fascinating. It reminds me quite a bit of a movie from the late 1980s called "Where Sleeping Dogs Lie," which concerned the murder of a family in their massive, Spanish-style Hollywood mansion. Wonder if there was any creative crossover on that?
    I thought the EXACT same thing! Wasn't also the premise that the house had been slightly cleaned up from the actual murder but for the most part everything else left in place and the place just closed up? Good, little known movie, stars Dylan McDermott, Tom Sizemore and Sharon Stone.
    The movie plot goes a different direction as far as the murder goes but I see the similarities!

RogerV Guest
    I keep wondering what we'd find if we were able to get in. Presumably someone at least threw out perishable items like food, but even if they didn't, most of that stuff would have long ago rotted and dried up.

So-- pots & pans & dishes & kitchen utensils still in their cupboards and drawers? Books & magazines still in their shelves and end tables? Toys and games still sitting out or in their closets? Clothes still hanging in closets & folded in dressers? Cosmetics, toothpaste, first aid supplies still in the bathrooms? Tools in the workshop? Laundry still waiting to be done next to the washer? 1959 phone book still next to the telephone?

Something else that would be very informative, but which would take time and probably money is the probate file. It would list assets and creditors, and the Final Decree of Distribution would say just who got what. It would also who was appointed guardians of the children. Oh well, here I am in Portland, and all this stuff is in L.A....

I suppose the list could go on forever... anyone else?

burgtwngrl Guest
    I'll have to watch that movie where sleeping dogs lie. I've never seen it.

Shano Guest
    I keep wondering what we'd find if we were able to get in. Presumably someone at least threw out perishable items like food, but even if they didn't, most of that stuff would have long ago rotted and dried up.

So-- pots & pans & dishes & kitchen utensils still in their cupboards and drawers? Books & magazines still in their shelves and end tables? Toys and games still sitting out or in their closets? Clothes still hanging in closets & folded in dressers? Cosmetics, toothpaste, first aid supplies still in the bathrooms? Tools in the workshop? Laundry still waiting to be done next to the washer? 1959 phone book still next to the telephone?

Something else that would be very informative, but which would take time and probably money is the probate file. It would list assets and creditors, and the Final Decree of Distribution would say just who got what. It would also who was appointed guardians of the children. Oh well, here I am in Portland, and all this stuff is in L.A....

I suppose the list could go on forever... anyone else?
    My God, thank of the killing you would make on Ebay! lol

I wonder if files, bills, personal papers, etc. are still there. A note was found in the eldest daughters car. So are their still notes from friends passed in Math class in her room in a drawer? Diaries? Maybe papers that explain even more about what drove this Father to want to kill his wife and oldest daughter? Since the kids are not talking, and no one can find the oldest, I bet, if indeed everything was left alone you would find in the house something tied to the murder/suicide. Something written. When you think about it the possibilities are endless!!

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    My God, thank of the killing you would make on Ebay! lol

I wonder if files, bills, personal papers, etc. are still there. A note was found in the eldest daughters car. So are their still notes from friends passed in Math class in her room in a drawer? Diaries? Maybe papers that explain even more about what drove this Father to want to kill his wife and oldest daughter? Since the kids are not talking, and no one can find the oldest, I bet, if indeed everything was left alone you would find in the house something tied to the murder/suicide. Something written. When you think about it the possibilities are endless!!
    I'd guess that some documents were considered to be evidence and ended up in the case file. Others were probably required by the executors to file tax returns and close the estate.

Still, that leaves a lot of possibilities as you say... diaries, letters, children's report cards, household bills, catalogs, even newspapers. If the doctor was involuntarily committed, then here would have been both legal and medical records, but they could have been seized as evidence.

I wonder about the appliances-- would there still be the 1920's-era kitchen stove on tall legs, and a big refrigerator with most of its machinery in the basement? Even if the kitchen had been updated, everything would still be at least 50 years old...

Another sad possibility is that the children may have been left destitute. We have no idea of how much equity was in the house, but if the family was deeply in debt, any assets of the estate would have gone towards paying off creditors. It's possible the children were left with nothing ,
    Last edited by RogerV; 02-24-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    I thought the EXACT same thing! Wasn't also the premise that the house had been slightly cleaned up from the actual murder but for the most part everything else left in place and the place just closed up? Good, little known movie, stars Dylan McDermott, Tom Sizemore and Sharon Stone.
    The movie plot goes a different direction as far as the murder goes but I see the similarities!
    In the film, some possessions were still in the house, and at one point in moving them round Dylan McDermott discovered a bloodstain on the wall (I'll say no more so as not to spoil for anyone who might be intent now on snaring a copy and watching). I just wonder if there was any influence from this case to the film, or maybe I'm just hung up on the abandoned Mediterranean mansion in the Hollywood Hills where a murder took place connection. But I do recommend "Where Sleeping Dogs Lie" for the curious.

Shano Guest
    *Shano checks thread. She sees no one has gone to the house yet. She stomps out of thread.*

Shit!

Can cilviains go into police files and look? Does anyone remember the guy who thought his father killed the Black Dalia? I thought I watched a show on him and he was able to go through his murdered mother's and the Dalias case file? Am I wrong?

My point is, maybe an LA hag could do this to find out more about the case here.
    Meanwhile, PLEASE local hags......pictures!!!!
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Old Soul Guest
    Damn... still nothing new this is too compelling!

Shamrocker99 Guest
    This story is so curiously interesting. I wonder who's car was in the driveway. There has to be some record of who the current owner is cause don't property taxes have to be paid on it or it would be auctioned off or torn down? Such a pretty house too...it's a shame that its been left to sit all this time. It would be great for someone to buy it and give tours or even open a "scary bed and breakfast"! I look forward to watching this thread and seeing the updates!