Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Harold Perelson Murder/Suicide

burgtwngrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    *Shano checks thread. She sees no one has gone to the house yet. She stomps out of thread.*

Shit!
    I know I wish Scott could find a way to get in the house

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrocker99 View Post
    This story is so curiously interesting. I wonder who's car was in the driveway. There has to be some record of who the current owner is cause don't property taxes have to be paid on it or it would be auctioned off or torn down? Such a pretty house too...it's a shame that its been left to sit all this time. It would be great for someone to buy it and give tours or even open a "scary bed and breakfast"! I look forward to watching this thread and seeing the updates!

The current owner is known, and named in the article at the beginning of the thread. He inherited the house from his parents, who bought it from the estate, but never lived in it.

In answer to another question, police reports are usually open to the public. However, I don't know how hard it is to find one that is this old. It could be filed away in some dusty warehouse, or on microfilm... it's just hard to know.

I am a regular reader of this *fabulous* blog:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/

I am going to send the link to this thread to the writer - Larry Harnisch - and see if he can come up with some archival stuff for us.

Great thread!

VCNJ~

imadeathhag Guest
    You think maybe the car was put there to make people think someone is in the house?

GAdeathhag Guest
    someone gooooooo--- I cant take it anymore

Elabee Guest
    Me either- I am dying to see more of this!

I just got a reply from Larry Harnisch from the LATimes blog. He's going to see what he can find for us in the archives!

VCNJ~

stranger_than_strange Guest
    YAY! Nice work VCNJ

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    I just got a reply from Larry Harnisch from the LATimes blog. He's going to see what he can find for us in the archives!

VCNJ~
    I can't wait!!!! I am facinated by abandoned places that look like someone just got up and walked out.
    Very odd!
    Regards,
    mary

Old Soul Guest

VCNJ~
    THANK YOU! You get a cookie for that!!!

I found this auction on ebay while googling information about the Dr...and came across someone selling a yearbook...could this be the same doctor that murdered his wife??? Granted, the ebay site just has a list of names of people who graduated and one of the names is Harold Perelson. Did he graduate from this college?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1931-City-Colleg...216114005r1397
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    I found this auction on ebay while googling information about the Dr...and came across someone selling a yearbook...could this be the same doctor that murdered his wife??? Granted, the ebay site just has a list of names of people who graduated and one of the names is Harold Perelson. Did he graduate from this college?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1931-City-Colleg...216114005r1397
    Well, it's POSSIBLE. According to the marriage announcement, he was 28 in 1937, so that would put him at the right age to be a college student in 1931.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    Well, it's POSSIBLE. According to the marriage announcement, he was 28 in 1937, so that would put him at the right age to be a college student in 1931.
    Thanks Roger!!! I'm hoping it is him...not that I was going to buy the yearbook, but I hope it leads to something!!!
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Shamrocker99 Guest
    The current owner is known, and named in the article at the beginning of the thread. He inherited the house from his parents, who bought it from the estate, but never lived in it.

In answer to another question, police reports are usually open to the public. However, I don't know how hard it is to find one that is this old. It could be filed away in some dusty warehouse, or on microfilm... it's just hard to know.
    Thanks Roger for pointing that out...apparently a brain malfunction on my part...still a shame the house sits empty!

What a wonderful and compelling thread. I read it from beginning to end and couldn't keep quiet anymore. Someone must go there and take the damn pictures. I'm pretty confident the car was left there so that no one would try getting too close (check Google Maps/Earth - is that the same car?). I'm dying for those HQ pics.

Maybe Dr. Perelson and his wife are still there and ready for a close-up? (Say "cheese"!)
    Last edited by Schultz; 03-10-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

debeth88 Guest
    I read this thread from top to bottom. A very interesting subject. I wonder what the connection of the former owners to the now said owner really is. I just can't understand how they can let such a beautiful house rot.

There is alot more to this story, and I am curious to know what it is.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Very interesting indeed. There may be more to the story. It'll be interesting to see if it comes out.

Old Soul Guest
    Gad i almost wanna drive out there myself but i cant afford to drive out of the county

growl Guest

Link of present owner to Perelsons?????

Quote Originally Posted by debeth88 View Post
    I read this thread from top to bottom. A very interesting subject. I wonder what the connection of the former owners to the now said owner really is. I just can't understand how they can let such a beautiful house rot.

There is alot more to this story, and I am curious to know what it is.
    I've been thinking the same thing. I think the present owner has a connection to the Perelsons. Why on earth would you buy such an expensive piece of property and let it rot, or use it for storage. I'm sure there must be a link here.
    I'll keep checking for more info. Somebody has to know the scoop!!!! It's driving me crazy.

It must have occurred to someone here that the owner and his parents may have been related to the Perelsons. The son, at 77, is even of the right age to have been married to the eldest daughter, if she lived long enough to marry, though no spouse seems to be in evidence at this time, and the siblings are still considered AWOL. I could imagine that, at least initially, they were raised under assumed names to protect them from the notoriety.

It could also be the the owner and/or his parents worked for the Perelsons back in the day, or the previous tenants, which included some movie people. People get some unique ideas if they're former servants who became successful--- buying the home of a previous employer for example, only in this case, it may have turned out to be more trouble than the sense of triumph was worth.

Or it could be they were keeping the house as a cover for the Perelsons' children--- for some weird reason they still might want a connection to the house, without actually showing themselves. (Well, apparently some of their stuff IS still there, though wouldn't it be cheaper to keep it in storage?)

Oh man I would love to spend a day going through the closets and dresser draws in this house.

hlh004 Guest
    i want to open the presents....

<_<
    -----

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hlh004 View Post
    i want to open the presents....

<_<
    -----

lol exactly!! And read diaries and look though personal papers!

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    It must have occurred to someone here that the owner and his parents may have been related to the Perelsons. The son, at 77, is even of the right age to have been married to the eldest daughter, if she lived long enough to marry, though no spouse seems to be in evidence at this time, and the siblings are still considered AWOL. I could imagine that, at least initially, they were raised under assumed names to protect them from the notoriety.

It could also be the the owner and/or his parents worked for the Perelsons back in the day, or the previous tenants, which included some movie people. People get some unique ideas if they're former servants who became successful--- buying the home of a previous employer for example, only in this case, it may have turned out to be more trouble than the sense of triumph was worth.

Or it could be they were keeping the house as a cover for the Perelsons' children--- for some weird reason they still might want a connection to the house, without actually showing themselves. (Well, apparently some of their stuff IS still there, though wouldn't it be cheaper to keep it in storage?)
    Honestly....it would probably be cheaper to torch the house for insurance purposes, or even have the house razed and a new one rebuilt since it was the site of murder. But no, someone has kept it all these years as some sort of shrine, frozen in time......leading one to believe that the owner MUST have some sort of emotional tie/connection to the family that lived there.......nothing else would make sense

RogerV Guest
    What we need is for someone to go to the Los Angeles Public Library and dig into the city directory "reverse address lookup" section. That would give us a better idea of who the occupants were over the years and how many of them there were. I strongly suspect a list of Jewish names would be the result. I mean nothing derogatory by this, I just think it highly probable.

MorbidMolly Guest
    What we need is for someone to go to the Los Angeles Public Library and dig into the city directory "reverse address lookup" section. That would give us a better idea of who the occupants were over the years and how many of them there were. I strongly suspect a list of Jewish names would be the result. I mean nothing derogatory by this, I just think it highly probable.

I can`t find anything online....your right...someone would have to do some digging

Shamrocker99 Guest
    Can't one of you go undercover out there and cozy up to the owner and see if you can pry some information out of him??? And then of course blab it all to the rest of us????

debeth88 Guest
    Check out the property informationon this house. What do you guys think? http://www.realtor.com/property-deta...90027_a044e601

Check out the property informationon this house. What do you guys think? http://www.realtor.com/property-deta...90027_a044e601
    Thanks for the info debeth!! I noticed it said the last sale was in 1974!!?? I thought the current owner's parents bought it in a probate auction shortly after the murder sucide??!!!

As Alice once said...this is getting curiouser and curiouser!!!!!

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    Thanks for the info debeth!! I noticed it said the last sale was in 1974!!??
    That MIGHT be when the current owner inherited it from his parents.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    I can`t find anything online....your right...someone would have to do some digging
    It's highly improbable that anyone would go to the time and expense of posting old city directories online. The internet has probably killed them, but there used to be city directories pubished every year, and they frequently included a reverse address lookup section.

debeth88 Guest

Yea I thought it was quite odd that there was a sale of it in 1974. But you got a point......it probaly was when it switched hands.

debeth88 Guest
    Another thought on this. While houses are going for over a million there, that house was lasted last assessed at $163,470 on 2008. It really must be in the dumps.

IrishBabe Guest

The LA Times article said that he inherited it from his mother when she died in 1994.

debeth88 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBabe View Post
    The LA Times article said that he inherited it from his mother when she died in 1994.

Can you please send that link. I am interested reading it. It would be appreciated.

burgtwngrl Guest

VCNJ~

Any update on this?

IrishBabe Guest
    Can you please send that link. I am interested reading it. It would be appreciated.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...9.story?page=2

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBabe View Post
    There's always the possibility that there's a typo in either the article or the online description...

Already some accounts don't jibe... one says the doctor drank acid, another said he took pills.

IrishBabe Guest
    There's always the possibility that there's a typo in either the article or the online description...

Already some accounts don't jibe... one says the doctor drank acid, another said he took pills.

It's also possible that the husband bought the property, passed the deed to his wife in the 70's, and then when she died it passed to her son.

Or, as you said, the online description is wrong.

According to the reports at the time, he drank acid. I could only find one account that said anything about pills.

debeth88 Guest

I read that in the newspaer archives too. I would love to read the actual police report on this subject.

Ahhh yes!!!!

Ooh, I would so love to see the inside of that house!!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    me too!!!

Sam Guest
    I have a 2007 Beetle that gets a little over 350 miles on a tank of regular gas and a Garmin NAV system, it seats 4.

OK, so who lives near me and would like to share the cost of gas and motel bills to drive to L.A. and look inside that house?
    We could go on a Dearly Departed Tour at the same time.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Oh Sam, if I lived near you, I would be there in a hot minute!! All these cool death places are so far from me

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I have a 2007 Beetle that gets a little over 350 miles on a tank of regular gas and a Garmin NAV system, it seats 4.

OK, so who lives near me and would like to share the cost of gas and motel bills to drive to L.A. and look inside that house?
    We could go on a Dearly Departed Tour at the same time.
    Well, I have a black 1965 Chrysler New Yorker that gets 13/14 miles per gallon of "plus" gas, and it holds about 10 people, with room for several bodies in the trunk. A very appropriate Death Hag car, but I'd be coming from the wrong direction...

Shano Guest
    Damn it! No one ever lives close enough to me to car pool to a death scene! *sigh*

This is so interesting. The guy that owns it now HAS to have some personal relation to that family. I mean, come on, if he wasnt, human nature wouldve come into play, and he wouldve opened them gifts first thing. I know I wouldve I go inside that house so bad. this is definitly one of the best threads great find and post

BigBootyJudy Guest
    I would love to go up there with a camera and just play it off like I was some bimbo that "wanted to take pictures of this fascinating house I stumbled on because my friends live down the street" LOL Anyone want to try the bimbo route with me and see if we can charm our way inside?

oooo ya i bet that might work. We could wear some low cut shirts, tight pants. Im in