Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aretha Franklin

FannyB1923 Guest

Aretha Franklin

I would like to give a shout out to The Queen of Soul for apparently being the only VIP during the Inaugural Week to have enough sense to wear a hat!

It was bitterly cold, and weather really did demand some headcovering.
    But apparently a lot of people didn't want to spoil their close ups.

Aretha looked fabulous. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...A22IAJ0D.1.jpg

One of the few people that can actually be considered a legend.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I agree Kman, completely! She IS the queen of soul, and there are no pretenders. I love her music and always will--she has no equal.

RubySlippers Guest
    but there is such thing as too much diva, don't you think? i mean, sure she deserves her props but do you have to be a bitch to do it?
    just saying....

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    but there is such thing as too much diva, don't you think? i mean, sure she deserves her props but do you have to be a bitch to do it?
    just saying....
    I think bottom line they all are to some extent, I mean think Diana Ross?
    Let's talk bitch and diva. From just a talent perspective, though...I really don't think Aretha has any equal. If you bring the bitch/diva thing into it, there wouldn't be anyone of note left to choose from! Goes with the territory!

RubySlippers Guest
    hmmmmm....

Guest Guest
    I like Aretha, but when she sang the U.S Anthem, I thought she sounded like she had ants in her pants!

I joined a FB group in honor of THE HAT!!!

Guest Guest
    even she said her performance was "ehh" I just recall hearing it and saying out loud "what in the sam hell are you doing patti labelling those notes aretha!!! just sing it!!!"

it was not her best performance...she totally got lost in the middle of it, was off key then flat then found the key then lost it again.

but by in by...she is still the shit!

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Man, I love Aretha but hand on heart I have to say her performance at Obama's inaugural can be summed up in one word: shit.

Gorey Guest
    It seems only Americans know who the King is, the Duke, The Boss, the Queen of Soul, The Angel of Harlem, the other Duke, and on what day the Music died.

I loved the Hat. I thought it was very stylish for her.

scott69 Guest
    How much does she weigh now 400 lbs.?

Say a little prayer for Aretha Franklin?

ARETHA FRANKLIN PRAYER VIGIL

Photo by: splash news online

In Detroit, a prayer vigil has been organized as the Queen of Soul, ARETHA FRANKLIN, undergoes mystery medical procedure.

Last month, Franklin canceled all concert appearances and personal appearances under doctor's orders.

It is unknown what Aretha is suffering from and what procedure she's undergoing.

Rumors have swept the blogosphere that Franklin may be suffering from a form of throat cancer.

Detroit Councilwoman JoAnn Watson and others gathered downtown yesterday in Motown Wednesday to pray for the ailing superstar en masse.

Aretha issued a statement saying "All prayers are good."

WDIV Detroit reported that Watson spoke to the singer before the vigil. "We asked her, 'Where would you like us to have it? Inside? Outside?' She said, 'Where the Detroit statue is — [that's] a beautiful place to have it,' " Watson told WDIV. "So we are standing, and praying, on her behalf, and it's a blessing to do that."
    Last edited by coconn04; 12-02-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

ajlposh Guest
    Ugh doesn't sound good

Aretha Franklin Cancer? Singer Has Pancreatic Cancer: Report

Get Entertainment Alerts

A week after undergoing surgery for a mystery illness, the National Enquirer reports (via PopCrunch) that famed singer Aretha Franklin has incurable pancreatic cancer.
    The surgery, labeled a success, came under mysterious circumstances. This is the first time this illness has been reported. In November, she canceled all concerts through May 2011 due to "medical reasons."
    The Enquirer's report lists pancreatic survival rates at 5-10%, and even lower for someone of Franklin's age and weight.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Here's another link to the story...

Aretha Franklin Has Cancer, Family Confirms

Aretha Franklin is battling cancer, a family friend has announced to FOX 2 News in Detroit.

According to the report, family and friends close to the Queen of Soul are "very concerned," but say she is doing "okay." Family expressed hopes to FOX that fans of Aretha, 68, will send prayers and good thoughts.

In a post at PopCrunch, a National Enquirer story (not available online) is cited saying Franklin's cancer is pancreatic. The same report notes sources saying Aretha has less than a year to live.

"Though the Enquirer is known for its often-outlandish take on unbiased journalism," PopCrunch writes, "it should be noted that the publication was the first in the world to report Patrick Swayze and Michael Landon's battles with pancreatic cancer, a disease that has a less than 10 percent survival rate and ultimately killed both actors. They also blew the lid off Christina Applegate's breast cancer scare in 2008."
    FOX 2 in Detroit was unable to confirm the specific type of cancer. Franklin underwent a "highly successful" surgery last week, though the cause was not revealed.

"God is still in control," Aretha's post-surgery statement read. "I had superb doctors and nurses whom were blessed by all the prayers of the city and the country."

News of Franklin's unspecified operation came a month after she announced the cancellation of all concert dates and personal appearances through May on the order of her doctors. That announcement came after Franklin's brief visit to a Detroit hospital -- no details were given about her condition at the time.

It's been a difficult several months for Franklin; her adult son, Eddie, was beaten by three men at a Detroit gas station in September. A month earlier, she broke ribs in a fall, causing her to miss two free concerts in New York.

Aretha Franklin, born in Memphis and raised in Detroit, is the singer of hits like 'Respect,' 'Chain of Fools,' and '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.'
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

No Ree-Ree, no !!!

Does anyone know what kind of surgery would be associated with pancreatic cancer? I guess it's possible the cancer was found during surgery for something else. A few months ago she had a fall and was hospitalized.

ceege Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    No Ree-Ree, no !!!

Does anyone know what kind of surgery would be associated with pancreatic cancer? I guess it's possible the cancer was found during surgery for something else. A few months ago she had a fall and was hospitalized.
    It's possible that when they scanned her for post fall injuries, they found the cancer as well as the broken ribs. Very sad.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    pancreatic cancer is a swift death sentence.

GeneAutrysBoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    No Ree-Ree, no !!!

It depends on where the tumor is located on the pancreas. My mother developed pancreatic cancer and ultimately died because of it. So did an aunt of mine. Cancer doesn't run through my family, it gallops. My mother was able to have surgery for hers. The tumor was located at the beginning of the pancreas and not the tail. It was caught early. Usually by the time a tumor is found on the tail of the pancreas it has spread to other organs and the outlook is dim. This cancer is a monster and very few survive it.
    I do hope and pray that Aretha beats it all to hell and tells it to fuck itself. If anybody can, she can.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneAutrysBoot View Post
    It depends on where the tumor is located on the pancreas. My mother developed pancreatic cancer and ultimately died because of it. So did an aunt of mine. Cancer doesn't run through my family, it gallops. My mother was able to have surgery for hers. The tumor was located at the beginning of the pancreas and not the tail. It was caught early. Usually by the time a tumor is found on the tail of the pancreas it has spread to other organs and the outlook is dim. This cancer is a monster and very few survive it.
    I do hope and pray that Aretha beats it all to hell and tells it to fuck itself. If anybody can, she can.
    GeneAutrysBoot -

I hope your mother survived it...since it was caught early. Thanks so much for the thorough answer - I've never heard of anyone having surgery as part of "treatment" for this awful cancer.

This makes me sick, just sick.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Paige B Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    pancreatic cancer is a swift death sentence.
    Yep...pretty much. I read she has a 5% chance of survival or so...

FannyB1923 Guest
    There's an operation called a "Whipple procedure" done on some pancreatic cancer patients. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipple_operation Friend of ours had it and lived over two years after the diagnosis. Dr. Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) had it performed as well.
    Not a cure, but it buys time for some people.

Feel better, Miss Aretha!

I hope she pulls thru - she's one of my favorite singers. I have a lot of her albums. I especially love her old blues stuff she did way back when.

pvezz Guest
    My husband's aunt passed away from pancreatic cancer just 2 months after she was diagnosed. This form of cancer is particularly fast-moving and deadly.

rjbrasher Guest
    ugh this sucks. i feel like im about to loose a good friend. i have followed her work and music for so long. why is it all the good people die from horrible deaths such as cancer

Areatha Franklin, Died from Panceatic cancer.

Dang, been groovin' with this gal since the sixties. Mispelled here name too. RIP Girl!
    Last edited by cleanskull; 12-09-2010 at 08:43 AM.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

She passed away. Merge my thread here plz.

Unless I just misheard what they said on "The View".

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    She passed away. Merge my thread here plz.
    Who passed away?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Ghostyhead Guest
    not yet

gas_chick Guest
    I thought she had just been diagnosed.

I just read she was alive and going to tour in late Spring. I hope this is wrong!

Jacksmum Guest
    I heard that she was alive and that her operation was a success. Twitter is reporting that she is still alive.

Jacksmum Guest
    She isn't dead. Real time news is still reporting she has cancer not that she has died.

Katrinawitch Guest
    I just Googled her, and it didn't say anything about her death. I hope she's hanging in there! It seems like lately, once a celeb announces their cancer, they pass away soon after.

ajlposh Guest
    Just googled her. Doesn't say she's dead, but it probably won't be long

gemini33 Guest
    Dang, been groovin' with this gal since the sixties. Mispelled here name too. RIP Girl!
    HaHa. Mel, you may have just inadvertently started a internet rumor that might now spread like a wildfire.

From all reports I've seen, she's still alive.

A chatterbox Grandchild made me do it. Total wrong on my part. Nevermind this thread. Will not jump like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Who passed away?
    My mind did.

Oh wow I just called my dad and told him. Better call him back!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

pvezz Guest
    My mind did.

OMG; you scared the hell out of me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    OMG; you scared the hell out of me!!!!
    True that! I'm not ready to say good-bye to Aretha, yet. Aretha and Stevie Wonder have got to hang on for a few more years...at least until the pop charts can develop a few solid stars with their class and style -- I am emphasizing class!

Khaos696 Guest
    I jusy read that the Westboro Freaks are going to Protest at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral, I swear God Forbid Aretha passes away if those Moron's decide to come to Detroit to protest at her Funeral I'm gonna go pay my respects, and Round House Kick a Biotch..

Forever-27 Guest
    Yes its very sad, we are about to lose a legend. The doctors have given her less then 5 months to live. The survival rate for her type of cancer is less then 4%. Shes doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Khaos696 View Post
    I jusy read that the Westboro Freaks are going to Protest at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral, I swear God Forbid Aretha passes away if those Moron's decide to come to Detroit to protest at her Funeral I'm gonna go pay my respects, and Round House Kick a Biotch..
    You can't be serious...those fuckers will do anything for attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Yes its very sad, we are about to lose a legend. The doctors have given her less then 5 months to live. The survival rate for her type of cancer is less then 4%. Shes doomed
    That may be the case; she's battled with her weight for years; I seem to recall she's diabetic. Also, she's 68 years old. Just recovering from this surgery will be an uphill battle for her.

The first time I paid attention to pancreatic cancer was when Michael Landon died. He was diagnosed in April 1991, and died in July- four months later.
    Also, it devastated Jimmy Carter's family- both parents and three of four children....which sounds like some toxic agent on the family farm.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Yeah this news totally bummed me out.
    Regards,
    Mary

This hit me like a kick in the stomach. I grew up with Aretha's music. She does a Christmas concert every year in downtown Detroit. Last year, considered going but decided not to as too close to relatives' deaths. I was considering it this year and then heard it was cancelled due to her health problems. Never thought it would be as bad as this. Her family is not denying the pancreatic cancer story which they would be if it was false. Now, most likely, no more concerts from the Queen of Soul. I feel like I'm losing a family member.