Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aretha Franklin

I saw Aretha a few years back performing Christmas and Gospel songs for hospital patients at Sinai hospital in Detroit at Christmas. Mind-blowing performance. I interviewed her afterward, and was blown away by her graciousness. My heart is breaking over this. My prayers are with you Lady of Soul.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachamama View Post
    I saw Aretha a few years back performing Christmas and Gospel songs for hospital patients at Sinai hospital in Detroit at Christmas. Mind-blowing performance. I interviewed her afterward, and was blown away by her graciousness. My heart is breaking over this. My prayers are with you Lady of Soul.
    Lucky lucky you!
    You got to meet and interview a uniquely American National treasure!
    I wish her peace as she deals with this challenge. She has a strong faith in God and that will help.
    Regards,
    Mary

But then again, God can't cure cancer...

ajlposh Guest
    Well guys, we don't need to worry. Aretha just announced that she never had pancreatic cancer.

This is not believable casting. Franklin is about 300lbs heavier than Berry.
    Wendy Williams(TALK SHOW HOST) put her two cents in, suggesting Angela Bassett, Jennifer Hudson, Queen Latifah or Taraji P. Henson could handle the role.

I think it should go to Jennifer Hudson - myself.
    Jennifer can do her justice vocally.
    Maybe I could have Angelina Jolie portray me in the movie of my life.

© Martin Roe/Retna Ltd.

The Oscar-winner recently admitted she wouldn't feel comfortable taking on a role in a musical picture, saying, "If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."

But Franklin is determined to get Berry to sign up and she is urging the actress not to dismiss the part.
    In a statement read out on the "The Wendy Williams Show," Franklin says, "She shouldn't underestimate her own talent ... I never expected Halle to sing. She's an actress, not a singer. Many actors have portrayed vocalists by lip-syncing to the artist's original recordings."
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

radiojane Guest
    In fairness she wasn't always that heavy. But still have a singer that can act, like Hudson, do the part.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    In fairness she wasn't always that heavy. But still have a singer that can act, like Hudson, do the part.
    I agree. Why pay to see Halle lip Synch?
    You might remember Aretha being thin when she was younger too but Halle is 40 now.
    At least Jennifer is in her 20's.

I found younger pictures of Aretha.
    If we're talking about looks only don't forget that Aretha used to be all that in her day.

Last edited by coconn04; 01-25-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    Well guys, we don't need to worry. Aretha just announced that she never had pancreatic cancer.
    I didn't let this slip...... LOL..........

What's this about? I didn't hear this.

I think Jennifer Hudson or Queen Latifah should portray Aretha. Not Halle.

Aretha Looked thinner and heavily made up in her video clip.

GO to 10.40 in the video to see her.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v-SYKJC80c
    It's her first public appearance since she was hospitalized, reportedly for pancreatic cancer.

Aretha Franklin made a surprise, pre-taped appearance at the end of the Grammy tribute to her.
    "Thank you ladies, I love you all," Franklin said from her Detroit home after Christina Aguilera (who was critisized on Twitter for mumbling the lyrics), Jennifer Hudson, Florence Welch, Martina McBride and Yolanda Adams sang a medley of her hits.
    "I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to be with you this evening," added Franklin, who has won 18 Grammys. "I especially want to thank all of you who took the time to send me get-well cards and flowers, beautiful flowers… and most importantly, prayers during my time of hospitalization."
    Franklin has reportedly been battling pancreatic cancer.
    "I especially want to thank Mr. Clive Davis for his concern," she added.
    Franklin went on, "I wish that I could have been with you all tonight but since I couldn't… next year, OK?"
    "To all the Grammy nominees, good luck!" she added. "Thank you so much. I love you. Have a good evening."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...pearance-99199

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Wow! She does look a lot thinner.

And yeah, a lot of make-up. But I think she looks great considering what she's been through. Recently...and just in her life overall.

Gotta love the Queen of Soul. (Well, nobody else does but I do. I've always been a huge fan of hers.)

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Wow! She does look a lot thinner.

And yeah, a lot of make-up. But I think she looks great considering what she's been through. Recently...and just in her life overall.

Gotta love the Queen of Soul. (Well, nobody else does but I do. I've always been a huge fan of hers.)

yea she lost some weight usually when you have cancer or anything major you loose tons of weight my poor dad had prostate cancer and all in 1 week he went from 170 t0 133lbs. it was horrible.

but she looks really good. I shed a little tear and applaud her when i saw her on the grammys, Til she take her last breath she is a fighter, and i admire her and others on that. I would of just given up by now. I can't stand being ill, or taken meds that makes me ill.

I thought she looked pretty darned great. The Queen of Soul rules!
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Wow -- I hate that she is sick, but she looks better than she has in years!

Knew you'd be a vision in white ...How'd you get those pants so tight? ...Don't know what you're doin' ...But you must be livin' right"

WEll Aretha is not trying to tell us that she just realized the pigs fees and Ham hocks were not part of a WHOLE FOOD diet. Here I am thinking her weight lost was the result of illness.

The Grammy Award-winning singer will also release an album that month with Wal-Mart Stores Inc. More personally, she's working on losing more weight from her frame, which is noticeably slimmer since her December surgery.

"I want to not only maintain the weight I am at now, but better it, by one dress size," the Queen of Soul said Wednesday in a phone interview with The Associated Press.
    The 68-year-old Franklin underwent surgery for an undisclosed ailment in December. She calls it "more than minor surgery."
    At the time, word spread that her situation was dire, and she received a multitude of prayers and well wishes from fans. She dismissed reports that had her on her death bed: "You can't stop people from saying whatever it is they're going to say; you have no control over that."
    Since her surgery, Franklin has been working out and walking on a track three times a week for at least a mile.
    But she said her biggest health change has been in her diet: She's given up her beloved chitterlings, pigs' feet and ham hocks in favor of a Whole Foods-type diet, and she hopes to get down to a size 16.
    "They're off my diet. They just really don't fit with Whole Foods," she said. "I had it for enough years that I don't miss it. You can't continue to eat things that are not good for you."
    She acknowledges that after she resumes performing, it'll be hard to eat diet foods.
    "When you come off (a high-energy concert), a carrot or some celery just isn't going to work," she said. "I've gotta do a fresh fruit thing ... and come up with some tasty and satisfying recipes that are going to work for me after concerts."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/...retha_franklin

Edna St. Vincent Millay

JudyAnn Guest
    Could Aretha have been hospitalized for bariatric (lap band/gastric bypass) surgery? She'd certainly be a candidate and this would explain the secrecy and the sudden weight loss. Hope so.

Why are people so secretive about lap band?

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    Why are people so secretive about lap band?

i guess cause in their mind they feel they have failed dieting and exercise. And they feel people are going to criticize them for it.

i have a friend whom he was 450lbs and he said he had a big operation but would never share what it was but in like less then 2 month his skin was hanging off of him. Its like ok this is no brainer you got the lap band or that other surgery where they take part of your stomach out..etc And he finally said that is what he had and was ashamed to tell people.

after cosmetic surgery and the rest of the weight later he is 165lb. and looks great. Hell i wouldnt give a shit what people had to say if i knew the surgery was going to save my life.

Those surgeries don't always work. I work with a few women who have had the lap-band or the GB and they are still overweight. One of the managers has had both now!

radiojane Guest
    At her age would she be a candidate??

There is a lot of shame attached to those surgeries. Mostly, because a lot of thinner people, who have no idea what you have to do beforehand to qualify for the surgery (At least here in Canada), think that they're "taking the easy way out".

I'm in the beginning stages of the qualification for gastric bypass. I will never have it, because it killed my father,and I'm a genetic carbon copy, down to the moles on my back. But my doctor pointed out that what you have to go through beforehand, which is like a 'boot camp' for changing your habits, may just be what I need to make the change and lose the weight. From what I understand, the hope is that at least a percentage of the patients will walk away not needing the surgery. I hope to be one of them.

No one, unless they been through it, has any idea how far from the "easy road" gastric bypass is.

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    At her age would she be a candidate??

There is a lot of shame attached to those surgeries. Mostly, because a lot of thinner people, who have no idea what you have to do beforehand to qualify for the surgery (At least here in Canada), think that they're "taking the easy way out".

I'm in the beginning stages of the qualification for gastric bypass. I will never have it, because it killed my father,and I'm a genetic carbon copy, down to the moles on my back. But my doctor pointed out that what you have to go through beforehand, which is like a 'boot camp' for changing your habits, may just be what I need to make the change and lose the weight. From what I understand, the hope is that at least a percentage of the patients will walk away not needing the surgery. I hope to be one of them.

No one, unless they been through it, has any idea how far from the "easy road" gastric bypass is.

Awe well i wish you lots of luck, and proud that you are trying. Most don't get that far. I always had a high metabolic and such, but once i had my thyroid removed at 16, and had my kids i been about 70lbs over weight since and now, i understand how HARD it is to even lose 1lbs. There are days im like seriously I can't do it. But im sure if i had the will power, and great positive support system i could do it.

While I love Aretha and all, I hate to say it, but I think she's just putting on a "brave front" for her fans...

It's the cancer making her thin, I feel.

Giada Guest
    I agree with you Aries ...

Patrick Swayze made every attempt to keep his cancer personal. Why would anyone want to be confronted with the ugly headlines that ensue. "Blank," at deaths door, etc.
    Last edited by Giada; 02-18-2011 at 01:20 PM.

FannyB1923 Guest
    It crossed my mind that she had bariatric surgery but had complications- happens that way too often. Then I'd understand her being all secretive about the surgery.

I hope that's all it is and she's on the mend.
    On the other hand, rapid weight loss is often the first sign of pancreatic cancer.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    I agree with many posts here that said Aretha may have had bariatric surgery because I thought that as well. I really hope that she does not have cancer but if so, she has to be realistic about the situation. Claiming that she doesn't have pancreatic cancer isn't going to just make it go away-if only it were that simple. Still, I can understand the hesitancy to admit to such a dire diagnosis but she could really help others who may be facing the same health issue. No matter what, I still love and admire her and wish her nothing but the best!

Zoom
    Talk show host Wendy Williams, right, was in Detroit on Friday to interview Aretha Franklin. The episode will air today at 10 a.m. / SARAH RICE/"The Wendy Williams Show"

Wendy Williams is calling her metro Detroit tea-time date with Aretha Franklin an awesome experience, but in an interview Tuesday with Names & Faces, she wouldn't reveal what she learned regarding the Queen of Soul's health. She said fans should tune in to "The Wendy Williams Show" show today to find out.

"Look, she gave it up," Williams said of her sit-down interview Friday with Franklin at the Townsend Hotel in Birmingham. "She will reveal what's going on with her health in her own words. She didn't wince or act offended by any of the questions."

Williams laughed about certain challenges the interview posed for her. Franklin, for example, asked Williams about rumors suggesting that the talk-show host would be appearing on the next edition of "Dancing With the Stars." (She is. The lineup was officially revealed Monday.)

"I have nothing but respect for someone who answers you honestly while looking at you in the eye," Williams said. "But she asked me to stay and have gumbo with her ... and oh my God, I couldn't tell her I had to leave to do something with 'Dancing With the Stars.' "

Williams said that she and Franklin, 68, have forged a "special bond and friendship." It began about three years ago when Detroit was a test market for Williams' TV show and Franklin was a frequent viewer.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Aretha Franklin says she's lost 85 pounds as part of an ongoing effort to drop weight.
    The legendary singer said in a taped interview that aired Wednesday on "The Wendy Williams Show" that she's been trying to shed pounds ever since looking at pictures of herself and deciding she was "entirely too fat."
    Williams interviewed Franklin on Friday at a Detroit-area hotel.
    The 68-year-old Franklin underwent surgery for an undisclosed ailment in December and didn't go into detail about it during the interview with Williams.
    The Queen of Soul" did say a recurring pain in her side last year was her "first inkling that something was not what it should be

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    While I love Aretha and all, I hate to say it, but I think she's just putting on a "brave front" for her fans...

It's the cancer making her thin, I feel.
    ITA, Aries. It's heartbreaking to see Aretha starting to show the effects of cancer. The news about her being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer hit me hard. No one on this planet will ever have a voice like Aretha's.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Reecy Guest
    Oprah is so mad that she didn't score this interview with Aretha and Wendy Williams won out.

It is interesting that now that Aretha weight is down that she is dressing more modestly.They say she lost 85 pounds now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_855059.html

It's a whole new Aretha Franklin. And a whole lot less of her, too.
    After her winter hospitalization and subsequent surgery, Franklin pledged that she'd work to live a healthier, more fit lifestyle. Appearing Thursday on "The View," the results were obvious. She's lost 85 pounds, and while the drop was due to her surgery, she's also doing her best to keep it off.

"I feel wonderful, I've got more energy, I've changed my diet, going to Whole Foods now, getting the best stuff," she said to cheers from the audience and hosts. "Dropped the chitlins, drop the ham hocks, getting some -- I won't say better food, I'll say other food."
    While she still won't reveal her winter ailment -- speculation was that she had pancreatic cancer, something she denied.
    Speaking to the AP back in February, Franklin said, "I want to not only maintain the weight I am at now, but better it, by one dress size."
    And just as she promised, gone are the pigs' feet from her diet.
    "When you come off (a high-energy concert), a carrot or some celery just isn't going to work," she said at the time. "I've gotta do a fresh fruit thing ... and come up with some tasty and satisfying recipes that are going to work for me after concerts."

There was a comment from an article where it was noticed that her voice was a little shaky and she soon then touched on that issue saying the weightloss has ultimately affected her voice, but her commitment to good music is unraveled.
    “Your weight affects your voice,” she admitted. “It does mine, anyway. The tone is a little fuller when you’re heavier. At the weight I was at before — what I would call my fighting weight — I had my best, best, best voice,” she explained. “It’s still generally the same, but I can hear that little bit of difference.”
    http://freddyo.com/aretha-franklin-s...breaking-news/

PHOTO:
    Last edited by coconn04; 04-28-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Just my two cents - and they really aren't worth much except I lost someone very, very dear to me because of pancreatic cancer and I have first hand knowlege about it...

She looks "sickly" thinning....in other words, she is losing weight - she just doesn't look like the picture of health.

I hope I'm wrong. But I really don't think so.

And that's about all I can say on the subject because everytime I think about pancreatic cancer and how people suffer with it - I get physically sick to my stomach.

endsleigh03 Guest
    So it isn't from bariatric surgery?

There were tons of rumors swirling about that.

DonnaMc Guest
    I still think she is the "soul sister!"

just watched a news video confirming pancreatic cancer. abc news. i dont know if this link will work... look for video.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=14273578
    ??You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.?

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    One of the few times I wish I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyYesIAmSpecial View Post
    just watched a news video confirming pancreatic cancer. abc news. i dont know if this link will work... look for video.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=14273578
    That's an old video - not recent. She denied that news after it was leaked out.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Aretha sang her way out of a ticket.

While outside the Neelys restaurant.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...-10391698.html

The meter reader is going to hear about this.

Aretha and the National Anthem

Aretha just sang the National Anthem at the Tigers/Rangers game in Detroit. She absolutely gave me goosebumps - so good to hear that voice sounding so good and healthy!
    Archer Fact: You can??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Not looking good for the Queen of Soul. Living in the Detroit area, I thought Ree Ree would live forever.
    Archer Fact: You can??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)