Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joaquin Phoenix

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank 'N' Howie View Post
    Afraid to say anything for fear of being told I am wrong...

*snort*

Nerak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronVail View Post
    That's a bit of a stereotype.
    A stereo type is does not necessarily have to have a negative conotation ... if it is true

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    *Dials 911 cause she fell off her chair and broke her hip*

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    A stereo type is does not necessarily have to have a negative conotation ... if it is true
    It's not true.

A stereotype is a preconceived idea that attributes certain characteristics (in general) to all the members of class or set. The term is often used with a negative conotation when referring to an oversimplified, exaggerated, or demeaning assumption that a particular individual posseses the characteristics associated with the class due to his or her membership in it. Stereotypes can be used to deny individuals respect or legitimacy based on their membership in that group.
    You said vast majority.

Ruffian Guest
    Afraid to say anything because I'm not light enough. I didn't know that I wasn't....until now.

Nerak Guest
    Indeed I did, and I stand by that, if I were to make a list of all the celebrities that seem to be not quite stable, the list would be long, and if it is all a ruse to make us think they are a bit 'off' well then I say, they are even more so

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    He's an actor; I'm SURE he knows what he's doing or is at least conscious of his actions. If this is a publicity stunt of some kind I love this sort of angle.

InBruges Guest
    I thought for a second that it was serious that he was going downhill and that he was serious about rapping. I was a bit worried about him. Then i saw the perez vid and heard about his "meltdown" in front of Casey Affleck and now the Letterman appearance. Maybe it's some spoof like this is Spinal Tap and it will be premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I like a good freak show just like the next guy myself...Makes life less trivial...

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    I'm convinced that this is all just a put on for that Casey Affleck documentary. This makes me think of that movie Pauly Shore is dead.

InBruges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post
    I'm convinced that this is all just a put on for that Casey Affleck documentary. This makes me think of that movie Pauly Shore is dead.
    Well Pauly Shore's career is certainly dead. hope Joaquin's isn't.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Pauly Shore is still ALIVE!?!?!?! Next you are gonna tell me that Carrot Top is for real!

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Indeed I did, and I stand by that, if I were to make a list of all the celebrities that seem to be not quite stable, the list would be long, and if it is all a ruse to make us think they are a bit 'off' well then I say, they are even more so
    And if you were to make a list of the non-artists/celebrities in your life, or in mine, it would be about the same. Whatever the percentage is, isn't unique to actors or artists. It's every type of person.

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InBruges View Post
    I thought for a second that it was serious that he was going downhill and that he was serious about rapping. I was a bit worried about him. Then i saw the perez vid and heard about his "meltdown" in front of Casey Affleck and now the Letterman appearance. Maybe it's some spoof like this is Spinal Tap and it will be premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.

But Spinal Tap was funny ... somehow this isn't. It's just stupid. He's no Christopher Guest....

InBruges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curl_up_N_dye View Post
    But Spinal Tap was funny ... somehow this isn't. It's just stupid. He's no Christopher Guest....
    No he isn't. He has talent but I dont know if he can pull it off. hes alienated a few people because of it. I keep hoping its a spoof.

Nerak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InBruges View Post
    No he isn't. He has talent but I dont know if he can pull it off. hes alienated a few people because of it. I keep hoping its a spoof.
    I am quite sure it is a spoof, and I don't think its funny either, just kinda pathetic...think he's trying to show everybody how well he can act...I already thought that anyways....

He and his "rap" career can hang out with K-Fed!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Nerak Guest
    And if you were to make a list of the non-artists/celebrities in your life, or in mine, it would be about the same. Whatever the percentage is, isn't unique to actors or artists. It's every type of person.
    I think fame and money and being surrounded by 'yes' people goes to their heads, literally, and makes for a high percentage of unstable celebrities.

InBruges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    He and his "rap" career can hang out with K-Fed!
    Ah K-Fed. Who bought his "album"?

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Brittney bought the majority of them with child support money!

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily_Aleister View Post
    Either he's drunk or on something or just faking it. Or... he's just arrogant and hard to please. Funny video either way of Joaquin on Letterman tonight.

http://perezhilton.com/2009-02-12-jo...e-on-letterman

That is hilarious! Difficult to tell if he is faking it or not. Do you honestly think it is a set up between him and his brother In Law Casey Affleck?

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I just seriously doubt this is a publicity stunt...He may be a good actor...But he's not that great...

Snoopy Guest
    I dunno at first I thought it was for real and was really disappointed and concerned but the more I see the more there's an Andy Kaufmanish feel to this. I just wish he'd be done with it if it is a stunt!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Amen Snoopy...He needs to get back to what makes him popular...Like doing his Johnny Cash impersonation...

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    He was on drugs, for sure. Act or not.

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    He was on drugs, for sure. Act or not.
    How do you figure?

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    How do you figure?
    How do you figure he wasn't?

Abnormal behavior = drugs and / or mental illness. Even if this is just an 'act' ... it's abnormal, period.

cachluv Guest
    "Joaquin, I'm sorry you couldn't be here tonight."

---I tell you no lie, I laughed for 10 minutes. That shit was really, really funny. Letterman still has it.

cubbiecatz Guest
    I think it looked like Joaquin was trying not to laugh quite a few times.

Lily_Aleister Guest
    I agree with Lainey:

"See? Three for three. Maybe it should be a daily feature.

It’s must see TV. The video is below – Joaquin Phoenix behaving like a petulant child forced to go Aunt Mabel’s house last night with Letterman.

No doubt he’s a douche. But the question this morning, on top of his recent shenanigans – the rapping, the retirement – was this just another chapter in his unfunny, ongoing F-ck You vanity project? Casey Affleck travelled with Joaquin to New York, attended the Letterman taping with him, and was seen with his camera, presumably documenting the entire awkward, embarrassing experience.

Also – was Letterman in on it?

I can’t decide. On the one hand, it’s hard to believe a person could be so audaciously insolent at someone else’s house without previously informing his host about what he was up to. If that’s the case, Letterman is a better actor than Joaquin once was.

Yes, very possible that Letterman was previously informed about the “performance” and played along.

But to me, Letterman, for all his irreverence, is not RUDE. And I’m not sure he’d be willing bring on a guest only to fake out his audience, a loyal audience that has sustained him all these years. There are moments too when Dave seems genuinely annoyed, and while he still manages to be gracious and more patient that say my father-in-law who would have lost his sh-t from the very top when Phoenix walked out in sunglasses there’s also the sense that he’s as surprised as everyone else.

Or not.

Like I said, I can’t decide. You decide.

There is however no debate about his guest. And you can quit the bleeding in your heart. Other than the fact that he’s a giant asshole, there’s nothing wrong with Joaquin Phoenix…beyond the usual celebrity sense of entitlement, of course. And the utter disregard he has for those he works with, those who support him, and those who have admired him in the past. Yeah, those are his only flaws.

Joaquin is notoriously shy. We know this. But he was there to promote Two Lovers. He agreed to the assignment. He even asked his bestie to come along and shoot it. That implies calculation. There was a plan involved. They plotted. They are plotting. You don’t get to pull the “I’m nervous” card when you start exploiting the experience. And therefore blaming his shambolic appearance on nerves totally doesn’t fly.

Two Lovers is JP’s third film for James Gray. As you can see from the video, it was a piss poor effort at promotion, letting down not only his own contribution, but that of every person who laboured on the movie. Nobody gets to do that just because they’ve become disillusioned with the business. There is no excuse on a team level for bringing down everyone else’s hard work. The only conclusion then is that Joaquin Phoenix is not a team player. He has no regard for his peers, his crew, his management, his director.

Joaquin Phoenix is all about Joaquin Phoenix. His favourite word is “I”. His second favourite word is “Me”. In this regard, Joaquin Phoenix IS Mariah Carey.

Selfish, narcissistic, inconsiderate – and he has always claimed to be otherwise. Or he’s been sold to be otherwise, perhaps that’s the disconnect. Perhaps JP has been a dickhead all along, and his truculence has just cleverly been explained away as discomfort with the press. Because he has always claimed he hates the press, is mistrustful of the media after how the death of his brother was reported. Understandable.

But publicity is part of a job. Grownups have jobs. Do you have a job? If you do have a job, do you like every part of your job? All of us, even if we love our jobs, there are certain aspects of our job that make us crazy. It could be filing. It could be data entry. When I was in fundraising I hated writing briefing notes. Tedious and boring.

But you do it because …well… you have to. You have children, you have a mortgage, you have to eat. It’s your reality.

Joaquin Phoenix’s reality?

He got rich from acting, now he has the luxury of not bathing or grooming, the freedom to spend his days not worrying about his house, and the luxury of living a hoax for the sake of “higher art”.

Feel sorry for this mother-cker? Waste of time."

via: http://laineygossip.com/Joaquin_Phoe...atID=0&CelID=0

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Exactly!!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Regardless of motive, it's a big ol' "fuck you Hollywood."

Maybe it'll give some of these ridiculous plastic surgery and botox-ridden tinseltown idiots something to think about...but of course they HATE being made fun of...especially by one of their own!
    I think it's genius, and am appreciating Phoenix more every day!

I don't think he seems to be on drugs (at least on Letterman) at all. He's just incredibly reticent, but he absolutely knows what's going on. He's not out of it. And I have to say I agree with Aaron that there's an Andy Kaufman quality about the whole situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curl_up_N_dye View Post
    How do you figure he wasn't?

Abnormal behavior = drugs and / or mental illness. Even if this is just an 'act' ... it's abnormal, period.
    I don't and didn't say either way. The poster I was responding to was adamant that he was.

I watched the Sopranos last night and Christopher was high on heroin. I highly doubt Michael Imperioli shot up before the scene. It's called acting.

AaronVail Guest
    I agree with Lainey:

"See? Three for three. Maybe it should be a daily feature.

It’s must see TV. The video is below – Joaquin Phoenix behaving like a petulant child forced to go Aunt Mabel’s house last night with Letterman.

No doubt he’s a douche. But the question this morning, on top of his recent shenanigans – the rapping, the retirement – was this just another chapter in his unfunny, ongoing F-ck You vanity project? Casey Affleck travelled with Joaquin to New York, attended the Letterman taping with him, and was seen with his camera, presumably documenting the entire awkward, embarrassing experience.

Also – was Letterman in on it?

I can’t decide. On the one hand, it’s hard to believe a person could be so audaciously insolent at someone else’s house without previously informing his host about what he was up to. If that’s the case, Letterman is a better actor than Joaquin once was.

Yes, very possible that Letterman was previously informed about the “performance” and played along.

But to me, Letterman, for all his irreverence, is not RUDE. And I’m not sure he’d be willing bring on a guest only to fake out his audience, a loyal audience that has sustained him all these years. There are moments too when Dave seems genuinely annoyed, and while he still manages to be gracious and more patient that say my father-in-law who would have lost his sh-t from the very top when Phoenix walked out in sunglasses there’s also the sense that he’s as surprised as everyone else.

Or not.

Like I said, I can’t decide. You decide.

There is however no debate about his guest. And you can quit the bleeding in your heart. Other than the fact that he’s a giant asshole, there’s nothing wrong with Joaquin Phoenix…beyond the usual celebrity sense of entitlement, of course. And the utter disregard he has for those he works with, those who support him, and those who have admired him in the past. Yeah, those are his only flaws.

Joaquin is notoriously shy. We know this. But he was there to promote Two Lovers. He agreed to the assignment. He even asked his bestie to come along and shoot it. That implies calculation. There was a plan involved. They plotted. They are plotting. You don’t get to pull the “I’m nervous” card when you start exploiting the experience. And therefore blaming his shambolic appearance on nerves totally doesn’t fly.

Two Lovers is JP’s third film for James Gray. As you can see from the video, it was a piss poor effort at promotion, letting down not only his own contribution, but that of every person who laboured on the movie. Nobody gets to do that just because they’ve become disillusioned with the business. There is no excuse on a team level for bringing down everyone else’s hard work. The only conclusion then is that Joaquin Phoenix is not a team player. He has no regard for his peers, his crew, his management, his director.

Joaquin Phoenix is all about Joaquin Phoenix. His favourite word is “I”. His second favourite word is “Me”. In this regard, Joaquin Phoenix IS Mariah Carey.

Selfish, narcissistic, inconsiderate – and he has always claimed to be otherwise. Or he’s been sold to be otherwise, perhaps that’s the disconnect. Perhaps JP has been a dickhead all along, and his truculence has just cleverly been explained away as discomfort with the press. Because he has always claimed he hates the press, is mistrustful of the media after how the death of his brother was reported. Understandable.

But publicity is part of a job. Grownups have jobs. Do you have a job? If you do have a job, do you like every part of your job? All of us, even if we love our jobs, there are certain aspects of our job that make us crazy. It could be filing. It could be data entry. When I was in fundraising I hated writing briefing notes. Tedious and boring.

But you do it because …well… you have to. You have children, you have a mortgage, you have to eat. It’s your reality.

Joaquin Phoenix’s reality?

He got rich from acting, now he has the luxury of not bathing or grooming, the freedom to spend his days not worrying about his house, and the luxury of living a hoax for the sake of “higher art”.

Feel sorry for this mother-cker? Waste of time."

via: http://laineygossip.com/Joaquin_Phoe...atID=0&CelID=0

This is ridiculous, whoever Lainey is.

Are people REALLY offended by what he's doing? I don't get it. Do people ache badly enough to be pissed off at something, that they'll pick this? All this critical talk around here about actors surrounded by 'yes' people, living the high life and he decides to turn it on its ear, maybe because he's sick of all of the bullshit - the same Hollywood bullshit we all can't stand - but instead of cheering him on, he's vilified for something that's not affecting any of you in any way, shape or form.
    Last edited by AaronVail; 02-12-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Lily_Aleister Guest
    I don't care either way what this kid does. I do however, believe it was incredibly rude to go on Letterman's show and behave like it was a waste of his time and he had better things to do. If you don't like something, don't do it. Otherwise isn't he just feeding the Hollywood machine of bullshit? Going on some lame show to promote another lame movie. If he wanted out of the game that badly and retire like he said he would, then why the hell is he on my TV?

(And Lainey is a very educated entertainment journalist from Canada.)

cachluv Guest
    Sorry, anything goes as for comments on celebrities here. Flattering, unflattering.

Frankly, I think lainey is pretty spot-on. Phoenix has either lost it or is indeed a colossal douche. Either way, he's becoming tedious. I'm glad he appeared on Letterman. Good. I'm glad people can see how fucked up and self-absorbed he's become.

AaronVail Guest
    I don't care either way what this kid does. I do however, believe it was incredibly rude to go on Letterman's show and behave like it was a waste of his time and he had better things to do. If you don't like something, don't do it. Otherwise isn't he just feeding the Hollywood machine of bullshit? Going on some lame show to promote another lame movie. If he wanted out of the game that badly and retire like he said he would, then why the hell is he on my TV?

(And Lainey is a very educated entertainment journalist from Canada.)
    I thought it was generally understood that it's a piece of acting. Yes? No?

Checked out Lainey's website. I agree with entertainment, but educated and journalist? Not so much.

Lily_Aleister Guest
    I thought it was generally understood that it's a piece of acting. Yes? No?

Checked out Lainey's website. I agree with entertainment, but educated and journalist? Not so much.
    Oh that's right, many of the actors here are smelly douchebags with too much time on their hands.

Lainey (Elaine Lui) is one of the hosts of Etalk in Canada. I've never watched it since I'm in the US. What makes you think she isn't educated or intelligent?
    Regardless, I personally think she's smart and funny.

http://www.thevancouverite.com/the_v...interview_ela/
    Last edited by Lily_Aleister; 02-12-2009 at 06:35 PM.

motherogod Guest
    I watched it last night when I saw he was going to be on Letterman... I wasn't disappointed.

What I am disappointed about is coming to this thread for a chuckle and find it all being argumentive. Lighten up should go for everyone, especially the person who said it first. Geez.

Oh well, nothing fun to say now. See y'all on other threads.

AaronVail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Sorry, anything goes as for comments on celebrities here. Flattering, unflattering.

Frankly, I think lainey is pretty spot-on. Phoenix has either lost it or is indeed a colossal douche. Either way, he's becoming tedious. I'm glad he appeared on Letterman. Good. I'm glad people can see how fucked up and self-absorbed he's become.
    Or, he's acting! Why do you guys all stop at only two possible explanations (he's insane or he's an asshole)? It almost sounds like you're all pissed off he fooled you because if he is indeed acting (likely), I don't see how this would make him a douche. Do you not think Letterman - if he wasn't a willing participant - knew about what would happen considering what Joaquin's been up to lately?

42. 02-12-2009, 06:37 PM

AaronVail Guest
    Oh that's right, many of the actors here are smelly douchebags with too much time on their hands.

Lainey (Elaine Lui) is one of the hosts of Etalk in Canada. I've never watched it since I'm in the US. What makes you think she isn't educated or intelligent?
    Regardless, I personally think she's smart and funny.

http://www.thevancouverite.com/the_v...interview_ela/
    I was going to say because I read parts of the website but 'one of the hosts of eTalk' says it all. I know who she is now. She's an idiot.

cachluv Guest
    If he wanted out of the game that badly and retire like he said he would, then why the hell is he on my TV?
    ---Yes. I'd like to know this also. Why does he keep saying goodbye? Just like Cher and Barbara Streisand, just do the last show and be gone if you're going. Damn.

In perpetually presenting himself as some hermit recluse out for the evening, he certainly has generated plenty of publicity for himself. I guess job well done, then.

And I do not believe any rappers have shown him any respect in any way.

AaronVail Guest
    Obviously, none of us know anything and we're all WRONG. No point in posting in this thread anymore.

See ya!
    Where did I say anyone was wrong? Seriously, you people always drag that same crap out whenever we get into it on this board. When did/do I ever claim any of you were/are wrong?

Lily_Aleister Guest
    I was going to say because I read parts of the website but 'one of the hosts of eTalk' says it all. I know who she is now. She's an idiot.
    Harsh.

AaronVail Guest
    Harsh.
    Regardless, eTalk is awful and Ben Mulroney is a durfwad. CTV destroyed Citytv. I can't stand what that network stands for. Elaine's another in a long list of Perez clones.

cachluv Guest
    "being argumentive"

---Who?

aaronvail actually presents good points. Yes, I do know he's "acting". But he's "acting" like a douchebag. That's not to say he is one. I don't know him. But if he's acting like a douchebag, I end up asking myself "why"? Something is amiss. He is expressing something. Acting out something. I don't know what's up with the Joaq but he's changed and not to people's liking. If he's happy, ultimately that's what's important but he surely isn't suprised at people's dismay.

I don't really know who lainey is, no sweat off my or anyone's berries here if she isn't liked. I have read that lots of people are not fans. I still liked the article posted here though.
    Last edited by cachluv; 02-12-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Or, he's acting! Why do you guys all stop at only two possible explanations (he's insane or he's an asshole)? It almost sounds like you're all pissed off he fooled you because if he is indeed acting (likely), I don't see how this would make him a douche. Do you not think Letterman - if he wasn't a willing participant - knew about what would happen considering what Joaquin's been up to lately?
    Because no one likes being scammed ... which is what he is trying to do...if in fact he is NOT on drugs or NOT clinically mentally ill, as you are insisting he is not. And I can speak for myself ... I am not 'fooled'. I see a douche ... just like he wants us to see.

And to imply any of us are pissed off would imply that any of us really care about JP ... which I doubt any of us do

"being argumentive"

---Who?

aaronvail actually presents good points. Yes, I do know he's "acting". But he's "acting" like a douchebag. That's not to say he is one. I don't know him. But if he's acting like a douchebag, I end up asking myself "why"? Something is amiss. He is expressing something. Acting out something. I don't know what's up with the Joaq but he's changed and not to people's liking. If he's happy, ultimately that's what's important but he surely isn't suprised at people's dismay.
    Erm, are you referring to Aaronvail or Joaquin in the first few sentences here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

gemini33 Guest
    "being argumentive"

---Who?

I don't really know who lainey is, no sweat off my or anyone's berries here if she isn't liked. I have read that lots of people are not fans. I still liked the article posted here though.
    I've always heard that Joaquin blamed River's death on the media and fans. Makes me wonder why he continued to act after River's death. Money I suppose.