Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

Maza Guest
    I am reading Hugh Hefners little black book.......don't know why!!....thought it might be an interesting read ...so far its ok

Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    I love the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next books (the first one is called The Eyre Affair. I met Jasper Fforde in July and also won a contest for writing something called a "scribbler" (they gave us a starting line and finishing line and we had to fill in the in between bit in about 200 words, I believe) anyway, I was one of the top winners for that and won an autographed set of all of his Thursday Next books, so that was kind of cool. But yeah, anyway, love these, strongly suggest checking them out if you're already a book nerd...
    I _love_ these books, and I'm so jealous you got to meet him! Congratulations on winning, too! That's so cool! Can I use enough exclamation points to convey my enthusiasm?

I assume you've read the Nursery Crimes ones, too. I've only read _The Big Over Easy_ in which Humpty Dumpty's apparent suicide is a tad shady. i liked it. I haven't read the latest Tuesday Next, but I'm going to soon!

Cheers,
    Amy

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    I'm also a big library fan - I hardly ever buy books unless I know I'll want to keep them forever! That's after moving so much that I've given away so many books over the years...however, I would still pass on some other books to you all if it weren't so expensive to ship books overseas! (That and the DVDs I could send probably wouldn't play on your players...) but I do think the book/DVD round robin idea is quite good otherwise! :P
    Ahhh, library users who come into the library to get BOOKS.
    Music to a library employee's ears!

Joe Hill (AKA Stephen King's son) and his debut book, Heart Shaped Box.
    Very rock n' roll. It took me two days to finish it. They are making a movie of it in a few years.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I _love_ these books, and I'm so jealous you got to meet him! Congratulations on winning, too! That's so cool! Can I use enough exclamation points to convey my enthusiasm?

I assume you've read the Nursery Crimes ones, too. I've only read _The Big Over Easy_ in which Humpty Dumpty's apparent suicide is a tad shady. i liked it. I haven't read the latest Tuesday Next, but I'm going to soon!

Cheers,
    Amy
    Yeah I should have mentioned the NCD books as well...I did in another post, but yeah, I own and have read those, too! Jasper was very nice and cool in person. So between that visit (my husband and I both met him) and winning the contest and the fact that The Eyre Affair was left out of the books when I was sent my "winnings" and then several copies were sent to me afterwards, but not signed, (after finally sorting that out he sent me a really nice one with a personal message rather than just signing his name) I have so many copies of his books!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    Ahhh, library users who come into the library to get BOOKS.
    Music to a library employee's ears!

Joe Hill (AKA Stephen King's son) and his debut book, Heart Shaped Box.
    Very rock n' roll. It took me two days to finish it. They are making a movie of it in a few years.
    I love libraries...I think they're one of the best things ever - free books to anyone who wants to read them! <3 Perhaps I will get to work in a library eventually...but I'd just have to settle as an assistant as I have an MA in Literary Studies and not a masters in Library Science!

I've got a stack of Death Hag related books piled up by the bed to read.

Right now I'm reading "And I don't want to Live This Life" (Nancy of Sid & Nancy bio - written by her Mom). Yikes! Nancy was a hellion from birth!

I've read that. It broke my heart...she just needed love. I'd like to read it again. I have a bunch of true crime and the Elvis book: In the Twilight of Memory by June Juanico if anyone is interested.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

different kind of girl Guest
    I just finished Water for Elephants. IT's EXCELLENT! I recommend it highly, it's fiction about circus life in the depression era.

hoxharding Guest
    I have a big pile of books to read(not to mention I go to the library at least once a week)
    On top of the pile:
    1)Mr. Hands-Gary A. Braunbeck
    2) House Infernal-Edward Lee
    3) The Taken- Sarah Pinborough
    4) Evil Harvest- Anthony Izzo

ComputerGuy Guest
    May I recomment Group Policies IN an Active Directory Environment (For Dummies) for the DOD!!

Horatio Nelson; the Pursuit of Victory. I am a History nerd.

magblax Guest
    "forever" By: Pete Hamill

"The year is 1741 and this is the story of Cormac O'Connor-"Irish, and a Jew"-who grows up in Ireland under English Protestant rule and is secretly schooled in Gaelic religion, myth and language. Seeking to avenge the murder of his father by the Earl of Warren, he follows the trail of the earl to New York City. On board ship, Cormac befriends African slave Kongo, and once in New York, the two join a rebellion against the British. After the rising is quelled, mobs take to the streets and Kongo is seized. Cormac saves Kongo from death, but is shot in the process. His recovery takes a miraculous turn when Kongo's dead priestess, Tomora, appears and grants Cormac eternal life and youth-so long as he never leaves the island of Manhattan, thus the "Forever" of the title. What follows is a portrait of the "city of memory of which Cormac was the only citizen." Cormac fights in the American Revolution, sups with Boss Tweed (in a very sympathetic portrait) and lives into the New York of 2001. In that year he warily falls in love with Delfina, a streetwise Dominican ("That was the curse attached to the gift: You buried everyone you loved"), and comes into contact with a descendant of the Earl of Warren, the newspaper publisher Willie Warren. His love, his drive for revenge and his very desire to exist are fatefully challenged on the eve and the day of September 11. This rousing, ambitious work is beautifully woven around historical events and characters, but it is Hamill's passionate pursuit of justice and compassion-Celtic in foundation-that distinguishes this tale of New York City and its myriad peoples."

ghoulgurl Guest
    Read this one a long time ago but it's a great death hag book:

Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death
    by Katherine Ramslad.

Here's a description:

Never look at a grave the same way again Admit it: You're fascinated by cemeteries. We all die, and for most of us, a cemetery is our final resting place. But how many people really know what goes on inside, around, and beyond them? Enter the world of the dead as Katherine Ramsland talks to mortuary assistants, gravediggers, funeral home owners, and more, and find out about: Stitching and cosmetic secrets used on mutilated bodies Embalmers who do more than just embalm The rising popularity of cremation art Ghosts that infest graveyards everywhere If you've ever scoffed at the high price of burying the dead, or ever wondered how your loved ones are handled when they die, or simply stared at tombstones with morbid fascination, then take a trip with Katherine Ramsland and learn about the booming industry -- and strange tales -- that surround cemeteries everywhere.

It's a quick read and right up the alley of all the ghoulies on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoulgurl View Post
    Read this one a long time ago but it's a great death hag book:

Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death by Katherine Ramslad.

Here's a description:

Never look at a grave the same way again Admit it: You're fascinated by cemeteries. We all die, and for most of us, a cemetery is our final resting place. But how many people really know what goes on inside, around, and beyond them? Enter the world of the dead as Katherine Ramsland talks to mortuary assistants, gravediggers, funeral home owners, and more, and find out about: Stitching and cosmetic secrets used on mutilated bodies Embalmers who do more than just embalm The rising popularity of cremation art Ghosts that infest graveyards everywhere If you've ever scoffed at the high price of burying the dead, or ever wondered how your loved ones are handled when they die, or simply stared at tombstones with morbid fascination, then take a trip with Katherine Ramsland and learn about the booming industry -- and strange tales -- that surround cemeteries everywhere.

It's a quick read and right up the alley of all the ghoulies on this board.
    That one is in my death hag library, hon!

ajurk Guest
    just finished re-reading ordinary people by judith guest. love that book.

I'm in the process of reading "The Ghost of 87th Lane" by M L Woelm. It's a true story about a haunting. Have you read "Cemetary Tales"? That's a behind the scenes kind of book that I loved. Also, on HBO yesterday, they had the documentary of Hollywood Forever Cemetary on. It was great!

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Also, on HBO yesterday, they had the documentary of Hollywood Forever Cemetary on. It was great!
    Was it called "The Young and the Dead"?

Yes, it was!

Jill-the-Ripper Guest
    I'm a voracious reader, and have been my whole life. I have verying tastes, and my secret vice is cheesy romance novels. I particularly like Mary Balogh's books and the old ones by LaVyrle Spencer.
    Just finished reading Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher Masoch, got turned onto it and The Velvet Underground from seeing a Youtube of Andy Warhol's "Blowjob" set to the song. A very kinky read.
    I also recently read The Johnstown Flood by David G. McCullough, slightly dry but still interesting.
    I have a signed copy of Donald Rumbelow's Jack the Ripper book, bought after taking his tour:
    http://www.walks.com/Homepage/Jack_t...r/default.aspx
    He liked that my name was Jill.
    I have read all of Mark Nesbitt's Ghosts of Gettysburg books, I get one every time I go out there. I read almost an entire book every night in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Yes, it was!
    Yeah, that one is pretty good. If anyone is interested in owning it on DVD, I know you can buy it off of Amazon for about $1! I bought one over the weekend for that much there.

tngirl1967 Guest

Talking Another here....

Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    That sounds cool, I'll get a copy. And hello from a fellow Aries...is it an Aries thing to be a death hag? ..we should take a poll and see if there's a trend here LOL
    Maybe we should poll....I'm yet another Aries....

tngirl1967 Guest
    I just finished re-reading yet again "Kurt Cobain" by Christopher Sandford. I got in the mood for some whacky death stuff the other night and dug it out of storage. I read "Stiff" not long ago, and I guess now I need to go over to Amazon and grab "Blonde Ambition"............
    "Caught in the Crossfire" is a good one, but made me sadder than any other I have ever read. Another great re-re-re-read of mine is "No One Here Gets Out Alive" by Sugerman.

Ms. K Guest
    Just finished "Scary Monsters and Super Freaks: Stories of Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n Roll And Murder", which is a compilation of articles written by Mike Sager.

Since it FINALLY arrived, I'm reading my new first-edition copy of The Family. I used to own a first-edition copy, but my psychobitch ex-friend "kept" it.

DeadRinger Guest
    Another Ann Rule book - The Stranger Beside Me - it's interesting to read about Bundy from the perspective of someone who actually knew the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. K View Post
    Just finished "Scary Monsters and Super Freaks: Stories of Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n Roll And Murder", which is a compilation of articles written by Mike Sager.

Since it FINALLY arrived, I'm reading my new first-edition copy of The Family. I used to own a first-edition copy, but my psychobitch ex-friend "kept" it.
    That's a good one, it has the full details about the Wonderland Murders in it (John Holmes case), and some stuff about Rick James and how Sly Stone got him started on smoking crack!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I just read the trashy Rita Cosby book on Anna Nicole's death. It didn't disappoint. I'm not sure it's worth the money, though, it's a one-day read.

attackatdawn Guest

Can anyone recommend interesting books you can buy from Amazon.com?

I do surveys over the internet and sometimes get Amazon Gift certificates, I like to read true crime, hollywood death stuff , true ghost stories etc... Can anyone recommend good books that don't cost a arm & a leg to buy?

derbingle Guest
    Here's great one about the Abraham Linclon funeral and national mourning. Lots of great pics and an interesting read:
    Twenty Days by Dorothy Meserve Kunhardt and Phillip B Kunhardt Jr.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    I do surveys over the internet and sometimes get Amazon Gift certificates, I like to read true crime, hollywood death stuff , true ghost stories etc... Can anyone recommend good books that don't cost a arm & a leg to buy?
    Theres tons of stuff to be had at Amazon. One thing tho, I hate finding a great deal on a book or whatever, and then find the shipping costs as much as the book practically.

Belle Guest
    Secrets Can Be Murder: What America's Most Sensational Crimes Tell Us About Ourselves by Jane Velez-Mitchell. It doesn't cover any one case in depth but I learned something about each case it covered (Robert Blake, Phil Spector, etc)

Combo Death Hag/Bookworm that I am, I was happy to learn that lots of interesting professional (and other) post mortem photos are available in book form.

I am fascinated by Memorial Photography, and own some books of photos but no originals or decent reproductions. In particular, Sleeping Beauty Memorial Photography in America by Stanley B. Burns is good. Sleeping Beauty II: Grief, Bereavement and The Family In Memorial Photography American & European Traditions seems to repeat some of the photos, but is worth a read. The Burns Archive licenses material using their vast photo collection.

Also, The Harlem book of the dead by James Van Der Zee is excellent if you can find a copy.

Crime scene photo books I loved:
    Harms Way: Lust & Madness, Murder & Mayhem by Joel-Peter Witkin
    Death Scenes: A Homicide Detective's Scrapbook by Jack Huddleston
    Scene of the Crime: Photographs from the LAPD Archive by Tim Wride

A good nonfiction read on physical and cultural aspects of death:
    From Death to Dust What Happens to Dead Bodies by Kenneth V. Iserson

And of course Mary Roach's Stiff, but also her book on the afterlife
    Spook: Science Tackles the afterlife
    Last edited by Belle; 11-01-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tngirl1967 View Post
    Maybe we should poll....I'm yet another Aries....
    I am _also_ an Aries! Spooky!

I just got finished with "Ghost Hunting" written by the TAPS guys - pretty good stuff with photos!

I also read Sid Vicious by Malcolm Butt. I read it mostly for the Nancy stuff, since the book written by her mother doesn't really delve too much into the relationship - since she only knew too much.

Some pretty interesting stuff about Sid & Nancy relationship in that one!

Right now I'm reading "Be Careful Who You Love" by Diana Dimond. It's all about the Michael Jackson molestation cases - the first one and also the one he went to court in 2005 for.

Pretty sick stuff that only a pedophile would really appreciate, since it really goes into graphic detail about the stuff MJ did to the kids, what was MJ's penis looked like (apparently he had a dark spot on it that the kid described to the cops - which was there when the photographed him!), and other sordid details that his hired help confess too that went on while they worked there at Neverland Ranch, Haverland (where his folks live and he did before moving to Neverland).

Nothing really about his career and music - just the sick, sordid stuff! But interesting reading for hard-core Death Hags who can stomach it!

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]I use to read Ann Rule's books quite a bit. Right now I'm getting ready to start the 3rd in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz...Brother Odd. Not exactly Death Hag stuff but, somehow the name seems to fit in.[/SIZE]

GODDESS6 Guest
    cemetary stories~

currently re-reading "the diaries of jason massey" a boy who had fantasies of rape, murder, and necrophilia. he carried that fantasy out. chilling and graphic!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Right now, I'm reading Last Words by Mariah Stewart. It's okay so far. I ordered the Anna Nicole book for my mom for Christmas. I will probably read it before I give it to her. LOL. I also ordered Disco Bloodbath & Be Careful Who You Love. I'll probably stop reading the Mariah Stewart book when DB comes. I've been anxious to read that for some time. I forgot about it until I read the Michael Alig thread.

hlh004 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by viridescence View Post
    I read "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Jo Roach recently. Fascinating.
    Same HERE! And I just finished IF I DID IT-oj simpson....truly AMAZING!

A New Book!

Hey gang...
    I know that there is a book thread already out there but, I'm dealing with a diabolical head cold and I don't have the patience to do the search.

My beloved picked up a book for me called:

Remember Me: A Lively Tour of the New American Way of Death by Lisa Takeuchi Cullen.

I've only read the first few chapters but, the gist of the book is her travels around the country exploring how "we" are planning for our death, funerals and desposing of our remains. All the stuff we like!

Some years ago, I read a book called Cemetary Tales but, I do not remember who wrote it. It was a "behind the scenes" kind of thing on funerals, autopsies, burials and corpses. Groovy stuff!

Barnes and Noble here I come.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Kathyf Guest
    I will have to pick that up. Did anyone ever read Final Exits? It's like an encyclopedia of all death.
    Last edited by Kathyf; 11-14-2007 at 02:28 AM.

Jaxxx Guest
    Stiff is a good book, about autopsies

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Stiff is a good book, about autopsies
    I read that one with my son a few years ago. Really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I will have to pick that up. Did anyone ever read Final Exits? It's like an encyclopedia of all death.

Got it! Great book. Read his other book - The Portable Obituary - good also!

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Got it! Great book. Read his other book - The Portable Obituary - good also!
    Thanks Aries my husband will be thrilled another death book LOL

poppie Guest
    Jessican Mitford wrote a book in the 50's called THE AMERICAN WAY OF DEATH. Quite a book, and her story caused the many changes that came about in the funeral industry, especially in California. MblmR might be familiar with Mitford's book.

I saw that "Portable Obituaries" book and thought about getting it; now I will. Thanks.

Another good Hollywood book,

"L.A. Exposed" by Paul Young.

It's going for less than $4 on Amazon.

Lots of great stuff in that one! I almost forgot about it. But of course all my death-hag books are packed in storage for now - damn it!!!

hoxharding Guest
    I have collected some books from Creation Books-they have books about films.
    But one everyone might like is:
    'Bad Blood' :An Illustrated Guide to Psycho Cinema byChristian Fuchs.
    It has loads of info about fictional and real serial killers.
    There is also 'Meat is Murder'(cannibalism)
    'Killing for Culture'(about films like Faces of Death,Mondo Cane and snuff films)
    and
    'Hollywood Hex'(legends and so on)

Be My Baby by Ronnie Spector. Her life as a Ronette and being married to Phil Spector. Should be good!

Guest Guest

The Tombstone Tourist:Musicians by Scott Stanton

Just got this book today and it's excellent. There is nothing worse than buying a book about celebrity gravesites only to find the dreaded "Buried in: CALIFORNIA" Well, shit that narrows it down somewhat. Fucker.

Nope, TTT not only brings the good bio, it gives directions to the actual graves. None of this "buried in Honk Cemetery", no no, he tells you "drive in take a left when you get to the tall red monument marked Fuzzbutt, he is buried two rows behind it" The only other book I've seen this in is Where Are They Buried so I am glad to see it here. It's more a guidebook than a dry read like oh, say...Final Curtain.

I was planning on visiting the grave of Johnny Copeland next weekend and wasn't looking forward to wandering around hoping to find him. TTT told me exactly where he is. In, found, and out, just the way I like it.

BUY THIS BOOK*

Like, right here. Or elsewhere, just get it. But preferably here.
    http://astore.amazon.com/thesevcir-2...208058-3558330

*not getting paid for this endorsement