Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 182526272829 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1441

Thread: Death Hag Books

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    "D" Magazine's 40 Greatest Stories contains some juicy Dallas-area stuff, including the Edelman "Dead Before Dawn" story and the Cullen & Priscilla Davis "Texas Justice" case.

Good binge readin' for the new year.

http://interactive.dmagazine.com/con...atest-stories/

VCNJ~
    This belongs here.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Currently reading 'Raven - The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and His People' by John Jacobs and Tim Reiterman.
    Reiterman himself was one of the group of people who went to Jonestown with the Congressman in 1978 and one of the party ambushed at the airstrip.
    So far (only chapter 5) it is fascinating! A real in depth look at the early life of Jones at the moment, and very often you are referred to where these facts were found or who stated them. It's a great read if you're interested in the People's Temple or the Jonestown Massacre.
    Will review more when I've finished!

Ordered my copy of Sharon Tate:A Life by Ed Sanders due out this Tuesday.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Little Chief Guest
    The Dark Tower is ruining me. Pretty sure my neighbours heard me ugly crying over it before.

Good death related book written by Kevin Hazzard - he worked as an EMT/paramedic for 10 years in Atlanta:

A Thousand Naked Strangers: A Paramedic's Wild Ride to the Edge and Back

http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Naked...=kevin+hazzard

That sounds good, cash. Thanks for sharing.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mansfield, I almost bought that one at Barnes and Noble. I did buy Anne Perry And The Murder of the Century. So far it's good.

I stumbled upon a FB site: Bargain With A Devil: The Tragedy Behind Gone With The Wind, which is a book by Gloria Gravitt Moulder, I ordered a copy and can't wait to read it.

[It's] not about Scarlett, Rhett, the Civil War or its aftermath. It is about a "bargain" made by Margaret Mitchell, the famous author of GONE WITH THE WIND that eventually led to her death, and how it impacted the life of Hugh Dorsey Gravitt and his family. It's about manipulation, psychopathic behavior, sexual deviance and murder that was made to look like an accident, false imprisonment,
    There's a pic--not graphic to me, but you might not want to see it--of Margaret Mitchell laying dead in the street bears a watermark so I did not paste it here, but if you have a facebook account you can view here https://www.facebook.com/16567120046...type=3&theater
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Mansfield, I almost bought that one at Barnes and Noble. I did buy Anne Perry And The Murder of the Century. So far it's good.
    Don't waste your money, just a rehash of his earlier book The Family. As for Anne Perry I've seen the movie based on her case, but I have not read the book, but I think I will if you say it's good. Thanks for that tip !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Don't waste your money, just a rehash of his earlier book The Family. As for Anne Perry I've seen the movie based on her case, but I have not read the book, but I think I will if you say it's good. Thanks for that tip !
    I read the Perry case book and it was worth reading.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Little Chief Guest
    Just read Hollywood Babylon by Kenneth Anger. It was so trashy, i loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Chief View Post
    Just read Hollywood Babylon by Kenneth Anger. It was so trashy, i loved it.
    Aren't they, I have one and two. I just bought two books about Karen Silkwood.

Finished Anne Perry and the case of the century, it was good at the start then at the end when the writer is rehasing a bunch of things over and over I skipped a few pages. It is sad to note that one of the lawyers, had a mental breakdown during and after the trial and had to be put in an asylum and the police officer that was called to the scene and did the investigation, a few years after had another case, that happened on a ship, where someone was murdered, while on the ship the officer committed suicide.

Now I am reading Murder In The Stacks: Penn State, Betsy Aardsma, and the killer that got away.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 02-16-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Just Read:

Dead Presidents: An American Adventure into the Strange Deaths and Surprising Afterlife of Our Nations's Leaders by Brady Carlson

The author takes us on a tour of the various monuments/burial sites/memorials and libraries of all the dead Presidents from Washington to Reagan.

Good chapter on Zachary Taylor's 1991 exhumation and the DNA testing on Jefferson's alleged black ancestors.
    President Garfield would have survived his assassination if the doctors had just left him alone.
    Washington did not want a big funeral or a monument - his wishes were not followed.
    Calvin Coolidge also wanted to be left alone in death - he had five minute funeral.
    Millard Fillmore and Rick James are buried a few feet apart in Buffalo.

A good fun book.

That sounds like a great read. Pinned it. Thanks for sharing, Cash.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Just Read:

The Last Full Measure: How Soldiers Die in Battle by Michael Stephenson

Covers all of history's wars from the Trojan War to Iraq/Afghanistan. A good death hag book

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Full-Mea...t+full+measure

Currently reading Shattered Sense of Innocence, The 1955 Murders of Three Chicago Children, Also The Phantom Killer, based on the Texarkana Moonlight Murders, and In The Wake of the Butcher about the Cleveland Torso Murders.

I've read The Phantom Killer. To me, the book is far better than the movie The Town that Dreaded Sundown because the actors ruined it by being a bunch of hams.

I may have read the other two books, because back in the day I read every true crime I could get my hands on, so much so you could name the signature and or victims and I could tell you who the killer was.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I stumbled onto a series that is supposed to be similar to The Stand. The Scattered and the Dead by Tim McBain. It's numbered different in that it begins with Book 0.5 (which I ordered). Amazon description:
    Loneliness drives an introvert to write a letter to the girl in the apartment across the hall. He is anxious. Reclusive. Desperate for a friend. The apocalypse interrupts this attempt at human contact.
    Book 1 where most of the population is dead, and the story continues in Book 1.5.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm finishing up "My Story" by Elizabeth Smart. It's about her kidnapping and the nine months she spent with Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Barzee. Those two were crazy as fuck.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I just recently finished reading "The Meaning in our Tears" about the Lawson family murders -- very interesting book. Looking for something in the same vein; historic murders, etc. I've read a lot of more recent ones; seen just about everything on ID; read a lot of Texas tragedy type books (Gone at 3:17, City on Fire, Blood Will Tell, Isaac's Storm, etc). My interest in the early turn of the century type cases has flared up again. Any suggestions??? It doesn't have to be about TX. BTW, it's not really true crime, but if you ever get the chance to read the BOOK "Psycho" I would say jump on it. Read that a couple of years ago and loved it. Also "Devil in the White City..." about a murder during the 1893 Chicago World's Fair is good. And "Thunderstruck" also by Erik Lawson.

Seruto Murder Came to Goodhart, The Road Out of Hell, Villisca,Bath Massacre, The Sinking of the Eastland, Richmond Theater Fire, The Winecoff Hotel Fire, The Phantom Killer, I have a whole bunch more to suggest for you. I just ordered The CBS Murders, A Rose For Mary, The Boston Strangler. Dang the book the Meaning of our tears is expensive, I try to buy psychical books on true crime and disasters why so much for a book that is only ten years old.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 11-09-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Seruto Murder Came to Goodhart, The Road Out of Hell, Villisca,Bath Massacre, The Sinking of the Eastland, Richmond Theater Fire, The Winecoff Hotel Fire, The Phantom Killer, I have a whole bunch more to suggest for you. I just ordered The CBS Murders, A Rose For Mary, The Boston Strangler. Dang the book the Meaning of our tears is expensive, I try to buy psychical books on true crime and disasters why so much for a book that is only ten years old.
    I asked amazon the exact same question. In my case it was a thin, used paperback for $56. Amazon told me the seller set the price for whatever they could get. There's scores of books I want but I am not going to feed somebody's greed.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Not sure if this is considered a death hag book, but I'm currently engrossed in "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I'm about a third of the way through it, it's set during World War II, so I expect there to be death when and if it moves into the Holocaust.

"I just go here!"

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    Not sure if this is considered a death hag book, but I'm currently engrossed in "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I'm about a third of the way through it, it's set during World War II, so I expect there to be death when and if it moves into the Holocaust.
    Any book we death hags are reading belongs here. Sounds good, Ria. I like books set during WWII.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll definitely look into them!

I got my copy on my kindle. I don't remember how much it was, but it couldn't have been too expensive - I'm too cheap for that.

I'm not sure where you're located, but in the FW/D area of TX, we have "Half Price Books", which is a WONDEFUL book store. About the only place I'll buy a real book.

Looks like The Meaning of Our Tears was originally published as White Christmas Bloody Christmas and both versions are out of print so sellers have priced them sky high.

White Christmas is available on Amazon.es for the low, low price of $16,000USD
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Thanks Seurto, I'll get it on Kindle. I also just ordered Sympathy Vote, about Valerie Percy's unsolved murder.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Any book we death hags are reading belongs here. Sounds good, Ria. I like books set during WWII.
    I do, too, especially when Jewish people are involved. It reinforces that the Holocaust really happened.

"The Book Thief," though, is actually told from Death's perspective, which is very interesting.

"I just go here!"

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    I do, too, especially when Jewish people are involved. It reinforces that the Holocaust really happened.

"The Book Thief," though, is actually told from Death's perspective, which is very interesting.
    It sure does. Did you read The Winds of War & War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk? They are big and totally engrossing. I've read them at least twice.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

So I am almost done with Who Killed These Girls, and I do not like the way the investigators who took over the case manipulated a confession from one of the men, it reminded me of what they did to Jessie Misskelly, by saying, nope that's not what happened, try again, like keeping him there until he told them what they wanted to hear instead of cutting him loose when he was giving them answers and statements about things that didn't even happen and wrong information.

Just purchased "In Colder Blood" by JT Hunter about the Walker Family Murder. Short reading, only 100 pages or so. I think he believes Smith & Hickock (Clutter killer's) killed this family. Could very well be. But if Smith stopped Hickock from raping Nancy Clutter why would he let Christine Walker be raped? And kill two babies? Sad crime scene photos.

I looked at that as well, but I have done research in the Walker family murders and into the Clutters, I don't think Smith and Hickock killed the Walker family. I was going to buy In Colder Blood but will wait until the price goes down.

Finished Yogurt shop and am now working on Bogeyman by Steve Jackson, I have in front of me 50 true crime books that I have bought since 2014 and have not read, so I have them stacked on my desk and going to read one at a time, I have more books coming in and am going to order more, I think it's about time to introduce myself, "Hello my name is Tracy and I am a book addict. "

The writer of In Colder Blood is comparing the Clutter and Walker murders. He states Mrs. Clutter had seminal stains on the back of her nightgown....as did Christine Walker on the back of her underwear. I disagree. In all of the information I have read about the Clutter murders there was never any mention of this. I do believe this information on Christine but not on Mrs. Clutter.

Just finished Dr Bill Bass - Beyond the Body Farm.
    Had it sat on my book shelf for several years and only just got round to reading it. Great book!
    A thorough insight on some very interesting cases.

I've just now started The Killer Catcher by Brian J Heard.
    He is a British forensic scientist. Good so far. It has touched on the Kray twins and some quite gruesome cases.

Good article on 'In Cold Blood' at 50 years.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...vid-at-50.html

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Good article on 'In Cold Blood' at 50 years.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...vid-at-50.html
    Good post.

I just finished "Checklist for Murder" by Albert Flacco. It's about Robert Peernock and the murder of his wife (Clair) and attempted murder of his daughter (Natasha/Tash). Very good book - very horrific story. Happened in the 80's in California. I don't think I was familiar with the case, but it is an amazing one. Don't really want to say much about the story if someone wants to read it, but this guy is a loon. But sane enough!

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Menendez murders?

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good book on the Menendez murders?

Blood Brothers

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Brother...2VB8MAZ305Q9TQ

Thank you cash.

Just finished Jonbenét - Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation by Steve Thomas.
    I'll paste in the review I shared on my Instagram

Want to read a book that makes you so angry you begin to question life?

I was already aware the case of Jonbenét Ramsey was a shambles but had no idea to what extent. This book is an account from one of the main detectives involved and who so desperately tried to get the case to go to trial. How he didn't lose the plot, I don't know.
    The WTF moment for me was learning that the Ramsey's eventually took a polygraph (with THEIR OWN QUESTIONS) and failed. Then they failed several more. Eventually they passed one, and used only those results to hand over to investigators ��
    So very sad that what became important was politics, not finding the killer of a child.
    I wonder how the DA sleeps at night..

A Good Month for Murder - the author is embedded with homicide detectives for a month in February 2013 in suburban Washington DC. I wish the book was longer

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Month-Mu...nth+for+murder

I just ordered this from the Fall River Historical Society it's 1157 pages, they don't write about the murder but about her life, it has diary entries, letters, memories from people that knew her, never before seen photographs etc. Can't wait to get it, if you want a copy order it directly from the Historical society, someone on amazon is selling it for 300.00 and other places for 95.00, I paid 49.95 plus 7.00 for shipping, yeah pricey but it supports the Society, and the authors are the curators. they will sign the book for you as well.

Then I got Arthur Shawcross: The Genessee River Killer:The Grisly True Crime Account Of The Rochester Prostitute Murders. I got my copy for 5.99, they are now selling it for 132.55, there is also one that is wrapped up in shrink wrap with a cassette tape of Arthur talking about his crimes and victims, I was going to get that one but did not have a tape player. Sorry for some reason wouldn't let me post a picture kept going on top of the other picture in the post.

Misbegotten Son, also about Arthur Shawcross
    Above Suspicion: About the FBI agent who was convicted and confessed to killing his CI, because they were having an affair and she was going to tell his wife and boss.

The Wrong Man The Final Verdict In The Sam Sheppard Case

Endure and Conquer by Sam Sheppard, I have one of the books he and his wife signed.

Sudden Terror about the East Area Rapist aka the Original Night Stalker.

The Michigan Murders

William Heirens His Day in Court

Rough Trade

Homicide a year on the killing streets

Two of a Kind about the Hillside stranglers

The Hillside Strangler

The CBS murders

The Boston Stranglers

A Rose For Mary

Yep I went on a book buying kick in the past month, I save up money and then buy a bunch of books at once.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 12-13-2017 at 02:19 PM.

I'm reading Cruel Sacrifice by Aphrodite Jones again. This one is the Shanda Sharer murder from Melinda Loveless' side. I think I preferred Little Lost Angel by Michael Quinlan better. That was from the Sharer side. Cruel Sacrifice paints Melinda as the victim.

"I just go here!"

I have both of those Books Ria, I too think that Little Lost Angel is good, I have that one on my kindle.

That case is what brought me to FAD in the first place.

"I just go here!"

Nice!, I can't remember what brought me here, I know it was a google search on a serial killer but I can't think of which one.

50. 12-27-2017, 08:51 PM