Page 1 of 29 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

Mrs. Watson Guest

Death Hag Books

So, Kids, what are some of your must read books for true crime, celeb or otherwise?

Any book written by Anne Rule, for sure. Especially Small Sacrifices about Diane Downs who killed her 3 children to keep a man. She has so many good ones, and you really get totally engrossed in their stories.

Hmmmm...too many to list. If you're into history and want to know about the Cambodian Genocide pick up Loung Ung's moving memior called, "First They Killed My father" followed by "Lucky Child". Not true crime in the popular sense but a true crime nonetheless.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Righteous Carnage about John List (he murdered his family in NJ and disappeared for 18 years)

star82 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Any book written by Anne Rule, for sure. Especially Small Sacrifices about Diane Downs who killed her 3 children to keep a man. She has so many good ones, and you really get totally engrossed in their stories.

I like Anne Rule's "stranger beside me" about ted bundy. Great book!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I really enjoy Ann Rule, as well. She's got a few dogs in the pack but for the most part, she's excellent. She has a website and blog as well and does updates on many of her books. Dianne Downs was a monster. The Stranger Beside Me is pretty incredible, as well.

Tommy Thompson, Blood And Money, is a particular favorite of mine.

I just read Internal Combustion, by Joyce Maynard (who was JD Salinger's lover and lived with him when he was like 50+ and she was 19ish) about the teacher in Farmington Hills, MI, Nancy Seaman, who killed her husband with a hatchet, then drove him around in her Explorer for a few days. She claimed abuse at trial, had two sons, one who confirmed abuse, one who denied it. She is serving life without parole now. That was a great read.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Ohhhh John List! Such an interesting case. I dated a guy from Westfield, NJ, used to see that location all the time.

The Last Unicorn, about Ira Einhorn, is another favorite.

I don't read as much true crime as I used to, but my all time favorite to this day is Helter Skelter.

relander Guest
    Rites of Burial, written by Tom Jackman & Troy Cole.

For more information:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rites-Burial-T.../dp/0786014156
    Last edited by relander; 10-07-2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Update

DeadRinger Guest
    The Dark Son by Denise Lang, about Matthew Heikkila, who murdered his parents in January 1991, then buggered off to the Caribbean. He's now in jail in Kentucky and due for release by Christmas 2008.

pinkrose35 Guest
    Helter Skelter, Anything by Ann Rule and Fatal Vision (about the McDonald murders).

katspjs Guest
    Anything by Ann Rule (especially Every Breath You Take), and Bad Blood by Richard M. Levine

I read an interesting one called, "Lobster Boy" about the murder of Lobster Boy, Grady Stiles in that retired carnies town in Florida. In fact, there is a "City Confidential" on about it today. I hope Bill Kurtis discusses my death after I die; his voice is very comforting.
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 10-08-2007 at 06:59 AM. Reason: adding to comment

Jersey Girl Guest
    There are so many... but for me, hands down "In Cold Blood" by Capote is #1 for me.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    So, Kids, what are some of your must read books for true crime, celeb or otherwise?
    As a young child, someone made the mistake of handing me a copy of Bloodletters and Badmen by Jay Robert Nash.

It's bascially a Who's Who of criminals, covering from the 18th Century to the mid-1970s or so. There are three seperate volumes.

It's probably hopelessly old-fashioned by now, considering what's in bookstores today, but it's still a great read. Definitely one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" works.

I would have to agree with the ones mentioned already: In Cold Blood, Helter Skelter, Fatal Vision, and Stranger Beside Me. I also have always liked reading about the Jack the Ripper and Lizzie Borden crimes.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

HKWolf Guest
    Ann Rule is great. Enjoy Lowell Cauffiel too.

knothere Guest
    I want to read Hollywood Babalon, Haunted Places and sumin to do with Hollywood's ghosts, forget the name.

SecretSquirrel Guest

Question Books

I need some suggestions. I'm a book whore to the core and in all honesty disgust myself with the rate I go through 'em - anyway, I recently read Hollywood Babylon as well as a "Hollywood Haunted" thing (read in a day, tiny thing, and only had the creep factor while being read after 11pm, really pretty un-good).

We get a scootch of the Old Hollywood lore here on FAD, and I'm loving all the sordid goings-on I'm getting a glimpse of - anyone have some they've loved? Biographies, whatnot - any and all. I thank you eternally for suggestions!!!!!!

Death Hag related book you are reading now?

I've just started reading a book called "The Portable Obituary" - which is really good. It's an A-Z book filled with how famous (and not so famous people) died, complete with pictures (no death ones tho - damn!), and cool little tidbits about the person.

I just started it last night. Got thru the A's, and read about Louis Armstrong, and how he liked to smoke 3 cigar sized joints a day! I guess that's how he got the inspiration for "What a Wonderful World"!

It's a new book that was just released. I got mine on Amazon for less than $10, and was surprised to open it up after I got it in the mail and see that it was signed by the author!

b57hrle Guest
    Actually I am rereading Hollywood Babylon.. I have both of them... also reading Stevie Ray Vaughan Caught in the Crossfire

Mavros Guest
    This may not be exactly "Hag" related, but it kind of is...

I'm reading Geary's Guide to the World's Great Aphorists by James Geary. It's a collection of aphorisms by both the living (and the dead), from all walks of life. I like collections like this. The Portable Obituary sounds good, too...

keef Guest

WTC

I'm reading '102 Minutes - The Untold Story Of The Fight To Survive Inside The Twin Towers'.

It focusses entirely on events within the WTC in those 102 minutes between the first plane hitting & the second tower collapsing

Pretty good book but a big ask because so much is going on that it is hard to follow sometimes. Some astonishing tales of survival though.

K.
    Last edited by keef; 10-13-2007 at 08:32 AM.

The last days of dead celebrities.
    Michael Fink.

xenaswolf Guest
    I've had the honor of emailing back and forth with Ann Rule. She is a very very wonderful woman and I'll stop reading true crime when she stops writing. Its cool to be so close ( we live in WA) to such a wonderful author!

katspjs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I've had the honor of emailing back and forth with Ann Rule. She is a very very wonderful woman and I'll stop reading true crime when she stops writing. Its cool to be so close ( we live in WA) to such a wonderful author!

Very cool, indeed.

Guest Guest
    That one always gets to me...but the latest of hers that I read was "Green River Running Red" about the Green River Killer Gary Leon Ridgeway...I'm in Tacoma, not far from where the murders of these women and girls took place and what I love is that Anne gave these victims their faces, names and their stories..not just a breakdown of the killer himself

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    That one always gets to me...but the latest of hers that I read was "Green River Running Red" about the Green River Killer Gary Leon Ridgeway...I'm in Tacoma, not far from where the murders of these women and girls took place and what I love is that Anne gave these victims their faces, names and their stories..not just a breakdown of the killer himself

oh and just a note...Diane Downs did not kill all three of her children..she shot all three...one died that night and the other two survived..the little boy from my understanding was paralyzed from the waist down and the oldest girl suffered neurological damage as well

Guest Guest
    Patricia Cornwell mainly writes fictional books about crime however there is one book she wrote called "Jack the Ripper, case closed" that is her own personal investigation into the case...it's a great read and based on what evidence still exists and her findings...I think she really did solve it!

beandip Guest
    What a way to go: the guillotine, the pendulum, the thousand cuts, the Spanish donkey, and 66 other ways of putting someone to death
    Abbott, Geoffrey

viridescence Guest
    I read "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Jo Roach recently. Fascinating.

Ms. K Guest
    Let's see......

• In Cold Blood
    • Helter Skelter
    • The Family: The Story of Charles Manson's Dune Buggy Attack Battalion (HORRIBLY written, but interesting all the same)
    • Before He Wakes (I love Jerry Bledsoe, I just do)
    • Anything written by Ann Rule
    • Scary Monsters and Super Freaks (not all true crime, but good)
    • Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets
    • Homicide Special by Miles Corwin (LAPD Homicide)
    • Zodiac, by Robert Graysmith (yes, I know, I KNOW, not totally accurate, blah blah blah, but a good read)
    Not only do I love them, I own them.

Daphne Guest
    IN cold blood, hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I've just started reading a book called "The Portable Obituary" - which is really good. It's an A-Z book filled with how famous (and not so famous people) died, complete with pictures (no death ones tho - damn!), and cool little tidbits about the person.

I just started it last night. Got thru the A's, and read about Louis Armstrong, and how he liked to smoke 3 cigar sized joints a day! I guess that's how he got the inspiration for "What a Wonderful World"!

It's a new book that was just released. I got mine on Amazon for less than $10, and was surprised to open it up after I got it in the mail and see that it was signed by the author!
    That sounds cool, I'll get a copy. And hello from a fellow Aries...is it an Aries thing to be a death hag? ..we should take a poll and see if there's a trend here LOL

oh and just a note...Diane Downs did not kill all three of her children..she shot all three...one died that night and the other two survived..the little boy from my understanding was paralyzed from the waist down and the oldest girl suffered neurological damage as well
    You are right. And if I remember correctly, the man who prosecuted Diane Downs ended up adopting either one or both of the children.

Guest Guest
    You are right. And if I remember correctly, the man who prosecuted Diane Downs ended up adopting either one or both of the children.

from what I do understand he adopted both children

Guest Guest
    Written in Bones - Paul Bahn

Oh and far be it from me to do a little self-promotion...http://astore.amazon.com/thesevcir-20

LOW LOW PRICES! ALL THE DEAD FLOWN IN FRESH DAILY! STILL GOT THE STINK ON EM!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2007 at 03:53 PM.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Finished the Warren Zevon book "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead."

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    The last days of dead celebrities.
    Michael Fink.
    That one sounds good - I just went on Amazon and ordered a copy. And just FYI - it's Mitchell Fink who wrote the book.

RoRo Guest
    I'm reading an old book called Tallulah.. obviously it's about Ms. Bankhead..lol and I just finished a book about the Body Farm (not really a death hag book, but very interesting!) where I will go upon my death

xenaswolf Guest

Howdy neighbor...Lakewood here

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by viridescence View Post
    I read "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Jo Roach recently. Fascinating.
    I bought that book at the Mutter Museum when I was in Philly this summer!

Not only is the museum awesome (truly a museum for Death Hags), but the book was VERY well done.

Right now, I'm reading, for the 345728301298345th time, Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets, by David Simon. Love that book!

PvN73 Guest
    Helter Skelter - great and chilling. All of the Mark "Chopper" Read books - they are so funny (probably an Aust thing though...)

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    That one sounds good - I just went on Amazon and ordered a copy. And just FYI - it's Mitchell Fink who wrote the book.
    Oops, sorry about that. Couple of good ones in there though :-)

beandip Guest
    Found another one at the library. I just started reading it:

What a way to go: Fabulous Funerals of the Famous and Infamous
    Adele Q. Brown

(Kind of bizzare that they're the same title)

Analyst_Rob Guest
    'Assassination Vacation' by Sarah Vowell
    Really great readā?¦ lots of funā?¦..
    She's got to be a Hagā?¦ā?¦

jlhist64 Guest
    By far... ZODIAC

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    Found another one at the library. I just started reading it:

What a way to go: Fabulous Funerals of the Famous and Infamous
    Adele Q. Brown

(Kind of bizzare that they're the same title)
    I've got that one in my collection. Great book filled with lots of great death photos.

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    As a young child, someone made the mistake of handing me a copy of Bloodletters and Badmen by Jay Robert Nash.

It's bascially a Who's Who of criminals, covering from the 18th Century to the mid-1970s or so. There are three seperate volumes.

It's probably hopelessly old-fashioned by now, considering what's in bookstores today, but it's still a great read. Definitely one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" works.
    *snicker*

When I was 12, the librarians made the mistake of letting me check out Helter Skelter.

And, we pause to reflect on the moment that another Death Hag was born....

lulu Guest
    Just finished reading Hollywood Babylon II. Not as good as the first, but still interesting.

The Portable Obituary, Fabulous Funerals of the Famous and Infamous, and The last days of dead celebrities are now on my "to buy" list! Thanks guys!