Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344142434445 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 2256

Thread: Buddy Holly

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    If you haven't seen it yet, check this out.Remember, the software is upgraded for crash alarms which didn't exist in 1959, also, it was dark, about 1:30AM, and spitting snow, as well as blustery. This is about as good as I think anyone can demonstrate, given what was witnessed and forensically determined. Just a lousy event.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P-GbYiKg2U

Challenger2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    If you haven't seen it yet, check this out.Remember, the software is upgraded for crash alarms which didn't exist in 1959, also, it was dark, about 1:30AM, and spitting snow, as well as blustery. This is about as good as I think anyone can demonstrate, given what was witnessed and forensically determined. Just a lousy event.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P-GbYiKg2U
    I will take up flying lessons myself in a few years (I'm 19 now), and when I really get good at flight simulators I'll try to do one that is better than that one, but right now it's the best thing you'll find on youtube. (Even though in real life their plane banked at almost 90 degrees, something this video doesn't really show)

Nowhereman Guest
    I wonder what became of the wreckage after the investigation?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    I wonder what became of the wreckage after the investigation?
    All kinds of rumors. Some say Jerry Dwyer has the plane hidden somewhere while I've heard Jerry buried the plane someplace so no one can see it.

Stealing this off the Buddy Holly's Life FB page, just because it's such a rare photo...likely early 1958, when Buddy's Strat got stolen and, without time between shows to get another, he had to make do with a hollow body Gibson or Epiphone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bholly_rare.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	51967

That's a great pic thanks racingfan

On December 4 2014 Bob Montgomery passed away. Bob was a childhood friend of Buddy and they played together professionally as Buddy and Bob, Country and Bop. They decided to go their separate ways as Bob was more inclined towards country and Buddy rock and roll. They remained friends til Buddy's death. They even co-wrote together.

I'm watching the Buddy Holly Story. I come across it on tv once a decade or so. And every time I watch it, it gives me a new appreciation of him as an artist.

Could new investigation clear Buddy Holly pilot?

http://www.stormlakepilottribune.com/story/2158033.html

There's some interesting stuff in this article. The guy doing the investigation is wondering about how much fuel was on the plane, and if it may have been too heavy. It also says the plane wreckage is still out there.
    Last edited by SRVFan; 01-21-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Exceptionally interesting story. If Dwyer has retained the wreckage, as is claimed, there should be no reason why it shouldn't be presented to capable, objective, investigators. It's digging for facts, but likely to only add to supposition. However, the four victims are still dead, and likely to remain so.
    Isn't there a fantastic, human desire to want to reverse history? "If only I could have stopped that flight?" "If only I had stopped Oswald?"
    Fascinating discussion.

Here's something to chew over...this has just been discovered. Do you think its really BH and the crickets?

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...eature%3Dshare

What a great discovery. It sure sounds like Buddy. It's amazing how items keep turning up.

Quote Originally Posted by SRVFan View Post
    Could new investigation clear Buddy Holly pilot?

http://www.stormlakepilottribune.com/story/2158033.html

There's some interesting stuff in this article. The guy doing the investigation is wondering about how much fuel was on the plane, and if it may have been too heavy. It also says the plane wreckage is still out there.
    This is an absolutely fantastic find, filed with a lot of theories which, IMO, could shed a lot of light on what could have happened. Jerry Dwyer should have come forth with his theories many years ago as due to his age, he's not able to be interviewed.

Lothar Pedd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletnose View Post
    What a great discovery. It sure sounds like Buddy. It's amazing how items keep turning up.
    Here is the interview after the speed was corrected a little bit:

https://soundcloud.com/wrestling-aud...peed-corrected

Lothar (Gelsenkirchen/Germany)

Challenger2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfan View Post
    Here's something to chew over...this has just been discovered. Do you think its really BH and the crickets?

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...eature%3Dshare
    If you've listened to all other Buddy Holly tapes of him talking you would know that is without doubt him. The way he speaks and everything, and also Jerry Allison sounds just like himself too lol

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar Pedd View Post
    Here is the interview after the speed was corrected a little bit:

https://soundcloud.com/wrestling-aud...peed-corrected

Lothar (Gelsenkirchen/Germany)
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2008 View Post
    If you've listened to all other Buddy Holly tapes of him talking you would know that is without doubt him. The way he speaks and everything, and also Jerry Allison sounds just like himself too lol
    He sounds suspiciously like Lee Harvey Oswald.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    He sounds suspiciously like Lee Harvey Oswald.
    I bet he's still alive.

Rosebud666 Guest
    I ran across some interesting information the other night.
    While I haven't reviewed all 43 pages of this thread (although I tried, Lord how I tried), I don't think it has ever been mentioned here.

All Bonanzas share an unusual feature: the yoke and rudder pedals are interconnected by a system of flexible bungees which assist in keeping the airplane in coordinated flight during turns. The bungee system allows the pilot to make coordinated turns using the yoke alone, or with minimal rudder input, during cruise flight.

http://www.basicaircraft.com/beechcraft-bonanza.asp

Now suppose one of those bungee cords snapped or became disconnected. At best, this could cause the plane to sideslip when the pilot tried to make a turn without rudder input as usual. At worst, it would make the plane yaw suddenly for no apparent reason. It's doubtful if the problem would show up after the crash, since what was left of the plane was pretty much a ball of cables and fuselage.

So what is all yall's favorite Buddy Holly song? I'm playing an open stage on Monday night, and I think I'm going to try a medley of a little "American Pie", a little "Chantilly Lace", a little "La Bamba", and a lot of "Not Fade Away".

Hi everybody!
    This is my first post but I'm a loooong time lurker and also (of course) a death hag . First of all I want to say a big THANKS to everyone who had posted here. I've got so much information that it's imperative to say thanks again haha.
    For second I'm from Spain and self educated in English so feel totally free to correct me if I say something wrong.
    I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know Mr. Holley until 6 years ago when I met muy now husband (he is a radio broadcaster here) who said me: "You look just like Buddy Holly's little sister" (because my spectacles) and I was like: "Who?". Then he told me: "Go and search little padawan". I will always love him for that because I could discover tons of amazing music included Buddy.
    Never before I consider myself a "fan" of nobody (not even when I was a teenager) but I surrender to Buddy Holly's music and person. So... I'm a super fan right now!
    I would like to give you some information about all this but I'm afraid can't give anything else but my thoughts on it.
    And then again Thanks! really want to be in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I bet he's still alive.
    I don't think he's still alive because the coffin (the first one) his brother bought was sold by the funeral home who dug him up and reburied him in a new coffin was sold by the funeral home to a death hag (I'm assuming) for $87,000 and now they have to give the money to the brother who the judge says owned the coffin.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I don't think he's still alive because the coffin (the first one) his brother bought was sold by the funeral home who dug him up and reburied him in a new coffin was sold by the funeral home to a death hag (I'm assuming) for $87,000 and now they have to give the money to the brother who the judge says owned the coffin.
    I was kidding lol. I think he's dead as a doornail. I was messing with Rosebud.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Oooooooh baby, you knooooooooow what I like!

LOL I sort of feel sorry for them having to return the money to the brother for the box tho.
    Minerva

LOL I sort of feel sorry for them having to return the money to the brother for the box tho.
    Haha me too!

Maybebaby Guest
    Hi. This is my first post after visiting this site over several days. Does anyone know if Mr Dwyer finally published his book? I read that he is very ill now, so Im hoping that he finished it before he became sick. Also, do they know if any of the bodies were thrown thru the plane's windshield or thrown when the plane broke apart? I also read there was another pilot who stated he was flying in the viscinity and spoke to a pilot who said he was loosing power and having trouble correcting the plane. He said he realized the next day when news of the crash was reported the next morning, that it was RP who he was talking to. If this is true, shouldnt the airport have picked up that conversation as well, being that the crash was so close to the air port? I am not sure how that works though.

I guess I'm gonna be listening to all my Buddy and Ritchie songs today of all days.

RIP those guys (once more).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Yes, once more....rest in peace. So missed.

Challenger2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybebaby View Post
    Also, do they know if any of the bodies were thrown thru the plane's windshield or thrown when the plane broke apart?
    Seeing detailed photos of the wreckage I could tell that from just behind the pilot's seat going backwards, the plane remained RELATIVELY intact and when I mean "relatively" I mean it isn't a ball of unidentifiable metal combined with cables, you can see the structure of the plane easily. But it's just as easy to see the front half was split apart so much it's as if a bomb exploded inside the engine, and with damage like that caused from an impact, there would be no windshield for the bodies to fly through because it would have been disintegrated. So most certainly they just had open space in front of them...

It's such a sad crash, but no-one ever really considers it a mystery. Everyone just takes what the NTSB concluded but they don't look into the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2008 View Post
    Seeing detailed photos of the wreckage I could tell that from just behind the pilot's seat going backwards, the plane remained RELATIVELY intact and when I mean "relatively" I mean it isn't a ball of unidentifiable metal combined with cables, you can see the structure of the plane easily. But it's just as easy to see the front half was split apart so much it's as if a bomb exploded inside the engine, and with damage like that caused from an impact, there would be no windshield for the bodies to fly through because it would have been disintegrated. So most certainly they just had open space in front of them...

It's such a sad crash, but no-one ever really considers it a mystery. Everyone just takes what the NTSB concluded but they don't look into the details.

I think pretty much everyone considers it a mystery. They've just come to terms with the fact it will probably never be solved as anyone who could answer questions is dead.

Challenger2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    I think pretty much everyone considers it a mystery. They've just come to terms with the fact it will probably never be solved as anyone who could answer questions is dead.
    Except Jerry Dwyer himself

And according to the above article, he's too sick to be interviewed now.

Jerry Dwyer hasn't talked since 1959 and he's not about to start now.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Personally, I'm still intrigued by the bungee cord angle (see above), but nobody here seems to have noticed my post. LOL

Looks like we could get that investigation...

http://globegazette.com/news/local/n...764c69e8b.html

Doesn't look like the family is going for it...

http://www.lubbockonline.com/local-n...just#gsc.tab=0

well, they need to!
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me to post this:

"Joe B. Mauldin, whose bass playing for the Crickets helped set the pulse of rock & roll, died Saturday, February 7th. He was 74 years old."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ssist-20150210

38. 03-06-2015, 01:29 AM
    Reason
    Dupe

littlekatyb Guest
    Hi everyone,

I have been lurking in the shadows on the forum for the past year or so and finally decided to post. I am a massive Buddy fan and have been since I was 4 years old (now 32) My Mum has always been a big fan of his and used to play his records all the time when I was younger, so her love of his music rubbed off onto me and my brother

Just want to say thank you to all of you for all your amazing contributions on this forum, has made fantastic reading!

Quote Originally Posted by littlekatyb View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been lurking in the shadows on the forum for the past year or so and finally decided to post. I am a massive Buddy fan and have been since I was 4 years old (now 32) My Mum has always been a big fan of his and used to play his records all the time when I was younger, so her love of his music rubbed off onto me and my brother

Just want to say thank you to all of you for all your amazing contributions on this forum, has made fantastic reading!
    Welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by littlekatyb View Post
    Hi everyone,

Welcome doll.
    Minerva

littlekatyb Guest
    Welcome doll.
    Thanks everyone!

Challenger2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    Seeing this thread bumped reminded me to post this:

"Joe B. Mauldin, whose bass playing for the Crickets helped set the pulse of rock & roll, died Saturday, February 7th. He was 74 years old."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ssist-20150210
    Rest In Peace Joe B. Very sad to find that out

Amazing how much Marshall Crenshaw looks and sounds like Buddy...

https://youtu.be/mE-4hj_RwI8

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Personally, I'm still intrigued by the bungee cord angle (see above), but nobody here seems to have noticed my post. LOL
    I did and you could be right. The cords also could have been worn and it was a cold night. The CAA had just become the FAA and aircraft inspections were rudimentary at best. Not as may lighted highways or cities for orientation and navaid's weren't jack back then.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Challenger2008 Guest
    At least it explains the 90 degree bank. Perhaps he's right, I mean the plane had just done a full U-turn after taking off then it turned left again, perhaps this put a lot of strain on it?

Recently got The Best of Bobby Vee CD. About half of the CD were covers of Buddy's songs. The crash was the start of Bobby's career and he often paid tribute to Buddy

Yes, Bobby definitely knows that. I hate to keep repeating this but I'm a friend of his son and he is also a huge Buddy fan. We talked about Buddy and he said he goes out to the crash memorial whenever he is down in that area. When I told him my birthday (12 Sep) he said "oh, not far from Buddy's!", he definitely knows his stuff and knows he pretty much owes everything to Buddy Holly and that horrible tragedy. At least one good thing came out of this disaster. btw Bobby's wife died a couple weeks ago. They were married forever, at least 50 years.

Sorry to hear about Bobby's wife. All Buddy fans know about Bobby Vee replacing Buddy on the tour. Even his early songs sound just like Buddy. Hope he's doing well
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Yes, Bobby definitely knows that. I hate to keep repeating this but I'm a friend of his son and he is also a huge Buddy fan. We talked about Buddy and he said he goes out to the crash memorial whenever he is down in that area. When I told him my birthday (12 Sep) he said "oh, not far from Buddy's!", he definitely knows his stuff and knows he pretty much owes everything to Buddy Holly and that horrible tragedy. At least one good thing came out of this disaster. btw Bobby's wife died a couple weeks ago. They were married forever, at least 50 years.

mrsr Guest
    Happy birthday Buddy!

Is it today? I always think it's the 9th for some reason. I knew it was near my birthday (this Saturday). It's one of my friend's birthdays today as well, I'll have to use that to help me remember.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY~~~~ You are missed!!