Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy Holly

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    The New Jay & TA? Glad they are working around that woman.
    HA HA.....actually the original Americans now own the name of the group "Jay & The Americans". Jay Black is the singer that did most of the hits, but he wasn't the original Jay, either. Jay Traynor was. A couple years back, Jay Black tried owning the name of the group and when the Americans found out, they bought the name back themselves and hired a new singer as Jay and are now out on tour with him. They sound GREAT. Catch them, if you can! The new "Jay" is as good as the others and sure can hit those notes!

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I've known people in the "Holly circle" for a long time and know for all of that to be true.
    Yes, she is a money grubbing whore. No one liked her, Buddy was starting to see it too.

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanBoyGirl View Post
    Yes, she is a money grubbing whore. No one liked her, Buddy was starting to see it too.
    She is part of the reason you never see a complete box-set of Buddy's work. She wants way too much money in return, but I also heard The Crickets themselves are holding up the box-set as well, which is a shame as it will bring his entire catalog to the masses. If they wait much longer, nobody will be around to care anymore.

onehunglow Guest

Ok...........??

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    HA HA.....actually the original Americans now own the name of the group "Jay & The Americans". Jay Black is the singer that did most of the hits, but he wasn't the original Jay, either. Jay Traynor was. A couple years back, Jay Black tried owning the name of the group and when the Americans found out, they bought the name back themselves and hired a new singer as Jay and are now out on tour with him. They sound GREAT. Catch them, if you can! The new "Jay" is as good as the others and sure can hit those notes!
    So does Jay Black still tour and if so under what name? Either way I will be at the Surf. I think "The Buddy Holly Story" was behind getting the 1st event. Has Gary B ever attended?

Gary Guest
    Yes, Jay Black does still perform, but doesn't really do a lot of touring. He was told he can only perform as JAY BLACK, I think he can not make any mention of The Americans, but I could be wrong.
    Yes, I've been to Clear Lake many times and have my ticket for '08 and already planning '09.

candleinthewind Guest
    At some point didn't Paul McCartney own the Buddy Holly music catalog? I always heard that he was a big fan and owned some of the rights.

onehunglow Guest

In my other post I said I think something broke

Quote Originally Posted by SW4 View Post
    Thanks mate, fascinating clip. The aircraft may have been in distress during descent, but it looks as if it crashed nose-first based on the passengers being ejected but the pilot in place. I wonder what event may have caused that ?
    There was snow but the math does work. As I said the plane was in the air around 3 minutes. The math works using the 160 MPH ground speed. The crash was 5 miles from the airport and again the math works. I looked at that plane’s specs. They would have been around 2200 to 2300 feet using the standard rate of accent. Then the nose dive. Unless the pilot died that should not have happened. A pilot is trained that of you’re lost in weather climb. He was not IR but he sure had to know how to read his altimeter. The missing wing......you don't hear much about. Yes I did take flying lessons, but quit. The stall thing was too much for me.
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-12-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    At some point didn't Paul McCartney own the Buddy Holly music catalog? I always heard that he was a big fan and owned some of the rights.
    I believe he still does.

Gary Guest
    There was snow but the math don't work. As I said the plane was in the air around 3 minutes. The math works using the 160 MPH ground speed. The crash was 5 miles from the airport and again the math works. I looked at that planes specs. They would have been around 2200 to 2300 feet using the standard rate of accent. Then the nose dive. Unless the pilot died that should not have happened. A pilot is trained that of your lost in weather climb. He was not IR but he sure had to know how to read his altimeter. The missing wing......you don't hear much about. Yes I did take flying lessons, but quit. The stall thing was too much for me.
    The pilot (Roger Peterson) wasn't trained to use instrument flying. He failed his test for that a couple of times, but he was the only pilot available at that time of night, so he got the call. Seems when he read the instruments, he read them wrong so when he THOUGHT the plane was going up, it was actually going down and when he thought it was going to the left, it was actually going to the right and so he turned the wing to the right.....and then it hit the ground. There was only light flurries falling, there was no blizzard. I've talked to Jerry Dwyer, who owned the plane, and even after all these years, he still gets choked up over the accident. Says he has the remains of the plane stored away and it will NEVER see the light of day. I don't know why he just doesn't have it destroyed then, but my guess is that after he's gone, his family will then decide what to do with it.

onehunglow Guest

To the far right

Quote Originally Posted by BeanBoyGirl View Post
    I watched it, were is buddy?
    About 20 feet from the plane.

onehunglow Guest

I agree

Says he has the remains of the plane stored away and it will NEVER see the light of day. I don't know why he just doesn't have it destroyed then, but my guess is that after he's gone, his family will then decide what to do with it.[/quote]
    [SIZE=3]Hard to think that a licensed pilot could be that untrained. I grew up in Charles City and my brother knows many people who flew with Roger. They got a good ride and said he was a good pilot. He may have not been IR rated but no instructor would have passed him if he did what you described. I have heard rumors that the plane is in an old barn about 45 minutes away from MC. A lot People saw it go down the gravel road on a flat bed. I could be there in 1 hour. I do know the place was a dairy farm and had a bunch of bulls around it and it was rumored to be in an old machine shed. I have no idea what it is today but I doubt if it still a dairy farm. I’ll have to ask my brother as he is the same age as buddy and had a ticket to the show but had to go to work and sold it. Many of my older cousins did see the show and one gal was never the same. [/SIZE]

did wing icing have anything to do with it?

onehunglow Guest

I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    did wing icing have anything to do with it?
    The snow was dry and Roger had to know ice living here. The other thing would have been if had set his flaps wrong. That will do just what happened. Allow you to take off and if you don't set them, you WILL go nose into the ground.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Airlines_Flight_203

I worked this crash. They didn't set the flaps.

Gary Guest
    Says he has the remains of the plane stored away and it will NEVER see the light of day. I don't know why he just doesn't have it destroyed then, but my guess is that after he's gone, his family will then decide what to do with it.
    [SIZE=3]Hard to think that a licensed pilot could be that untrained. I grew up in Charles City and my brother knows many people who flew with Roger. They got a good ride and said he was a good pilot. He may have not been IR rated but no instructor would have passed him if he did what you described. I have heard rumors that the plane is in an old barn about 45 minutes away from MC. A lot People saw it go down the gravel road on a flat bed. I could be there in 1 hour. I do know the place was a dairy farm and had a bunch of bulls around it and it was rumored to be in an old machine shed. I have no idea what it is today but I doubt if it still a dairy farm. Iâ??ll have to ask my brother as he is the same age as buddy and had a ticket to the show but had to go to work and sold it. Many of my older cousins did see the show and one gal was never the same. [/SIZE][/quote]

Yes, they probably did get "a good ride" with Roger, but that was during the day, probably. He didn't need to fly by instruments during the day, apparently.
    Also, if you know ANYBODY with photos from that last show, please let me know. Apparently only ONE person has come forward with pictures from that last show, and he only brings them to the Surf every Feb. for the memorabilia show, but they are not for sale, only for show. I have yet to see them, but those who have said they're not the greatest photos around, but they ARE the last pictures of the three stars.

miz rosebud Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhollylover View Post
    i watch anythig w/ buddy in it and i cry. i've loved him all my life. is that weird though, i'm only 33? anyhow....i named my youngest daughter holly after him.

Holly is a great name i love it!!!!!! I love having this name i wouldnt change it for the world.maybe thats why i love hollywood sooo damn much.buddy holly is a legend......o peggy sue

onehunglow Guest

Hmm

The only photos I've seen or heard about was taken outside the Surf of the crowd. Growing up 15 minutes from there, I would have heard about them. I know that the people who took the refreshments to the green room said Buddy was very nervous and didn't say much except "don't people here know what heat is!?". As you know the green room is right by that back door that faces north. I will ask. My Brother still lives near the old family farm and knows all that stuff. He is the one who told me where the plane is, but he like a lot of farmers keeps things to himself. But if I get him in the right mood and ask him about that night, he won't shut up. He got me my piece of the plane. Just a piece of cable, but none the less.

onehunglow Guest

And for me, and I guess because I grew up here.

I remember that day and seeing the crash on the news that night. I started playing guitars over 40 years ago and did a few of Buddy's songs just because they were easy and so rocked. Then when I saw the BHS and Gary B brought Buddy back to life in what should have been an OSCAR I was taken. I went out and bought every thing I could find. We learned almost every song. I really think had it not been for Gary B. becoming Buddy well, just fade away. Buddy also gave Fender their big break. Gibsons were expensive and one could get a Fender for half. Like most, who play you get use to a sound and the way the fret board plays. Had Gibson been smart, they would have loaded him up.

Gary Guest
    The only photos I've seen or heard about was taken outside the Surf of the crowd. Growing up 15 minutes from there, I would have heard about them. I know that the people who took the refreshments to the green room said Buddy was very nervous and didn't say much except "don't people here know what heat is!?". As you know the green room is right by that back door that faces north. I will ask. My Brother still lives near the old family farm and knows all that stuff. He is the one who told me where the plane is, but he like a lot of farmers keeps things to himself. But if I get him in the right mood and ask him about that night, he won't shut up. He got me my piece of the plane. Just a piece of cable, but none the less.
    I can't give the name of the guy who has them, but there were NINE photos taken that night by this guy, including one shot of Buddy playing the drums! Again, I haven't seen them, but if you go to Clear Lake in '08, chances are pretty good that the owner of the photos will be at the memorabilia show, showing them off.

onehunglow Guest

I'll be there

I hope the 09 is going to be a huge blow out. That will be my last year in Iowa before I head south for retirement. Well, I am going to keep the band thing going until I go to the body farm. Well Buddy did indeed fill in on drums. I want to say for Richie.So they must be out there. At least he does show them. It wasn't that many years ago they found his glasses in a bag at the cop shop and some other items.
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-12-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Gary Guest
    I hope the 09 is going to be a huge blow out. That will be my last year in Iowa before I head south for retirement. Well, I am going to keep the band thing going until I go to the body farm. Well Buddy did indeed fill in on drums. I want to say for Richie.So they must be out there. At least he does show them.
    I believe you're right about Buddy playing drums for Richie. And I think Richie and Dion played for Buddy....maybe one of the Belmonts did as well.
    I can promise you this....the '09 show WILL be a "huge blow out"! I've been in contact with the organizers and I'm trying to set up some acts with them.

Gary Guest
    I hope the 09 is going to be a huge blow out. That will be my last year in Iowa before I head south for retirement. Well, I am going to keep the band thing going until I go to the body farm. Well Buddy did indeed fill in on drums. I want to say for Richie.So they must be out there. At least he does show them. It wasn't that many years ago they found his glasses in a bag at the cop shop and some other items.
    I think that was in '84 or '85 they found the glasses, in a file at the court house. It was during one of the tribute show weekends that they were found and it was a VERY big deal at the show. I'm pretty sure a few fans rushed to the court house to see them, but I wasn't one of them.

onehunglow Guest

Next weekend

I'll be taking the metal detector out to the crash site and looking for parts. Hard to tell people throw so much crap out there. But like rocks, that stuff all works to the top. My Cousin has about 3 pounds of the plane (her dad picked it up in 59) and I wanted a small piece for Scott. The old bag wanted a ton of money for a piece the size of penny. I'll find my own. I know where the plane hit and not many do. Then just work back to the RIP spot. They don't care after the crops are out.

Gary Guest
    I'll be taking the metal detector out to the crash site and looking for parts. Hard to tell people throw so much crap out there. But like rocks, that stuff all works to the top. My Cousin has about 3 pounds of the plane (her dad picked it up in 59) and I wanted a small piece for Scott. The old bag wanted a ton of money for a piece the size of penny. I'll find my own. I know where the plane hit and not many do. Then just work back to the RIP spot. They don't care after the crops are out.
    Yeah, the marker is NOT where the actual plane hit, but that's okay. As long as the fans are happy............

onehunglow Guest

Yep

I think is close to the final spot but the slam dunk is about 400 feet away. I have it on the GPS and can walk right to the POI.

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    the movie la bamba makes me cry like a baby every time.
    I saw LaBamba and The Buddy Holly Story. I was disappointed. They had the same ending. Can't Hollywood come up with something original once in a while?
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RoRo Guest
    They were all so young...this one of the stories that fascinate me, not sure why.
    There is a great site called planecrashinfo.com it has info (and some pics) from nearly every plane crash from like 1908. Ther are 3 pics from the Holly crash

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Great posts everyone!

Question: How come nobody ever mentions Norman Petty who pretty much ripped alot of musicians off in his day? It was my understanding that was part of the reason Buddy agreed to the brutal winter tour was Petty was holding back a lot of money owed to Buddy.

Amazing footage...Buddy was/is missed. I can only imagine the music that he missed out on.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

onehunglow Guest

I've heard that

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    Great posts everyone!

Question: How come nobody ever mentions Norman Petty who pretty much ripped alot of musicians off in his day? It was my understanding that was part of the reason Buddy agreed to the brutal winter tour was Petty was holding back a lot of money owed to Buddy.
    The one thing the movie got right was he did not want to do it. That and his wife was spending it as fast as he got it.

Bee1001 Guest
    Ugh, I can't stand Maria Elena. Apparently she can't stop spending it if she's asking for major bucks for anything that has to do with Buddy's name.

deathybrad Guest
    I'm in Iowa, I've never heard anyone say my state killed Buddy. Maybe I'm in the wrong generation...

Bee1001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    I'm in Iowa, I've never heard anyone say my state killed Buddy. Maybe I'm in the wrong generation...

I'm not in Iowa, but I've never put it that way either. At most I've heard the blame put on Norman Petty over anyone.

knothere Guest
    holy moly
    it woodn't be like that nowadays

onehunglow Guest

I got that after the movie came out

Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    I travel a lot and now I get asked about the crash. In 1980-85 I would say I was from Iowa and get that response in a lot of ways. I got it once in CA. and I said yeah, but your State Killed a lot more than mine.

onehunglow Guest

The blame goes to Buddy if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee1001 View Post
    I'm not in Iowa, but I've never put it that way either. At most I've heard the blame put on Norman Petty over anyone.
    He was advised not to fly out in that weather, he was the one who demanded a pilot. The others took the ride, but Buddy was the one who asked for and got a plane ride. The owner of the flight service has been in hell ever since.

Gary Guest
    He was advised not to fly out in that weather, he was the one who demanded a pilot. The others took the ride, but Buddy was the one who asked for and got a plane ride. The owner of the flight service has been in hell ever since.
    True. The original riders for the plane were to be Buddy, Waylon Jennings (gave his seat to the Big Bopper because Bopper was sick), and Tommy Allsup. Ritchie wanted in so he asked Tommy to flip a coin.....Ritchie called HEADS and that's what it was.
    Dion refused to fly because the cost was too much. $36. Said he turned it down because that was a month's rent!

onehunglow Guest

More Buddy for Gary. Look close

Last edited by onehunglow; 10-20-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Deleted to move

Gary Guest
    Right on. Tommy really is a nice guy, too. Just a "good 'ol boy".

Bee1001 Guest

True. I mentioned Norman Petty because he withheld money that Buddy needed. If he hadn't have done that, Buddy wouldn't have gone on the tour in the first place. Really lucky break for Tommy though, huh?

deathybrad Guest
    When Holly learned that Waylon Jennings wasn't going to fly, he said, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings responded, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." This friendly banter of friends would haunt Jennings for years.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest

Buddy's Bag

Buddy's Overnight bag found at wreck site, Thought I would share the link.

http://www.rockin50s.com/bag.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post

Wow, can't imagine what his brother went through emotionally id'ing the body. To see that overnight bag, really makes it more human.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Bee1001 Guest
    Wasn't it Buddy's brother's friend that went in to view the body? I read somewhere he went in, came out and puked in the bushes and said something along the lines of "I'm glad you didn't go in there".

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    Of all of the dead people on Find A Death, I think the saddest one Is Buddy Holly. He was too young. He was way ahead of his time. He had raw talent that you don't get in voice or guitar lessons. He should be a senior citizen now with stuff to share. That link with his bag and personal items is heartbreaking.

wraith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post

Thanks for sharing this. In spite of years of studying and researching this sad, tragic accident, I had never seen this article before.

RoRo Guest
    Here's a link to the story of Buddy's glasses that he was wearing when he died...
    http://www.buddyhollyarchives.com/glasses.shtml

Jack Raines Guest
    Anyone remember the backmasking craze? Apparently there were backward messages in a couple of Buddy Holly's songs, as evidenced on YouTube...

Everyday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbnLDLyVZ5Y

That'll Be The Day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMpmBtUumQ

48. 10-30-2007, 02:25 AM

Gary Guest
    Those are the dumbest things I've ever heard......how corny! (as in cornfield, where Buddy was killed)

Lisamarie Guest
    Why did they all three eject from the plane ? I heard tha Big Bopper was nude except his socks...was it the force of the crash ?? Anyone know???

onehunglow Guest

The plane hit at about 169 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Why did they all three eject from the plane ? I heard tha Big Bopper was nude except his socks...was it the force of the crash ?? Anyone know???
    Went almost straight down and broke in half. Yes the Bopper was found almost nude. The links decribe the crash by people who were there.