Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Knotts

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    Cool...but forgive me, what's the significance of the pennies?
    I read it means the same thing as leaving a flower. A token of appreciation. Then I read it means you're cheap.

pennies left at grave sites

One is that Benjamin Franklin's grave has pennies on it because of
    the "penny saved is a penny earned" adage.
    And, I suppose, the practice has spread.
    Another is that pennies are put on some graves as pennies from heaven.
    Still another is that in some traditions, there was believed to be a fee due
    to pass to the underworld, and that these coins are intended to help the
    deceased pay for the passage.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DelightfulDeathHag View Post
    great pic!
    My profile pic is me at Don't grave. I was really surprised it was so simple...didn't even give the day or month he died????

Jesse Donald Knotts (July 21, 1924 ?? February 24, 2006)
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-20-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Captain Kundalini Guest

Don Knotts

Hi gang,

This is for all of you Ghost and Mr. Chicken fans out there and just in time for Halloween.

http://theghoster.net/Music/Hallowee...ed%20Organ.mp3

Enjoy, folks. Enjoy.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum

onehunglow Guest
    Where's his bullet? Wonder if he is wearing the old salt and pepper? I doubt he'll be doing a dip.

Danny62 Guest
    Does anyone know if there are any pictures of the funeral or anything? Sounds like from Scott's story on FAD it was very private.

If anyone knows of any please let me know!

I know at one point on findagrave there was a pic of the tractor that had dug Don's grave next to it!!

I bought an autographed photo from a collector and this came with the certificate of authenticity. A photo of him signing the picture.
    What a great man!
    Last edited by Homicide Cop; 10-27-2007 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling

LupeVelez Guest

Sista Sara LMAO!

I was a florist for 35 years and we always said the same thing about Jewish people because they never lavished the money out for flowers like most every ethnicity does.

cindysgold Guest
    I've heard of pennies on the grave stone..
    it means good luck...lol
    I guess in the afterlife ??

Katie Guest
    It is hard to believe he is gone.

kdeazell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    We discussed the "pennies" under Natalie Wood, because I found the same thing on her headstone. Now I have heard two versions, one was the "pennies from heaven" and as someone pointed out here, shows someone visited, they have seen stones before as well. I hadn't heard the visit one, thats interesting.
    And I had heard it was a greek thing too.
    Kim

One of my all-time favorites.

The Incredible Mr. Limpet was one of my favorite movies as a kid as was the Andy Griffith show.

VegasVic Guest
    Interesting about the pennies.... Sounds like a decent part-time income. Trolling cemeteries collecting pennies.

malaki Guest
    I liked him in Private Eyes w/Tim Conway..I thought that was funny.....

don knotts interviews

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Did you ever notice what a rag-ass Andy is in the color episodes?
    You can get a couple of hours of Don Knotts being interviewed about his life and career here. It is good stuff to listen to while your multi tasking.
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?...22&page=1&lv=1

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    You can get a couple of hours of Don Knotts being interviewed about his life and career here. It is good stuff to listen to while your multi tasking.
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?...22&page=1&lv=1
    Thanks much will check it out!!

This place is a gold mine for that sort of stuff. The great part is you can just open it up on another window and play the audio whilst doing other stuff...like posting here!
    http://tvinterviewsarchive.blogspot.com/

So enjoy!

Jaxxx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Even if you use Bon Ami, You cannot scrub him from my brain!!
    Laughing out loud...............and they used Bon Ami

Danny put it on Cartoon network, The Scooby Doo with Don Knotts is on!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Danny put it on Cartoon network, The Scooby Doo with Don Knotts is on!

I need to check it out. My daughter loves Scooby Doo. Let me go have a peek!!

Thanks!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post

That is a very good pic of him.... very handsome........ just wondering though................ does anyone know if he was ever married? If he ever slept with anyone big in Hollywood?

orionova Guest
    Interesting info I just heard recently. It seems that I am living next door to a house (now made into apartments) that don Knotts lived in along with his family when he was young. When the upstairs apartment was being refurbished recently, the tenant found when Don Knotts had carved his initials into one of the bedroom walls. He cut the board out, intending to seal it with varnish, but the wood just fell to dust.

If anyone wants to see pics, I can take some for you.

Oh, and yes, Don Knotts was married.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    Interesting info I just heard recently. It seems that I am living next door to a house (now made into apartments) that don Knotts lived in along with his family when he was young. When the upstairs apartment was being refurbished recently, the tenant found when Don Knotts had carved his initials into one of the bedroom walls. He cut the board out, intending to seal it with varnish, but the wood just fell to dust.

If anyone wants to see pics, I can take some for you.

Oh, and yes, Don Knotts was married.

thanks...... does anyone have any pics of his wife?

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZUSlqqfUxk

This is a tribute to Don Knotts called "Nip It In the Bud." It has clips from "The Andy Griffith Show" plus a cute song.

SusanCarole Guest
    While growing up, I heard many stories about Don Knotts. My grandmother talked about him in a very nonchalant way, kinda like he was no big deal, just a family friend. Well, come to find out, Mr. Knotts lived on the next street over from my grandmother (Morgantown, West Virginia). That is why she talked about him like he was just a family friend, because he was. My grandmother will be 97 next month and to ask her now about him would be pointless, she is not all there anymore, but I wish that I would have known about him when I was little and had known the connection.

Guest Guest
    Don Knotts had a very beautiful smile.

as Dan asked in the first post about "coming to terms" and tugboat noted how little his death was noted,it was hard to miss how little was said,Was it a form of mass denial? Everybody just refused to admit it ? Seeing a little of Barney in all of us,realizing we are not islands?

I don't want to over state the case i know Barney would say this is Big really BIG Andy,

but did something really big happen by not happening?

Blurgle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    as Dan asked in the first post about "coming to terms" and tugboat noted how little his death was noted,it was hard to miss how little was said,Was it a form of mass denial? Everybody just refused to admit it ? Seeing a little of Barney in all of us,realizing we are not islands?

I don't want to over state the case i know Barney would say this is Big really BIG Andy,

but did something really big happen by not happening?
    He died within 24 hours of two other TV actors, Dennis Weaver and Darren McGavin. I suspect that and the fact that the Winter Olympics were winding up pushed his death off the front pages.

Dennis Weaver was somewhat under appreciated. As big a deal as Gunsmoke was,the show became a shell of itself after Dennis left. And he did'nt get he coverage he deserved either,so i guess they diffused each other.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 08-31-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: i prefer the romantic,though.

i'm feeling a little more eccentric tonight than usual, and am seriously contemplating buying a don knotts autograph from ebay (authenticated of course). i was feeling a little sentimental about andy tonight after watching "waitin' on a woman" and began thinking about don. he was such a great talent.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

MoonRabbit Guest
    Don Knotts was such a cute guy! There will never be anyone like him!
    He was unique!

lobosco107 Guest
    He was a genius!

Jesse Donald Knotts (July 21, 1924 ?? February 24, 2006) was an American comedic actor best known for his portrayal of Barney Fife on the 1960s television sitcom The Andy Griffith Show (a role which earned him five Emmy Awards), and as landlord Ralph Furley on the television sitcom Three??s Company in the 1980s.

Early life
    Knotts was born in the university town of Morgantown, West Virginia, the son of Elsie L. (née Moore) and William Jesse Knotts. His father??s family had been in the United States since the 17th century, originally settling in Queen Anne??s County, Maryland.[1] His father had been a farmer, but suffered a nervous breakdown and lost his farm. The family (including Don??s two brothers) was supported by Don??s mother, who ran a boarding house in town.[2] Knotts?? father suffered from schizophrenia and alcoholism and died when Don was 13 years old. [3] Some time later, Knotts graduated from Morgantown High School.

At 19, Knotts was drafted into the Army and served during World War II as part of a traveling GI variety show and as a nurse, including in the Pacific Theater.[4]

Early roles
    After performing in many venues (including a ventriloquist act with a dummy named Hooch Matador), Knotts got his first major break on television in the soap opera Search for Tomorrow where he appeared from 1953 to 1955. He came to fame in 1956 on Steve Allen??s variety show, as part of Allen??s repertory company, most notably in Allen??s mock ??Man in the Street? interviews, always as a man extremely nervous. The laughs grew when Knotts stated his occupation -- always one that wouldn??t be appropriate for such a shaky person, such as a surgeon or explosives expert.

In 1958, Knotts appeared in the movie No Time for Sergeants alongside Andy Griffith. The movie, based on the play and book of the same name, began a professional and personal relationship between Knotts and Griffith that would last for decades.

Andy Griffith Show
    In 1960, when Griffith was offered the opportunity to headline in his own sitcom, The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968), Knotts took the role of Barney Fife, the deputy -- and originally cousin -- of Sheriff Andy Taylor (portrayed by Griffith). Knotts?? five seasons portraying the deputy on the popular show would earn him five Emmy Awards for Best Supporting Actor in a Television Comedy.

A summary of the show from the website of the Museum of Broadcast Communications describes Deputy Barney Fife: ??Self-important, romantic, and nearly always wrong, Barney dreamed of the day he could use the one bullet (which he kept in his shirt pocket) Andy had allowed him to be issued. While Barney was forever frustrated that Mayberry was too small for the delusional ideas he had of himself, viewers got the sense that he couldn??t have survived anywhere else. Don Knotts played the comic and pathetic sides of the character with equal aplomb and aploom.?

When the show first aired, Andy Griffith was intended to be the comedic lead with Don Knotts as his ??foil?, or straight man. But, it was quickly found that the show was funnier the other way around. As Griffith maintained in several interviews, "By the second episode, I knew that Don should be funny, and I should play straight". The years during which the two worked on the show cemented Griffith??s lifelong admiration for Don Knotts and their lifelong friendship.

Believing earlier remarks made by Griffith, that The Andy Griffith Show would soon be ending after five seasons, Knotts began to look for other work, and signed a five film contract with Universal Studios. He was caught off guard when Griffith announced he would be continuing with the show after all, but Knotts?? hands were tied (in his autobiography, Knotts admitted that he had not yet signed a contract when Griffith made his decision, but had made up his mind believing that he would not get this chance again). Knotts left the series in 1965. (Within the series, it was announced that Deputy Fife had finally made the ??big time?, and had joined the Raleigh, N.C. police force.)

lobosco107 Guest
    Post-Mayberry Roles
    Knotts went on to star in a series of film comedies which drew on his high-strung persona from the TV series: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963), The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964), The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966), The Reluctant Astronaut (1967), The Shakiest Gun in the West (1968), The Love God? (1969) and How to Frame a Figg (1971). Knotts would, however, return to the role of Barney Fife several times in the 1960s: he made five more guest appearances on The Andy Griffith Show (gaining him another two Emmys), and later appeared once more on the spin-off Mayberry RFD, where he was present as best man for the marriage of Andy Taylor and his longtime love, Helen Crump.

After making How to Frame a Figg, Knotts?? 5-film contract with Universal came to an end. He continued to work steadily, though he did not appear as a regular on any successful television series until his appearance on Three's Company in 1979. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Knotts served as the spokesman for Dodge trucks and was featured prominently in a series of print ads and dealer brochures.

On television, he went on to host an odd-variety show/sitcom hybrid on NBC, The Don Knotts Show, which aired Tuesdays during the fall of 1970, but the series was low-rated and short-lived. He also made frequent guest appearances on other shows such as The Bill Cosby Show and Here??s Lucy. In 1970, he would also make yet another appearance as Barney Fife, in the pilot of The New Andy Griffith Show. (This was particularly odd, as Andy Griffith did not play Sheriff Taylor in this series.) In 1972, Knotts would voice an animated version of himself in two memorable episodes of The New Scooby Doo Movies. He also appeared as Felix Unger in a stage version of Neil Simon??s The Odd Couple with Art Carney as Oscar Madison.

Beginning in 1975, Knotts was teamed with Tim Conway in a series of slapstick movies aimed at children, including the Disney film The Apple Dumpling Gang, and its 1979 sequel, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again. They also did two independent films, a boxing comedy called The Prize Fighter in 1979, and a comedy/mystery movie in 1981 called The Private Eyes. Knotts co-starred in several other Disney movies, including 1976's Gus, 1977's Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo and 1978's Hot Lead and Cold Feet.

Return to television
    In 1979, Knotts returned to series television in his second most identifiable role, landlord Ralph Furley on Three??s Company. The series, which was already an established hit, added Knotts to the cast when the original landlords, a married couple played by Audra Lindley and Norman Fell, left the show to star in a short-lived spin-off series (The Ropers). Though the role of the outlandish, overdressed, nerdy-geeky-buffoon landlord was originally intended to be a minor recurring character, Knotts was so funny and lovable as a character who fantasized that he was an incredibly attractive lothario, that the writers greatly expanded his role. On set, Knotts easily integrated himself to the already-established cast who were, as John Ritter put it, "so scared" of Knotts because of his star status when he joined the cast. When Suzanne Sommers left the show after a contract dispute in 1981, the writers starting giving the material meant for Sommers' Crissy, and gave it to Knotts' Furley. Knotts remained on the show until it ended in 1984. The Three??s Company script supervisor, Carol Summers, went on to be Knotts?? agent--often accompanying him to personal appearances.

In 1986, Don Knotts reunited with Andy Griffith in the 1986 made-for-television movie Return to Mayberry, where he reprised his role as Barney Fife yet again. In 1989, he joined Griffith in another show, playing a recurring role as pesky neighbor Les Calhoun on Matlock until 1992.

After his appearances on Matlock ended in 1992, Knotts?? roles became sporadic including a cameo in the 1996 film Big Bully as the principal of the high school. In 1998, Knotts had a small but pivotal[citation needed] role as a mysterious TV repairman in Pleasantville with Reese Witherspoon. That year, his home town of Morgantown, West Virginia, changed the name of the street formerly known as South University Ave (US 119, SR 73) to ??Don Knotts Boulevard? on ??Don Knotts Day?. Also that day, in a nod to Don??s role as Barney Fife, he was also named an honorary Deputy Sheriff with the Monongalia County Sheriff??s Department.

lobosco107 Guest
    Later years
    Knotts was recognized in 2000 with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    Though he continued to act on stage, much of his film and television work after 2000 was as voice talent. In 2002, he would appear again with Scooby-Doo in the video game Scooby-Doo: Night of 100 Frights (Knotts also sent up his appearances on that show in various promotions for Cartoon Network and in a parody on Robot Chicken, where he was teamed with Phyllis Diller).

In 2003, Knotts teamed up with Tim Conway again to provide voices for the direct-to-video children??s series, Hermie & Friends which would continue until his death. In 2005, he was the voice of Mayor Turkey Lurkey in Chicken Little (2005), his first Disney movie since 1979.

On September 12, 2003, Knotts was in Kansas City in a stage version of On Golden Pond when he received a call from John Ritter??s family telling him that his former Three's Company co-star had died of an aortic dissection that day. Knotts and his co-stars attended the funeral four days later. Knotts had appeared with Ritter one final time in a cameo on 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter. It was an episode that paid homage to their earlier TV series. Knotts was the last Three's Company star to work with Ritter.

During this period of time, macular degeneration in both eyes caused the otherwise robust Don Knotts to become virtually blind. His live appearances on television were few. In 2005, Knotts parodied his Ralph Furley character while playing a Paul Young variation in a Desperate Housewives sketch on The 3rd Annual TV Land Awards. He would parody that part one final time, in his last live-action television appearance, an episode of That ??70s Show, (??Stone Cold Crazy?). In the show Don played Fez and Jackie??s new landlord. Knotts' final role was in Air Buddies, the 2006 direct-to-video sequel to Air Bud, voicing the sheriff's deputy dog Sniffer.

Personal life
    The actor was married to college sweetheart Kathryn (Kay) Metz from 1947-64 and to Loralee Czuchna from 1974-83. He had two children from his first marriage, Karen and Thomas. He was married to actress Francey Yarborough at the time of his death.

Death
    Don Knotts died on February 24, 2006, at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, California from pulmonary and respiratory complications related to lung cancer. He had been undergoing treatment at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in the months before his death, but had gone home after he reportedly had been getting better.[5] Long-time friend Andy Griffith visited Knotts?? bedside a few hours before he died. His wife and his daughter stayed with him until his death.

Knotts?? obituaries cited him as a huge influence on other entertainers. Musician and fan J.D. Wilkes said this about Knotts: ??Only a genius like Knotts could make an anxiety-ridden, passive-aggressive Napoleon character like Fife a familiar, welcome friend each week. Without his awesome contributions to television there would??ve been no other over-the-top, self-deprecating acts like Conan O??Brien or Chris Farley.?[citation needed]

Knotts is buried at Westwood Memorial Park in Los Angeles.[6]
    His hometown of Morgantown, West Virginia, has begun creation of a statue of the actor's likeness that will be placed in a special memorial park along the river and Don Knotts Boulevard.[7][8]

best husband ever

just got an amazon package delivered to my office. the contents are a book called "the incredible mr. don knotts" and the entire "andy griffith show" box set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm so excited!! i loves my husband, he knows what i like.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Hagitha Guest
    That's a great gift, I love the Andy Griffith show, at least the episodes that had Barney in them! I loved Don Knotts.

orionova Guest
    Still no knowing when the statue of Don Knotts is going to be erected here. Here's a photo I took with my phone, instead. Morgantown's own 'walk of fame'.

simon69 Guest

Don Knotts

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by simon69 View Post

Simon, where is this wonderful plaque? At the cemetery?

crazedfemale Guest
    I wonder if that plaque is some sort of memorial at a park in Morgantown, WV (his hometown). Love the plaque, love Barney! RIP

orionova Guest
    There is a star in the sidewalk in front of the theatre for him, and there is supposed to be a statue of him being installed at a park. I have no idea where the plaque may be, though, unless they decided to go with a plaque instead of the statue. The sculptor is a local man, and very talented. He also did the statue of Jerry West that's located outside of the WVU coliseum.

I found this while doing a quick search. Stupid local paper that charges for you to read it online grumblegrumble.

http://todaysseniorsnetwork.com/don_knotts_papers.htm

49. 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
    Reason
    dangit!

Murphee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by simon69 View Post

I got this picture when I was at Westwood. What a nice tribute to the man.

Aww - love it. Lower left is from "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" a really cute and funny movie. I saw it as a kid at the drive-in with my family. It was the first movie I could love along with my parents. For weeks afterward, my Dad and I had the inside joke going..."Atta boy, Luther"
    Archer Fact: You can??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)