Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen

tensecondstolove Guest

Van Halen

I saw Van Halen the other day. Man oh man, are they still kicking ass. Eddie was awesome, as usual. Dave, ever the showman. And Wolfie, Eddie's 17-year-old son was awesome! It was sooo cool.

Any Van Halen fans in the house? And furthermore, are you seeing them on this tour? If not, get your tickets now!!! lol

RoRo Guest
    I dunno if I wanna see em this time around...I saw em back in the day and also the Van Hagar version...I don't know if they can live up to the early days

It's not actually "Van Halen" unless Michael Anthony is there. Wolfie doesn't count. JMO.

i wish I could afford the tix. How much did you pay?

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    It's not actually "Van Halen" unless Michael Anthony is there. Wolfie doesn't count. JMO.
    Here here! Standing ovation!

Michael Anthony is one of the founding members of VH and one of the nicest guys in Rock 'n Roll. I wouldn't cross the street to piss on EVH if he was on fire after what he did to Michael.

I like Michael too but he left to form "The Other Half" with Sammy Hagar.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tensecondstolove View Post
    I saw Van Halen the other day. Man oh man, are they still kicking ass. Eddie was awesome, as usual. Dave, ever the showman. And Wolfie, Eddie's 17-year-old son was awesome! It was sooo cool.

Any Van Halen fans in the house? And furthermore, are you seeing them on this tour? If not, get your tickets now!!! lol
    I have heard that Eddie's son is awesome.....and that he looks like his dad. Anyone seen a recent picture?

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I like Michael too but he left to form "The Other Half" with Sammy Hagar.
    Actually he left because he couldn't stand dealing with Eddie and his drinking anymore.

Altho I find that sort of strange, since Michael played a guitar with the Jack Daniels logo on it!

Danny62 Guest
    I never thought Eddie was that good. Technically yes he is AWESOME...I will give the guy credit there.

But the songs sound the same and Eddie doesn't play with any emotion as say Carlos Santana does!!!

I think a guitarest greatest asset is being able to put emotion into their playing and solos...just my opinon!!!

I'll never forget back in the mid-90's, hearing an interview with the band - this is when Gary Cheron was their new lead singer for a minute. Some fans were calling in the radio station to ask the band questions and giving their names. This one guy called himself "Little Dreamer" (after one of their songs), and I remember the guys sort of snickering at him after he gave his name and continued on with it while they were answering his question.

Can't say he deserved it. Come on...I mean...geez.

attackatdawn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    I have heard that Eddie's son is awesome.....and that he looks like his dad. Anyone seen a recent picture?
    Here is a link to some pictures: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...assist_1012654

MorbidMolly Guest
    Thanks for the link....he does look like his dad....but then he looks a like his mom too.....in fact I always found it odd how much Eddie and Valerie looked alike..........nope, I wouldn`t pay the prices their asking now without Michael in the band.....back in the day I paid 14 dollars for their first tour....I know, I know, I live in a time warp.....

cachluv Guest
    [SIZE=2]Seems like Michael Anthony is okay with not being w/ VH. I do think the feng shui is off, or maybe just too different, I dunno.[/SIZE]

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thanks For The support!!

First of all, I hope all of you are having a great Summer!! I want to thank everyone for all the support you're shown me during the past months. I'ts all been pretty crazy, and I just wanted to bring you all up to speed. Alot of you have been asking about the upcoming Van Halen tour and my response to it. It's not that I'm not touring with Van Halen because I'm going out with Sammy, I'm going out with Sammy because I was not invited to do the VH tour.
    Sammy told me that if I was asked to be part of the VH tour and decided to do it, it would be totally cool, and it would not tarnish our friendship in the least!! Well it's not to be, and life goes on. I'll still be out there with Sam, and I can't wait to do some partying with all of you. One last note from myself to all the Van Halen fans out there who will be attending their shows...Wolfgang is a great kid, so don't judge him too harshly. I'm sure he'll do just fine!!....See you all soon, Mike

[SIZE=4]http://madanthonyblog.blogspot.com/[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]P.S. A couple of weeks ago, Sammy Hagar turned 60. All I can say is "yikes". I don't mind other people growing older but they just keep dragging me with them....[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    [SIZE=2]Seems like Michael Anthony is okay with not being w/ VH. I do think the feng shui is off, or maybe just too different, I dunno.[/SIZE]

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thanks For The support!!

First of all, I hope all of you are having a great Summer!! I want to thank everyone for all the support you're shown me during the past months. I'ts all been pretty crazy, and I just wanted to bring you all up to speed. Alot of you have been asking about the upcoming Van Halen tour and my response to it. It's not that I'm not touring with Van Halen because I'm going out with Sammy, I'm going out with Sammy because I was not invited to do the VH tour.
    Sammy told me that if I was asked to be part of the VH tour and decided to do it, it would be totally cool, and it would not tarnish our friendship in the least!! Well it's not to be, and life goes on. I'll still be out there with Sam, and I can't wait to do some partying with all of you. One last note from myself to all the Van Halen fans out there who will be attending their shows...Wolfgang is a great kid, so don't judge him too harshly. I'm sure he'll do just fine!!....See you all soon, Mike

[SIZE=4]http://madanthonyblog.blogspot.com/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]P.S. A couple of weeks ago, Sammy Hagar turned 60. All I can say is "yikes". I don't mind other people growing older but they just keep dragging me with them....[/SIZE]
    That was pure class right there.

Kathyf Guest
    I saw Van Halen here in Illinois on October 16th. They were great! Eddie's son was great too. His brother never stopped plaing the drums for 2 hours straight. I saw them back in 78 and they were great then too. To me this is the real Van Halen. Haggar was only a replacement and never as good.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I LOVE Van Halen. now, let me clear this one up...VAN HALEN!!!!! NOT VAN HAGAR!!!!! if it's not with the Diamond man, then it's NOT Van Halen. sorry Sammy and Gary.

tensecondstolove Guest
    The tickets were expensive but wayyy worth it. And also, Michael Anthony made a big mistake. Personally, who cares if he wasn't there. He can't use the excuse that he couldn't stand Eddie's drinking because Eddie went to rehab over a year ago. He can side with Sammy all he wants---have fun making $300 a show playing for 30 people. And Wolfie rocked it--no one can say otherwise if they didn't actually see the show, imo.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    I LOVE Van Halen. now, let me clear this one up...VAN HALEN!!!!! NOT VAN HAGAR!!!!! if it's not with the Diamond man, then it's NOT Van Halen. sorry Sammy and Gary.
    LOL exactly!!! It's ALL about DLR. And ya know what? Most people don't really care if Michael is there or not. It's all about Dave and Eddie. That is what people paid to see.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    The tickets were expensive but wayyy worth it. And also, Michael Anthony made a big mistake. Personally, who cares if he wasn't there. He can't use the excuse that he couldn't stand Eddie's drinking because Eddie went to rehab over a year ago. He can side with Sammy all he wants---have fun making $300 a show playing for 30 people. And Wolfie rocked it--no one can say otherwise if they didn't actually see the show, imo.
    Actually if you look at the receipts, Sammy Hagar is one of the wealthiest rock stars year after year. He owns Cabo Wabo (the nightclub), 100% of Cabo Wabo (the tequila firm which he just sold to to Skyy Spirits for $$$), his own publishing company, and the rights to all his songs (plus 25% of the songs he wrote with Van Halen).

There was a great article in Forbes about how he had to take a pay cut when he was with Van Halen.

Oh, and Michael Anthony was not asked on the tour. That was Eddie's decision. And Eddie can go into rehab all he wants - he's still off the wagon.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    LOL exactly!!! It's ALL about DLR. And ya know what? Most people don't really care if Michael is there or not. It's all about Dave and Eddie. That is what people paid to see.
    I agree. for me, it's more about Dave than Eddie. but you can't have VH without Eddie. i'm just happy to see Dave and Eddie getting along. the footage I see on YouTube from the shows, man, it's like 1980 all over again. all smiles, no ego's. just flat out balls to the wall rock n roll. life is GOOD in '07.

JeffD Guest
    I've seen VH 3 times in various forms. As long as Eddie and Alex are there, the rest will rock.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    Actually if you look at the receipts, Sammy Hagar is one of the wealthiest rock stars year after year. He owns Cabo Wabo (the nightclub), 100% of Cabo Wabo (the tequila firm which he just sold to to Skyy Spirits for $$$), his own publishing company, and the rights to all his songs (plus 25% of the songs he wrote with Van Halen).

There was a great article in Forbes about how he had to take a pay cut when he was with Van Halen.

Oh, and Michael Anthony was not asked on the tour. That was Eddie's decision. And Eddie can go into rehab all he wants - he's still off the wagon.
    Ummm hate to break it to ya, Sammy may be wealthy--no one is disputing that--but the fact is a solo Sammy Hagar show would never in a million years sell out Madison Square Garden. People don't pay over $100 a ticket to see Sammy Hagar play "Mas Tequila"...I can see you're one of those Van Hagar folks...it's ok though...it's all about Dave.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I like Van Halen (I'm a Dave guy and not a Sammy although Sammy seems like a good guy).
    I have no plans to go see them but he concert reviews have been really positive. It seems like this tour was a good idea and a musical success.
    Rumors have it that there may be a new cd in the future as well sometime.

Noelle Page Guest
    Saw VH the other night, they ROCKED! Seeing Eddie play was a real privillege. Wolfie did fine, and is kinda cute. Good move, bring in some young blood to keep the family business going. I did miss Dave and Eddie's long hair, but think it was probably a good move to cut it.
    Still find Val and Eddie the oddest couple....cute together though

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Saw VH the other night, they ROCKED! Seeing Eddie play was a real privillege. Wolfie did fine, and is kinda cute. Good move, bring in some young blood to keep the family business going. I did miss Dave and Eddie's long hair, but think it was probably a good move to cut it.
    Still find Val and Eddie the oddest couple....cute together though
    You are aware that they are no longer a couple ?? right ??

Noelle Page Guest
    Yeah. But they were together 20 years.

leevancleef Guest
    Hes great.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Hes great.
    He really is.....a true master.....and incredible charisma still.

Real sweet father-son vibe too!

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200708/r168055_627020.jpg
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 12-17-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Noelle Page Guest
    Wow, I was the last poster eight months ago! Well, I'm back, listening to "Everybody Wants Some!" LOVE VH! What's so great about Eddie is he plays like a teenage boy wants to sound!

Forever-27 Guest
    Eddie needs to retire before it kills him , hes not doing so well. I remember seeing Van halen in 1983 during the 1984 tour and they were friggin awsome. Since Michael wasnt with them this time, I didnt want to go, its all or none with me.

Never liked hagar. Hes good solo but with VH he was horrible. Then there was the guy from extream as the singer, geeze this band sold out 80,000 seat stadiums and with him, they couldnt sell tickets at the local county fair. Dave made the show at the VH concert.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Eddie needs to retire before it kills him , hes not doing so well. I remember seeing Van halen in 1983 during the 1984 tour and they were friggin awsome. Since Michael wasnt with them this time, I didnt want to go, its all or none with me.

Never liked hagar. Hes good solo but with VH he was horrible. Then there was the guy from extream as the singer, geeze this band sold out 80,000 seat stadiums and with him, they couldnt sell tickets at the local county fair. Dave made the show at the VH concert.
    The latest tour got consistently strong reviews. They must be doing something right.

Zombiegirl Guest
    I didn't much care for Van Halen either when they were Hagarized. It just isn't Van Halen without the David.

siameseman Guest
    Anyone know what the mystery illness was that Eddie recently had? For a few months or more Van Halen cancelled a bunch of their concerts because Eddie was not well but I never heard what was wrong. Maybe it was the alcohol again. He really needs to give up that stuff.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    I didn't much care for Van Halen either when they were Hagarized. It just isn't Van Halen without the David.
    ITA> I saw them twice back in the day with David and it was a great show. Now it's just a couple of old dudes and their kid....
    Wanna see my grandkids?

bunny Guest
    OHHH Dave my first CRUSH...I love him hhah MARRY ME DAVE I will leave my husband hahahahh

laynesgrl Guest

rickenbacker Guest
    Man, I hope he's happy. I still love the guy, even though he killed my budding music career, LOL! I thought I was a decent axe-slinger, until I heard the first VH album.

TallulahDahling Guest

Close your eyes and let's go back............

to 1983.........David Lee Roth...spandex....long blonde hair....doing a backbend while howling to "Running With the Devil........."

ahhh yesssss bye bye virginity..........

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laynesgrl View Post

Good for him. Kinda cool that Valerie was there.

He was born in the Netherlands?

As far as Van Halen, I remember staying up to watch "Friday Night Videos" just to watch David Lee Roth jump off the stage in the "Jump" video - hubba hubba! Also love "Happy Trails" and "Ice Cream Man". Classic!

Bidmor Guest
    Think what you will about the band and Eddie and Wolfie, but I've had the hots for Valerie since "One Day At A Time"...ranks right up there with Natalie Wood in beauty and seems to be a level headed woman.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Think what you will about the band and Eddie and Wolfie, but I've had the hots for Valerie since "One Day At A Time"...ranks right up there with Natalie Wood in beauty and seems to be a level headed woman.
    My husband loves her, too. I think she's prettier now than ever!

Loves me some Van Halen!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

laynesgrl Guest
    David Lee Roth always got on my nerves. Killer voice, especially on the first VH album, but he was always primping and posing, just made me sick!!! I would much rather have Sammy Hagar anyday!! My hubby disagrees with me though.

Eddie was my hero of heroes for years, though he's fell out of grace with me with his dissing Michael Anthony etc. (Chickenfoot with Sammy Hagar and Michael are coming to town in September, I got my tickets!). The man's impact on rock guitar is legendary IMO. As for Valerie, I too have always had the hots for that girl. What a lip smacking delicious babe.

TallulahDahling Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laynesgrl View Post
    David Lee Roth always got on my nerves. Killer voice, especially on the first VH album, but he was always primping and posing, just made me sick!!! I would much rather have Sammy Hagar anyday!! My hubby disagrees with me though.

BLASPHEMER!!!! You now will be stoned to death!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hlMK7tCks

laynesgrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    BLASPHEMER!!!! You now will be stoned to death!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hlMK7tCks
    OOps!!!

Both DLR and Sammy had their own unique styles...all I can say is their music is the soundtrack to a whole lot of great memories growing up. 1984 pretty much played continuously from 1983-1986 and almost every song on the album was solid whether it was a single or not...I love these guys but the past few soap operas have been more than a little nerve wracking...it would be awesome to see them bury all the hatchets and just play some more hard rocking music again!

Van Halen I was such a revolutionary album for me that I've purchased it in vinyl, 8-track, CD, and remastered CD. I still get fired up when I hear those horns blaring!

laynesgrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydrvr7 View Post
    Both DLR and Sammy had their own unique styles...all I can say is their music is the soundtrack to a whole lot of great memories growing up. 1984 pretty much played continuously from 1983-1986 and almost every song on the album was solid whether it was a single or not...I love these guys but the past few soap operas have been more than a little nerve wracking...it would be awesome to see them bury all the hatchets and just play some more hard rocking music again!
    I totally agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Van Halen I was such a revolutionary album for me that I've purchased it in vinyl, 8-track, CD, and remastered CD. I still get fired up when I hear those horns blaring!
    Me too,Barbossa!!!!

WriterDude Guest
    I've come to the opinion, after all these years, that Van Halen's two best albums were not the first two, but the two first... each of the first that they did with each of their first two singers.

After that, my personal top five tends to flesh out more on the Dave side.