Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diane Downs

Diane Downs

If there is another thread, my apologies, but I did do a search. If it is out there, please let me know and I will send to the merge thread.

Anywho, I found this website: http://www.dianedowns.com/

It is Diane's fathers theories on why Diane IS NOT the shooter...

Hmmmm....

I still don't buy it......but informative nonetheless

Not the 'Bushy haired stranger' again?!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Yet another Diane is innocent site

http://www.oregontrial.org.uk/

KristinEileen Guest
    Too funny...I read the book Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule and there is no one in the world that could tell me that Diane Downs did not kill her youngest girl and seriously injure her other two children! If her daughter calling her out on the stand wasn't enough I don't know what is. Her father is BLIND to the truth...I can't believe he would even say that she didn't do it...does he not believe his grandchild when she says "Mommy shot me..."? Ugh some people!

Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    Too funny...I read the book Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule and there is no one in the world that could tell me that Diane Downs did not kill her youngest girl and seriously injure her other two children! If her daughter calling her out on the stand wasn't enough I don't know what is. Her father is BLIND to the truth...I can't believe he would even say that she didn't do it...does he not believe his grandchild when she says "Mommy shot me..."? Ugh some people!
    I read it too, years ago, when it first came out...I am gonna order it now on Amazon and read again.

But, yes, you are right, when your own child points you out.....that is enuff for me.

Auntie Vi Guest
    rats, I thought she had died

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Vi View Post

Sorry, lol

I put it in other deaths cause it is a discussion on her kids deaths..... maybe I should have it moved

cubbiecatz Guest
    I have a copy of Small Sacrifices. I recently watched an old episode of Oprah where she had Diane and Ann Rule on her show. Got that lady is crazy, going on with her theory of the stranger.

What is amazing is that the Prosecuting Attorney on her case is the man who adopted her two surviving children. Last I heard, they were doing well.

Apears to have been built by a nutter. Even has a Bible verse. Never seen anything like it. Diowns did it. Didn't her surviving kids say it was her? Some grandpa.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

suicide_blonde Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Vi View Post
    Yeah, no doubt! She needs to be worm food. Despicable excuse for a carbon-based life form (I can't call her a human being).

GODDESS6 Guest
    i always found it funny that farrah fawcett played diane in the movie~ i just read "small sacrifices", seeing as i have watched the movie over & over & started looking more into the case & diane was not all that she thought she was~ farrah has a gift playing parts like these tho, "small sacrifices", "extremeties" & the "burning bed" were great~

i never doubted diane's guilt at all tho~ it was a horrid thing she did to her kids~

I just don't understand how her father can dispute her kid's testimony on the stand........he says the prosecution brainwashed the kid

Auntie Vi Guest
    I think Diane Downs looks like John Lithgow (sorry, John Lithgow, nothing personal)

Ha Ha Ha She does look like John Lithgow in drag. Esp. when he was in The World According to Garp.

OMG I'm dyin' here..... separated at birth, I tell ya.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Does anyone else here recall Lithgow's role in "The World According to Garp"? I agree that Ms. Downs looks like she might have once played for the Philadelphia Eagles.
    If her own child said "mom shot me", that's good enough for me. She is where she needs to be.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Shit, I got all excited, thought Karma finally caught up with her.

Jazbabee Guest
    I just couldn't resist......

Auntie Vi Guest
    Actually John makes a better looking woman. Remember how she was supposed to be so beautiful they called her "Princess Di"...........RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT (Dr Evil voice)

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    I just couldn't resist......

omg, the look so much alike~

I don't think they look much alike, but Diane is one butt-ugly woman...yikes.

Auntie Vi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

maybe this is more what we mean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JohnLithgow(DKambouris).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	7989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DianeDownsphoto.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	7990  

Black Angel Guest
    She looks like Camilla to me. Fugly, Fugly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

Hahaha I couldn't agree more. My mom said that her and my dad were watching tv and it came on and my dad said that she did it before it even came out she was guilty. i've actually been on the road where she shot her kids. They never found the gun. I think her dad helped her get rid of evidence. JMO

Martini M. Guest
    What's funny is during her trial she said her dad had sexually abused her for years. Now he's her biggest defender? Nutty family.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini M. View Post
    What's funny is during her trial she said her dad had sexually abused her for years. Now he's her biggest defender? Nutty family.
    Ha the only reason she probably said that was to get sympathy out of the jurors.

Lisamarie Guest
    Susan Smith pulled the same shit.

silverwaif77 Guest
    I read small sacrifices years ago, and if I remember correctly, it took a long time before the daughter finally broke down and admitted it was her mother. That has got to be really scary for a child to witness, survive and process. I hope you have fun in hell Diane, with your roommates susan smith and andrea yates.

steph81202 Guest
    Apparently she is getting a parole hearing soon. I read this book many years ago. I did not know that she had escaped at one point.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/27830214.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Susan Smith pulled the same shit.

Susan actually WILLINGLY had an affair with her stepfather....GROSS GROSS GROSS

^It was still statutory rape if she was underage at the time though, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by betsy View Post
    ^It was still statutory rape if she was underage at the time though, correct?
    I think the affair began when she was underage, but continued into her marriage to David

The "ickiest" part of Small Sacrifices was when it was pointed out that there were vaginal secretions on the neck of a whiskey bottle in her car. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    The "ickiest" part of Small Sacrifices was when it was pointed out that there were vaginal secretions on the neck of a whiskey bottle in her car. Yuck.

Hers? Please god tell me hers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I guess her boyfriend at the post office wasn't available that night...

She's horsey looking. And I agree, she looks more like Camille Parker Bowles.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

bunny Guest
    ya she sure is a mutt...

I wonder how her two kids are doing in life...I hope they are happy and OK...

lab_rat Guest
    That's gross!

Yeah, hers. It was on her postal boyfriend's favorite whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by steph81202 View Post
    Apparently she is getting a parole hearing soon. I read this book many years ago. I did not know that she had escaped at one point.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/27830214.html

Yup I couldnt remember how long she was out before they caught here so I looked it up.

[SIZE=4]On July 11, 1987 -- three years after she was sentenced -- Downs pulled off a daring escape from the Oregon Women' s Correctional Center in Salem. Authorities said she scaled two, 18-foot fences surrounding the prison, climbed under a pick-up truck, and waited several minutes before calmly walking away. Prison officials later said they believe Downs wore several layers of clothing to avoid puncture wounds from the barbed wire atop the fences. A tattered striped shirt was found under the pick-up truck where Downs reportedly hid after scaling the prison fences.

An alarm hooked to the outside fence rang briefly at 8:40 a.m. that morning, but prison officials didn't think anything of it, saying the sensitive alarm went off accidentally at least once a day due to anything from a strong wind to a bird. However, when a nurse arriving at the prison 15 minutes later reported seeing a suspicious woman climb out from under a pickup truck and walk away, saying she believed the woman was Diane Downs, prison guards did a quick emergency roll call and discovered Downs missing.

A massive search of the Salem area was launched. Ironically, Downs, wearing civilian-type clothing, was picked up hitchhiking, virtually right across the street from the women's prison and adjacent to Division 2 headquarters of the Oregon State Police. The unwitting couple that picked up Downs drove her to the site of a restaurant at State and 24th streets, three blocks from the prison, where Downs got out.

The couple would later tell authorities Downs said she needed to get to a phone quickly because her boyfriend had just been injured in an automobile accident.

Downs' escape triggered a multi-state search which surprisingly ended 10 days later back in Salem -- less than a half mile from the prison. Indentations on a piece of paper found in Downs' cell were analyzed by the FBI. Using an electrostatic process, the FBI was able to enhance the indentations on the paper, which included an address of a house and a map showing its location.

Oregon State Police conducted a driveby surveillance of the run-down house for two days. Then, state and local police served a search warrant on the house and found Downs and four men inside. The four men were charged with hindering prosecution.

In November, 1987, Downs was transferred to the Correctional Institution for Women, in Clinton, N.J., a maximum security prison. In exchange, Oregon prison officials agreed to take two New Jersey criminals.

Downs made news again in September, 1991, when Marion County Circuit Judge Duane R. Erstgaard denied her request for a new trial. Erstgaard wrote his decision in a letter to Downs' attorneys, saying she was adequately represented by lawyers in her trial and appeal. The Oregon Court of Appeals upheld her convictions in February, 1987.

But Elizabeth Diane Downs, whose story was the subject of at least two novels and a made-for-television movie, continues to maintain her innocence in her never-ending efforts to overturn her 1984 convictions from her new home -- the Washington State Women's Correctional Institute in Gig Harbor, Wash.
    [/SIZE]

I found a mugshot picture of her as well

And I thought the other picture i seen of her was bad

Noelle Page Guest
    In "Small Sacrifices," didn't it say that "Hungry Like a Wolf" was playing when she did it or something like that? cant recall exactly, In any case, I always think of her when I hear the song, unpleasant association.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    In "Small Sacrifices," didn't it say that "Hungry Like a Wolf" was playing when she did it or something like that? cant recall exactly, In any case, I always think of her when I hear the song, unpleasant association.

i remember in the movie, they played it in court...she was sitting at the defense table jamming to it

Auntie Vi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    I think of her when I hear that song too, They played it the court room at her trial and she was tapping the table like a drum and swaying to it. IN COURT!!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Jinx!

Wonder how those two kids are doing, that were adopted by--the cop, was it?

Danny was in a wheelchair I think!

Auntie Vi Guest
    I think the one who testified against her was married a couple of years ago.

Noelle Page Guest
    Well, I hope they have both had plenty of love and therapy, poor things.

Elizabeth Guest

Diane Downs

If I remember correctly, she had some sort of obsession with being pregnant--she was even a surrogate at one point, and when she was arrested for the death of her daughter she was pregnant, and that was when she was dubbed "Princess Di", as she had blonde hair and looked softer then....she is normally such a sharp, angular looking woman.....and it looks like the years have not been kind to Diane....

I agree, she was never a raving beauty, but the years have definitely NOT been kind to her...

Re her kids, this is from Ann Rule's website, where she has updates on the subjects of her books. Looks like this is probably about 3 years old, since Diane is now 53:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Diane Downs, who turned 50 in August, remains in the Valley Prison for Women in Chowchilla, California. Her first hope of a parole hearing is four years away. Adopted by Lane County Prosecutor Fred Hugi and his wife, Joanne, in 1984, Christie and Danny--who somehow survived their gunshot wounds--, have no contact with Diane. They have both graduated from college. Christie is married and had a baby boy in 2005. Danny, a computer whiz, is still partially paralyzed from the bullet in his back, but he is living a happy and normal life. They have grown up in a very happy home with the Hugis.

I heard recently from a young woman who insists she is the daughter Diane gave birth to a month after her 1984 trial, the baby who was adopted soon after. Thus far, she has offered no proof that she is who she claims to be. Danny's biological father, the man Diane selected because she thought he had "good genes," still lives in Arizona and has a family. His youngest son looks just like Danny did at the same age. Diane still insists that she and her children were shot by a "bushy haired stranger."

For some reason, a person in Europe has established a website espousing her innocence. The site is full of misinformation, apparently fed to him by Diane herself. Among other things, the site claims that Diane never talked to me in person or wrote to me. That is totally false. Not only did we talk on the Oprah show, but I visited Diane in jail in Eugene, Oregon, and I still have letters she sent me.