Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons

Milhouse: The Quiz

http://mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=413
    I got 75%. I'm disappointed in myself.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

DeadRinger Guest
    83%. I don't know whether to feel elated or embarrassed.

Armcast Guest
    67% for me...I know I can do better if I only apply myself...

Maybe we should all eat more.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Armcast Guest
    I'll take Repressitol and this memory will be blocked out...

um, ok, I thought it would be about Nixon. I didn't even try...

halogirl5 Guest
    83 baby! Well.. my Mom says Im cool

Martini M. Guest
    66%....but my dad is a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory.

MorbidMolly Guest
    25 %.........LMAOOOOOOO......I haven`t watched the Simpsons in years..........

smellslikealmonds Guest
    58%
    I'm very disappointed in myself.

**Jenna** Guest
    25%, i know squat about that cartoon,i've watched it apparently i haven't paid enough attention.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    http://mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=413
    I got 75%. I'm disappointed in myself.
    roflmao here..I scored 60 and have never watched the show

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    60% I don't get to watch as much as I would like to...I hate being an adult...

Kugmu Guest
    75%
    Guessed on about half of â??em

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    25 %.........LMAOOOOOOO......I haven`t watched the Simpsons in years..........
    25% here too... I haven't seen the Simpsons in I don't know how long!

yeah, I blew this one, but did very well on the "Disney gone blue?" one. Apparently I'm very good at grasping subliminal, dirty, disgusting things in Disney flicks. I'm kinda proud of myself.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    yeah, I blew this one, but did very well on the "Disney gone blue?" one. Apparently I'm very good at grasping subliminal, dirty, disgusting things in Disney flicks. I'm kinda proud of myself.
    Ooh! Link, please!

if this doesn't take you to it, scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll find a big list of quizzes here!

http://mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php

Waltham Abbey in Essex & Filey In Yorkshire UK
    58%
    Too much time on my hands today!

the oppertunity to advertise a remedy for erectile dysfunction as soon as possible made me laugh

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    LOL, I got 90% on that one!

John Connor Guest
    33%. Pretty bad.

dovescry1999 Guest
    75%...

AaronVail Guest

The Simpsons

I have never, ever laughed whilst watching an episode of the Simpsons. I don't find it funny and I don't see why anyone else would find it funny. I know it's been on the air for a million years, has writers who went to Harvard, has won Emmys, Annies and Peabodys and is referenced in practically every Wikipedia article because it makes reference to everything, but I just don't find it funny at all. It's kinda like M*A*S*H*, another "hilarious!" show I've never laughed at.

I love Family Guy and I think it's brilliant.

Anyone else feel this way?

puddles Guest
    actually I feel just the opposite, I LOVE the Simpsons and laugh out loud to a LOT of their episodes and when it comes to Family Guy I stare at the screen without even a smirk???? It's cool though, everyone has different tastes.

John Connor Guest
    I haven't seen The Simpsons in awhile but I think the show is a classic and the humour is so bang on funny. Every character is great and unique.
    Family Guy is very hit and miss. It lacks the subtle touch of The Simpsons. Sometimes it's funny but alot of jokes fall flat. I like American Dad better.

I also love King of the Hill.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    I like Family Guy better. King of the Hill is better too.

Snudgie Guest
    I adore The Simpsons...always have...always will......D'oh!! xx

Ken Guest
    I love the very early episodes of the Simpsons. But the later the season get the less relevant they become to me.

I'm with you though, I totally dig Family Guy!!

<Giggity!!>
    Last edited by Ken; 09-12-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Old Soul Guest
    I am a simpsons, family guy, american dad, DARIA, futurama & king of the hill lover, i love cartoons and i go between them and documentarys as my fav things to watch

bunny Guest
    I even have a talking Krusty doll...and a Mr Burns tattoo hehehh

deathybrad Guest
    I have never felt that the Simpson's was LOL funny. I still watch it quite a bit though.

pvezz Guest
    "Family Guy" is freaking BRILLIANT; I just discovered it last year and DVR all of the reruns. I was never a Simpsons fan.

halogirl5 Guest
    First of all you can have a kiss on the virtual lips for being brave enough to say that. The reason I watch the simpsons is not cos it's hilarious ie Chris Rock or Eddie Izzard belly laughs but it's witty though and it's got so much heart and soul. It is the only cartoon apart from South Park that's made me care. I know that sounds mad. The South Park thing especially I mean. Family Guy is really witty but I love animated shows for their ability to talk about society and the way that they get away with things that you couldn't do with real people. i am biased by the fact these things were part of my growing up; South Park started when I was about 15 and the Simpsons when I was about eight or nine. For a long while only the 'middle class' kids knew about it cos they could afford Sky. American Dad is SHITE; King of the Hill is cute. Absolutely love the characters. Our comedy programmes and satirical landscape have been enriched by animation; it's such a gift.

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronVail View Post
    I have never, ever laughed whilst watching an episode of the Simpsons. I don't find it funny and I don't see why anyone else would find it funny. I know it's been on the air for a million years, has writers who went to Harvard, has won Emmys, Annies and Peabodys and is referenced in practically every Wikipedia article because it makes reference to everything, but I just don't find it funny at all. It's kinda like M*A*S*H*, another "hilarious!" show I've never laughed at.

I love Family Guy and I think it's brilliant.

Anyone else feel this way?
    I have never laughed at The Simpsons either. It does nothing for me. My boyfriend loves that show and he never ceases to try to get me to chuckle at it. Not happening.

I love, LOVE, "Venture Brothers," though.

Quote Originally Posted by puddles View Post
    actually I feel just the opposite, I LOVE the Simpsons and laugh out loud to a LOT of their episodes and when it comes to Family Guy I stare at the screen without even a smirk???? It's cool though, everyone has different tastes.

Me too! I like Family Guy ok, but i don't get it compared to Simpson's. They are awesome!

I like them both.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I watched the Simpsons for many years, but guess I lost interest.......now, Family Guy is freaking hilarious.........

Forever-27 Guest
    I love the simpsons .... have since they went on the air in 1987. I still watch it every sunday as I have always done.

family guy is great. Fox made a bad choice leaving the show in limbo for 2 years, then bringing it back due to the popularity it has on Adult Swim

molsonsmells:) Guest
    i like the older ones better from like 2000, now their just getting a little boring
    still a good show tho,
    DOHH !

I love The Simpsons, and I never miss Family Guy! American Dad is OK, and I turn the channel when King of the Hill comes on. I sort of liked King of the Hill when it first came out, but now cannot stand it.

Where I live, Family Guy is on between 1100 PM and 1230 AM Monday through Thursday between 2 channels. That is prime time TV for me if I am home.

Love: The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, ATHF, Venture Bros, Robot Chicken.

Like: King of the Hill, American Dad, Oblongs

Miss: Duckman (How did that show not become a hit?)

Snoopy Guest
    Mmmmmm..Donuts....

laynesgrl Guest

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Mmmmmm..Donuts....

mmmm...purple.

The only thing that really bothers me alot is that she'll only be partially nude and from the side.
    What kind of shit is that? Must everything be left to all mens perverted imaginations?
    I will buy it, I will make a batch of Tapioca but I will curse the name of Hef for not bargaining better with Marge so she did show more skin.
    BTW Marge doesn't have tattoos or piercings does she?
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

ChiFan27 Guest
    I watch every episode of Family Guy, Southpark and Simpsons. I laugh at all of them. The one I laugh at the most is Southpark. What they get away with is amazing. Cartman is one of the best cartoon characters ever.

I really wish they would do a spread on Lois from Family Guy.
    I like the way her boobies jiggle and frankly I think she'd show more.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Mmmmmm..Donuts....
    Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    mmmm...purple.
    Mmmmm...something.

If you wanna see cartoon characters naked theres plenty of websites out there for that. They are fucking hilarious. Too bad I cant post some links.

John Connor Guest
    By Bill Brioux, The Canadian Press

Bart Simpson once wrote the following on a chalkboard: "I will not celebrate meaningless milestones."

Sunday, "The Simpsons" celebrates two of them, except, in TV terms, they're not meaningless at all: 20 years as a series and 450 episodes.

Fox and Global mark the occasion Sunday at 8 p.m. EST with episode No. 450, "Once Upon a Time in Springfield," which finds Krusty the Clown having to make room for a pretty young sidekick on his failing kids show. That's followed by the hour-long documentary, "The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special. In 3-D! On Ice!"

You won't need special glasses because it's not really in 3-D (or on ice). The hour is written and directed by documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock ("Super Size Me"), who was 19 when the series premiered in January of 1990. "I was a freshman in college," Spurlock told critics on a conference call late last month. He had actually discovered Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie a few years before, when the cartoon clan appeared in minute-long, animated shorts as part of "The Tracey Ullman Show." Raised in California, Spurlock had grown up a fan of British comedies like "Monty Python" and "Fawlty Towers" and was looking forward to British comedienne Ullman's show when it premiered on the new Fox network in 1987. By the time he got to college and "The Simpsons" had been spun off as its own series, he was already a die-hard fan. "I was blown away by it from the beginning," he says, "It was so smart, it was so different, and I think, for me, it was like the first show that I'd ever seen in America that was like a British show."

Maybe that was because the creator of the comic strip which led to "The Simpsons," Matt Groening, was also a "Python" fan. Groening originally hails from Portland, Ore., and based much of Springfield on his memories of growing up in that West Coast city. Several characters on the show owe their names to street names in Portland.

As the special explains, Groening based the Simpsons on his own clan, coming up with the concept after executive producer Jim Brooks - then and now one of TV's most revered producers - asked him to develop a series based on Groening's "Life in Hell" comic strip. One of the places that underground strip broke into the mainstream was in Toronto, when Now magazine became one of the first newspapers in North America to run it. Groening still has fond memories of Toronto as a result.
    Spurlock was hand-picked by Groening, Brooks and Simpsons' executive producer Al Jean to helm the documentary because they wanted his independent, irreverent take on their series. Spurlock figures he and Groening share a cynical edge. "I think that we question a lot of things that are out there."

Spurlock didn't disappoint the producers, visiting some of the show's harshest critics in the hour, including officials at the Catholic League, who have complained about many snide references. "I think one of the things that people forget about 'The Simpsons' is that, over the years, and especially in the beginning, it was seen as an incredibly controversial show," says Spurlock. "Today there are shows that really push the push the envelope even more than they do - from 'Family Guy' to 'South Park' - but it's a show that I think really made people laugh and made people think from the beginning."

Besides sitting down with Conan O'Brien, an early writer/producer on "The Simpsons," Spurlock mixes interviews with celebrities as diverse as John Waters, Sting, Moby (who does a "Mr. Plow" remix!), Norah Jones and Jerry Springer in the hour. "Who better to talk about a dysfunctional family than Jerry Springer?" asks Spurlock. Springer, a former mayor of Cincinnati, also confesses some sympathy for Springfield's seedy city hall boss, Mayor Quimby. Also taking part are most of the voice cast, including Dan Castellaneta (Homer), Julie Kavner (Marge), Nancy Cartwright (Bart), Yeardley Smith (Lisa) and Hank Azaria (Apu, Wiggums, Moe and many others).

Spurlock also took his cameras to Europe where he found some of the most devoted "Simpsons" fans. "For me, I think one of the most surprising things about the show is literally how beloved the show is outside of America," he says. The series is now the longest-running comedy in television history. This season, it tied "Gunsmoke" and "The Red Skelton Show" for most consecutive seasons of a scripted series. It will pass both those shows next year, although it still has a ways to go to catch up with the 600 episodes of "Gunsmoke," produced when TV seasons ran as many as 10 to 15 episodes longer.
    Not everyone around the world loves "The Simpsons." Spurlock travelled to Brazil, where he found some of the locals didn't care for the way their country was once represented. (Canada has been dissed, too, referred to once as "America Junior.") Then again, he travelled to Scotland, and found both Glasgow and Aberdeen fighting over who claims groundskeeper Willie.

As Spurlock points out, at any time of the day on Planet Earth, "The Simpsons" is playing. "I think that's the thing that I was really blown away by," he says. "It's not just a cultural phenomenon in America, but it is this global phenomenon that has just really transcended our borders."