Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Serial Killers

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Is it just me, or is John Ramsey kind of hot?

donetodeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Cat View Post
    I've read a lot about Ivan millat in the past (scary bloke)
    I'm glad my Mum & Dad wouldn't let me go back packing back in the 70's when i was supposed to be on a "Gap" year (the gap was so long I'm still on it!!)
    Very scary Harry!
    He had a pretty fucked up life though,His parents use to slaughter cows or pigs in the back of their store,and he and all his brothers and sister(not sure how many sisters they had)grew up seeing this.He also had a daughter to the girlfriend of one of his brothers.

p
    Last edited by charlesmansonsbabygirl; 03-09-2010 at 05:06 PM.
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

lisalouver Guest
    I found the Son of Sam case interesting, but I think that was just my facination with the 1970's, lol.

Also, I remember reading in the paper in March of 2004 about the newspaper in Witchita getting the drivers liscence of one of BTK's victims along with his letter. I was facinated. Not necessarily because he was a serial killer, but more because he was still alive after all these years and was begging to get caught.

TDennis Radar was/is off his nut. I read the book that came out in 2004, the one that pissed him off enough to bring him back out. Had that book not be written, he would still be out there, getting away with it. And his wife and children would never have been the wiser.

GrinReaper Guest

A question about serial killers

What is it that makes certain murders more famous than others?
    Like Charles Manson and Ted Bundy. There are other solved crimes which are far far worse in terms of body counts and grislyness. (If that's even a word?)

So what makes those two household names and yet I can read about someone else and forget the name minutes later?
    Why are Manson and Bundy talked about more than other infamous heinous crimes?

Charlie is damned photogenic. Perhaps thats why.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

panda Guest
    I would say Manson because the victims were famous. Bundy maybe because he fooled so many people.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    very good question...............

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Charlie is damned photogenic. Perhaps thats why.

lol
    Last edited by charlesmansonsbabygirl; 03-09-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

RLR12 Guest
    I agree with what everyone has said so far. Manson was behind the deaths of celebrities and furthermore he got a bunch of brainwashed fools to do the killing for him. He himself never actually killed anyone. Apparently he is extremely charismatic and fanatical. I looked him up on wikipedia and read about his life. It is no wonder he is a freakin' lunatic. He had a horrific childhood (not making excuses for the guy). For example, his drunk of a mother once sold him for a pitcher of beer.

Ted Bundy I think because like someone else said, he fooled a lot of people. He had that whole "young Republican" thing going on, volunteering to work the campaigns of politicians, volunteering at a crisis center hotline (that is where Ann Rule first met him). He went to law school and appeared to have a very bright future. He also escaped from the authorities twice in Colorado. The second time he escaped is when he made his way to Florida and killed the two girls in the Chi Omega house in Tallahassee and the 12-year old girl, Kimberly Leach.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I think their victims have as much to do with as anything else. Young innocent girls or just the sheer number of deaths. Bundy was charismatic, Manson too.

bluebear71 Guest
    Sometimes it seems like it depends on how much is going on in other areas of the news as to how much attention a story gets, and once a killing like that gets attention, it just seems to take on a life of its own (kinda like the Engelbert thread).

RaRaRamona Guest
    Ha! Very very true.

bluebear71 Guest
    I know I for one become instantly transfixed once I here of a serial murderer operating somewhere. I don't enjoy the pain and suffering they cause, I guess its just the Death Hag part of me that can't help but be fascinated by all the details, no matter how horrible they are.

Flowergrrl Guest
    I don't know because my favorites are Jack the Ripper and Dahmer.

magblax Guest
    Manson was made an example of...and he was a psycho nutjob that killed celebrities. Bundy wasn't the "average" killer. Educated and nice looking...Gacy did the clown thing. The Ripper was never caught. Some just have more of a mystique than others I guess. Interesting question.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Manson was made an example of...and he was a psycho nutjob that killed celebrities. Bundy wasn't the "average" killer. Educated and nice looking...Gacy did the clown thing. The Ripper was never caught. Some just have more of a mystique than others I guess. Interesting question.
    I think your onto somthing mag. It seems like the ones who get attention have a unique "quality" (For lack of a better word.) about themselves.

That list reads like a bunch of super villians.

GrinReaper Guest
    A couple more things on Charlie...

Didn't he carve a swastika between his eyes? How the heck would one expect to ever be released with something like that?

I doubt that a certain TV show would have been named Charlie's Angels if it had premired around the time of Manson and the killings.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    I believe it has a lot to do with that old saying from the media,

"If it bleeds - It leads."

Think about all of the serial killers who have achieved a high level of media attention...Someone else touched on my point a bit earlier...

John Wayne Gacy was a seemingly harmless (in retrospect) man who dressed in a clown suit and entertained children. Finding 30+ decomposing bodies underneath such a person's house was bound to draw a lot of attention from not only true death hags like us, but the more casual, "closeted" if you will, death hags out there who just aren't as vocal or openly interested as we are.

Bundy had all the charisma, charm, and good looks of a movie star, for crying out loud. Once the atrocities he had committed came to light, the viewing public was already transfixed with HIM, the crimes at that point became just more of a draw.

Then you look at people like Paul Bernardo and Karla Holmolka. Whose crimes were just as brutal, whose motives were just as, if not more dark in some cases as a lot of the murderers who get a lot of coverage. Yet you would be hard-pressed to find nearly as many people who know the sordid details of their crimes (At least outside of Canada, where they happened) as you would someone who's heard of the things Jeff Dahmer did.

The media, particularly the American media, clings to and dwells on the criminals and crimes that will pull the most at our heartstrings and our fears simultaniously. Are we likely to be kidnapped and murdered by a good-looking and polite man such as Bundy? Might that children's entertainer we see laughing and playing with young people have a much darker side?

The more fear the media can instill in us with any given story, the more we hear about it.

Cathy J. Guest
    it all really boils down to the media.

Yes..if it bleeds..its leeds !! So very true !!

cherryghost Guest
    I think it could be the victims they leave behind in one way or another!
    The famous victims forever haunt us and the killers.
    The Baby victims are young and innocent, they haunt well also.
    The gorgous nurses or uni students, they have a way of finding truth!
    Media has a lot of control but isnt it great to think that at times it becomes personal and about the person in an attempt to solve a murder and it does!

I agree with the person above that talked about the slow news day. I think that has a lot to do with it. Granted, there are some killers that are just bad, but slow news would have a lot to do with it I imagine.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

RLR12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I think their victims have as much to do with as anything else. Young innocent girls or just the sheer number of deaths. Bundy was charismatic, Manson too.
    Exactly RaRa. Bundy killed beautiful young women who all tended to resemble each other. These sweet young things were disappearing and later turning up dead at the hands of this monster. "Who could do such a thing?!" Same with Manson; his "family" killed beautiful young celebrities and a wealthy heiress. I think that's why they received nationwide coverage.

I live in DE and this discussion reminds me of our one illustrious serial killer so far, Steven Pennell. Prostitutes begin turning up mutilated and dead. The police instituted a task force and they eventually caught him. I was a senior in high school when he was caught and weren't we bustin' with pride - turns out he had gone to my high school (my nice Catholic High School) and his stepdaughter was currently a freshman there as well.
    To make a long story short, it was a big deal here in DE and we heard about it for years until he was executed......but, none of the rest of the country really heard about him. He was not charismatic or good-looking. He was your average looking blue collar worker and he was killing prostitutes, who a lot of people, law enforcement included, view as no big loss. It doesn't make for as tragic or capitivating of a story. I think when the victims are young and innocent that it really captures people's imagination and develops a life of its own.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RLR12 View Post
    Exactly RaRa. Bundy killed beautiful young women who all tended to resemble each other. These sweet young things were disappearing and later turning up dead at the hands of this monster. "Who could do such a thing?!" Same with Manson; his "family" killed beautiful young celebrities and a wealthy heiress. I think that's why they received nationwide coverage.
    I don't mean to open a can of worms here....
    Could race play a factor?
    Does the media treat it any differently if/when the victims are not white?

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Weren't most of Dahmer's victims black?

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Weren't most of Dahmer's victims black?
    The majority of them were, I believe...Among other races such as Asian. His very first victim, from what I recall, was a white man.

Race may have some pull within the media as to how much attention a story gets, just like a crime story may get more attention if the person is attacking only women, attacking only homosexuals, etc. But again, it seems to me like those things are just focused on to create an element of fear within those particular groups.

Like the emails that go around warning women about killers hiding beneath their cars, waiting to slash their ankles. I'm sure that somewhere, at some time something like this happened...It was reported by the media and picked up and run with by the public from there.

I think race plays a factor only in the killers themselves. I don't know of many or really any black/aisan/hispanic serial killers - famous or not.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    I think race plays a factor only in the killers themselves. I don't know of many or really any black/aisan/hispanic serial killers - famous or not.

Richard Ramirez... "The Satanic Serial Killer"

Don't forget TBK. (torture, bind, kill) A catchy nickname helps!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Didn't BTK give himself that name?

Yes, a clever nickname helps...As does a series of cyphers and a really big ego...

Just ask the Zodiac.

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Don't forget TBK. (torture, bind, kill) A catchy nickname helps!
    OOPS...that's BTK, not TBK.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    LOL!

I didn't even notice!

I knew who you were talking about, though!

lisalouver Guest
    Obviously Dahmer became so famous because of the cannibalism and keeping the bodies in his home.

Gacy is another one, because most of the bodies were buried in his crawl space until he ran out of room. The remainder he dumped in the river.

Ted Bundy was famous I think because of his intelligence, his savvy in getting women to come to him and his charm. He did not look like some creepy killer.

Mansons gang, well the victims at Tates house were famous so that is why that one made the news along with the heinous nature of the crime.

I think what we are most frightened of, we make famous, if that makes sense.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I think what we are most frightened of, we make famous, if that makes sense.
    It makes perfect sense!

And it just furthers my theory that there is a little death hag in everyone.

When these reports come out about these murderers, people become fascinated with the details of the crimes, with the killers themselves, with the entire idea of evil incarnate and all the little dark details that go along with it.

Sometimes, it's how the victims were murdered is what makes them famous. The brutality of the Tate/LaBianca murders or the cannibalism of Jeffrey Dahmer is what could make the murders so notorious. Just my opinion.

Richard Ramirez... "The Satanic Serial Killer"
    Right again, Max! Dang you're good today!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesmansonsbabygirl View Post
    I think it all depends on whom the media deems worthy of coverage. berkowitz had THE CITY in utter fear. manson assisted in a celeb death.

the media turns them into stars that receive tons of mail, groupies and so forth. its a shame they are celebrated.
    True, it's all about the media and who THEY decide gets the press....so the better question would be: is anyone here a journalist and if so, tell us WHY and HOW you guys choose certain victims/killers to publicize (Tate/Manson, Bundy, JonBenet, Lacy Peterson, etc.) and not others (can anyone name a victim of the Atlanta child murderer, for example?)....

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    (can anyone name a victim of the Atlanta child murderer, for example?)....
    Strange you should mention that.
    I've been thinking about that case since I brought up the race issue earlier.
    I've been trying to remember if they even caught the murderer.

(Don't bother. I'll look it up on my own. That's what the 'net is for.)
    Last edited by GrinReaper; 02-19-2008 at 08:15 PM.

It would seem most apparent that there is far more interest when someone who is beautiful, wealthy & young is murdered.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Daphne Guest
    What is it that makes certain murders more famous than others?
    Like Charles Manson and Ted Bundy. There are other solved crimes which are far far worse in terms of body counts and grislyness. (If that's even a word?)

So what makes those two household names and yet I can read about someone else and forget the name minutes later?
    Why are Manson and Bundy talked about more than other infamous heinous crimes?

I have not read through all the posts- but in my mind it is because of the times... generational, if that makes sense--

cherryghost Guest
    Bundy and Dahmer were good looking!

cherryghost Guest
    Victims who are good looking also get more exposure in the Press!
    It could have something to do with beauty and mortality and the idea the beautiful and wealthy dont die its the rest of the human race who sucumb to mortality before they do! Of course we know thats not the case but when it happens to beautiful people it fasinates us more! keeps us feeling ok too!

The Grim Reefer Guest

A question of race

Serial killers tend, not always but tend to choose victims of their own race

JustJess Guest
    I think that it might just be a bit of everything (victims, media, the killers, etc.) if everything just happens to fit just right for that time frame then we have a very popular serial killer.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Gacy- Killed a ton of people while passing as a good guy Clown
    Ripper- Horrid crimes, never found
    Dahmer- Hot as hell, ate his victims
    Manson- Sharon Tate (who was also pregnant) was a victim
    Bundy- Sadist
    Ramirez- Another one that was hot
    Gein- Just a seemingly to himself average guy that dressed in women's skins
    Lucas- I think is full of shit

These are the first that come to mind for the above listed reasons... I would have to think about it some more or look them up to discuss other killers.
    Last edited by Flowergrrl; 02-24-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    True, it's all about the media and who THEY decide gets the press....so the better question would be: is anyone here a journalist and if so, tell us WHY and HOW you guys choose certain victims/killers to publicize (Tate/Manson, Bundy, JonBenet, Lacy Peterson, etc.) and not others (can anyone name a victim of the Atlanta child murderer, for example?)....
    Patrick Baltzer (sp)
    Patrick "Pat Man" Rogers

These are just off the top of my head, but of course I live in Atlanta and remember when the murders happened.

Also, I think Ted Bundy was the first really prolific serial killer of modern times who was really put in the spotlight (there was also Richard Speck who murdered 9 Chicago nurses in the 60s and some guy named Corona? who murdered a whole bunch of migrant workers in Cali. I remember the first I heard of Ted Bundy was an article in Reader's Digest (I know), which had a photo collage of his different looks, and, man, each pic looked like a different guy. And, yes, he was so handsome and smart and he had friends in high places in law enforcement, like FBI agent Bob Koppel. His biggest mistake was killing in Florida, especially killing that little girl. You don't do that there, trust me. If he had been able to stop killing he might not have been caught at all, which is chilling.

Are you aware that when he was 15 years old he murdered a kid on his street? And when he was 3, his sister woke up and he was standing at the foot of her bed with a butcher knife. I don't know what happened to him, but his makes a good case for bad seeds, born evil.
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-24-2008 at 03:28 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

KristinEileen Guest
    I agree that it has a lot to do with the generation. I think we are fascinated with our own mortality and the mortality of others. Especially if we identify with a victim in some way. And most of us just aren't right...lol

smooches27 Guest

Which Serial Killer Scares You The Most?

I did a search and came up with nothing. So my question is which serial killer (dead or alive) scares you the most?

For me it is Dahmer. I'm not sure why, but whenever I watch a documentary about him or read a book, I am frightened. That says a lot because not much frightens me.

So, how about the rest of you?

Lita Guest
    Good question. I would say Gary Ridgeway just because in court he looked like they had the wrong guy. There was no way, by looking at him in court, that I would ever imagine him killing all those women. However, there was a serial killer in Spokane that Mark Furman wrote a book about and Spokane's closer to me. Dahmer doesn't scare me because he's dead. I know he can't hurt me. I think it's the same with Ted Bundy. Plus with both of them I was too young to really even know who they were until they were already caught. I can't really choose one. BTK's just freakin scary looking. But I guess the scary serial killers for me is the ones who have yet to be caught or yet to get started. Good question!

knothere Guest
    all of em

gasey does because he almost got on the plane n got away and i cant belive ppl r paying good coin for his art

i bet charlie mansons makin good coin heel never spend