Thread: Pablo Escobar

mac_lorre Guest

Pablo Escobar

1949-1993. Drug dealer to end all drug dealers. It's been said that if you did cocaine in the 80's, chances are you got it from this guy ultimately. Forbes magazine ranked him as the 7th richest person in the world in 1989. He had a 'Robin Hood' image among many of his fellow Colombians, fostered by his building of churches and homes for the poor. He'd just as generously have you filled with bullets, or do it himself, should you have wronged him in any way.

An all-out man hunt costing hundreds of millions of dollars led by the U.S. caught up with him on a Medellin rooftop on December 2, 1993, and he caught a bullet in his left ear.
    Last edited by mac_lorre; 10-25-2007 at 04:23 AM.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    i've heard a little about this guy. wasnt he notorious for gunning people down and then throwin them in a river?

My stepfather is from Medellin and has cousins who worked for El Espectador ("The Mirror"), which was famous for speaking out against the drug cartel in Medellin. Several of them were killed for it, presumably under Escobar's orders. My stepfather was very gratified to see, on his last trip to Medellin, that Escobar's home has been turned into a halfway house for recovering drug addicts! Fitting, eh?

Cheers,
    Amy

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    talk about karma!!!

ScottyMonger Guest
    The guy who wrote "Blackhwak Down" also wrote a book about the hunt for Escobar entitiled "Killing Pablo". It's a fascinating book, and an excellent TV documentary, based upon the book, was produced.

monhol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_lorre View Post

1949-1993. Drug dealer to end all drug dealers. It's been said that if you did cocaine in the 80's, chances are you got it from this guy ultimately. Forbes magazine ranked him as the 7th richest person in the world in 1989. He had a 'Robin Hood' image among many of his fellow Colombians, fostered by his building of churches and homes for the poor. He'd just as generously have you filled with bullets, or do it himself, should you have wronged him in any way.

An all-out man hunt costing hundreds of millions of dollars led by the U.S. caught up with him on a Medellin rooftop on December 2, 1993, and he caught a bullet in his left ear.
    i saw the story on how he was killed. the above photo fo the police standing over his body was shown and my husband and i said "that is off the hook"

I saw a documentary of this guy and was he the devil or what?? Very interesting tho how their government asked us for help.

I didn't know who he was until I got into "Entourage". I wasn't even sure if he was real or not. Did a search and sure enough...he's real. LOL.

krypy22 Guest
    The story that got to me was this: He was throwing a lavish dinner party. One of the hired help was caught putting some silverware into his pockets. Pablo had his hands and legs tied. He then invited his guest over to the swimming pool where he had the worker thrown in. As his dinner guests watched this man struggle and drown, Pablo was heard to say 'This is what happens when you steal from me'. I imagine his guests were too scared to do anything but stare in disbelief.

Scum.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I remember the docu about this. Seems that his sister showed up after the raid and saw one of his bodyguards laying dead on the ground. She started mocking the soldiers saying they killed the wrong guy and Pablo had escaped, again. The soldiers calmly let her rant, then when she finished they said something like "take a look on the roof, bitch." Needless to say, she wasn't mocking the soldiers when she came down from the roof.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Killing Pablo is a great read. So is the one by Gabriel Garcia Marquez about the ten journalists Pable had kidnapped and held.

Pablo was personification of the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    The guy who wrote "Blackhwak Down" also wrote a book about the hunt for Escobar entitiled "Killing Pablo". It's a fascinating book, and an excellent TV documentary, based upon the book, was produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    I remember the docu about this. Seems that his sister showed up after the raid and saw one of his bodyguards laying dead on the ground. She started mocking the soldiers saying they killed the wrong guy and Pablo had escaped, again. The soldiers calmly let her rant, then when she finished they said something like "take a look on the roof, bitch." Needless to say, she wasn't mocking the soldiers when she came down from the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Killing Pablo is a great read. So is the one by Gabriel Garcia Marquez about the ten journalists Pable had kidnapped and held.

Pablo was personification of the devil.

I was going to mention the book and the docu! I am reading the book right now, it's excellent! I didn't know Gabriel Garcia Marquez wrote one about this, I'll have to check it out. (1000 Years of Solitude or whatever it was called nearly killed me, though.)
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

tommyjox Guest
    Pablo and his cartel still influence Miami and The Bahamas today.
    Then there is Junge.....

tommyjox Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post

The soldiers drug her up to the roof and showed her the body and then drug her back down and tossed her into the streets....
    Ordinarily no one would have touched her, or manhandled her because of her relationship to Pablo....

lisalouver Guest
    I first heard of him from my Dad and the stories!

Yea, he was dramatized in the movie Blow with Johnny Depp. George Jung worked quite a bit with him once he got into the cocaine.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    (1000 Years of Solitude or whatever it was called nearly killed me, though.)[/quote]

You mean 1000 chances of good REM sleep after reading a page? hehe.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Oh and just to add the "squee" factor all we dedicated death hags look for in a story.

Pablo liked 'em young and liked it rough. And, he, obviously, was a big fat pig.

YUM.

If you want to get a good hang on the drug wars in Miami back in the day, The Cocaine Wars by Eddie something (I'll dig it up and find out who) is a great read. It is shocking, even by today's standards.

There may be pics of Pablo, if so, I'll post 'em.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjox View Post
    Pablo and his cartel still influence Miami and The Bahamas today.
    Then there is Junge.....
    You got that right.....

stacebabe Guest
    Killing Pablo is a fascinating read. As bad as he was, he was a Robin Hood of sorts. He helped the poor, built churches, and funded construction of football fields etc...

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I watched a documentary called The Cocaine Wars. I didn't realize it wasa book, too. Got it from Netflix. Good movie.

I'll have to find a copy of the book, now.

I've read Blow and watched the movie. That's a great read/watch, too. Is George still alive? I thought he was, back in prison.

It's The Cocaine Wars by Paul Eddy. I didn't know there was a documentary.

It has a photo of the two cops that Crockett and Tubbs were based on. And a just the whole 70s/80s Miami dope scene. Miami has been called The City of the Future, and it most def in the 70s/80s define what this country would become.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    I watched a documentary called The Cocaine Wars. I didn't realize it wasa book, too. Got it from Netflix. Good movie.

I'll have to find a copy of the book, now.

I've read Blow and watched the movie. That's a great read/watch, too. Is George still alive? I thought he was, back in prison.
    George Jung is indeed still alive and in prison, projected release date of November 27, 2014 when he is 72 years old.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    I had to read a book on him in college : Killing Pablo. It's a good book if you want all the details on this guy. I wrote a huge ass essay on him for my South American History class. He was a smart guy but in the end the US outsmarted his ass.

stacebabe Guest
    I just watched a documentary tonight on demand on HBO called "The Sins of My Father" which features his son, Juan Pablo (who has since changed his name). It was a very interesting insight. Juan Pablo had a childhood of privilege, of course, as a small child he had no idea what his father was doing, to him, he was just his dad. He would record tapes of him telling childrens stories such as The 3 Little Pigs, etc... To us, of course, he's the most notorious drug traffiker in the world. To him, that was his dad. What a legacy to have to live through. And the sons of 2 of his most prominent victims even say that yes, they had to live with their father's death, but not carry the burden and stigma that he has to. It's all in Spanish with subtitles, but it's an interesting documentary.

http://www.documentarystream.com/cocaine-cowboys/

This isnt Cocaine Wars, Its called Cocaine Cowboys. It is also shows alot of the 70/80's cocaine wars going on in Florida. Probably around the same kind of Doc. I think its really good.

stacebabe Guest
    I loved Cocaine Cowboys - awesome documentary! Part 2 was lame though.

paul702 Guest
    Agreed, Cocaine Cowboys part one was very informative with a great insight into the cocaine trade. Part 2 was rather pointless. I am just watchin "sins of my father" on HBO on demand, thanks for the heads up that it was on. Rather good doc so far.

stacebabe Guest
    His son is his spitting image, no?? And he seems like such a good guy. I'm glad the others recognized his father's sins were not his own.

The History channel had a program on him this morning. It talked about the special forces that went out to kill him. Very interesting. I also saw "Sins of my father" a while back. Very good. I felt so bad for his son. And how he tried to make amends for what he father had done. Pablo was a real bastard, at least his son didn't turn out to be like him.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Didn't they dig this fella up for some reason or was that someone else?
    My Posse's On Broadway

British tourist, 35, filmed snorting cocaine off infamous drug baron Pablo Escobar’s GRAVE says the stunt has cost him his family and landed him with death threats

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-family.html

There's a stunning docudrama of the rise and fall of Escobar on Neflix. The Cartel. He would get it in for somebody, kill them and kill their family. The other cartels weren't exactly sweet thangs themselves.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD