Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Here is a musicians I just came across. I've head his music before but didn't know who he was. His beautiful voice was silenced in 1997, but his music will live on. He was an honored musician in his native Hawaii. If you've never heard the name check out this video, I'm sure you've heard his music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe5p1BXNCQM

After you've seen the video check out some info on him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Kamakawiwo%CA%BBole
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    I Love Him!!!

Jazbabee Guest
    We have a few of his CD's.....people are actually familiar with his music, it has been used in movies and television commercials (especially his version of Somewhere over the Rainbow)

When they played his cover of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" while Dr. Green was dying on ER it really got to me. It was a sniffler fer sure.
    Last edited by cleanskull; 12-05-2007 at 07:03 AM.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    When they played his cover of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" whike Dr. Green was dying on ER it really got to me. It was a sniffler fer sure.

I forgot about the scene in ER. You right it was a tear jerker. Like I said I've been aware of the song but I never new anything about the artist until I ran across the video on You Tube. He had an amazing voice.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kathyf Guest
    I love that version of the song. I didn't know he was dead.

They play Brother Iz's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow on coasttocoastam a lot. People always call in and ask who it is.

deathybrad Guest
    I thought he was the Flyin' Hawaiian from King of the Hill.

SueWahoo Guest
    Wow! Thanks for the music tip, John. That was great!

Sue

Irishlass Guest
    he was given a state furneral when he died complete with Laying in state at the Capital Roudunda
    It was quite a show.
    He really was only famous in the last few yrs of his life and spent a number of yrs on welfare and state aid..
    He had a wonderful voice
    But he was in ILL health for a number of yrs..he was quite a large man and sang at his concerts
    while on a O2 tank.

Snoopy Guest
    I absolutely love his version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and yes I remember that scene with Dr. Greene on ER..I think that's where I forst heard his version .

dr. greene died?!?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    dr. greene died?!?!
    Yeah remember the brain tumor? well it came back and ended up killing him..that really was a tear jerker.

Jazbabee Guest
    Even as a child, Iz was morbidly obese. I believe his all time high weight was close to 800 pounds. He had great difficulty taking even one or two stepsw, and often at concerts they had to use a flat bed truck and hydraulic lift to get hime on and off stages. He would often give concerts while seated, because the physical exertion was too much for his body. If you look below, you will see the album cover from "IZ" - the pic was taken in a pool - this is where they found some success in getting him to exercise, to reduce the weight. Sadly, he died from respiratory failure, which was exacerbated by the morbid obesity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iz.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	2049  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Helby Guest
    He had a huge thing for cheeseburgers. His music is beautiful and every time I hear "White Sandy Beach of Hawaii" or "Hawaii 78" make me cry and miss Hawaii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBZcFUA9D0
    Last edited by Helby; 12-05-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Helby Guest
    and there is this...hawaii 78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvqGWigKusQ

Helby Guest
    here is a article about him lyeing in state in the state capitol.

http://starbulletin.com/97/07/10/news/story3.html

Wow!

A big man with a big talent; and a voice to match.

Thanks!

Irishlass Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Wow!

A big man with a big talent; and a voice to match.

Thanks!

He is considered a Icom here right up there with Duke.

There is a documentary about his life and it is very touching. The sad part is that morbid obesity ran in his family. He had a brother who he dearly loved and was very close to that died of complications of obesity a few years before Iz did. Iz was fighting the weight battle, working with doctors to lose enough weight to have bariatric surgery. But once his brother died, he lost the fighting spirit. He is survived by his wife and a daughter who was very young at the time of his death.

The one thing that makes me very angry was that his fans would bring him trays and trays and trays filled with cheeseburgers and other goodies for him to eat and he would devour the stuff between songs. It was like handing a hopeless alcoholic a bottle of gin.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Luffy66 Guest
    I am a wedding DJ, and his version of "somewhere over the rainbow/wonderful world" is by far the most requested song, during the ceremony.

RoRo Guest
    Loved Brudder Iz!!!! He was so talented and that beautiful soft voice coming from such a large body!!!
    I felt bad for him, obesity is hard to deal with and it obviously ran in his family so it wasn't all caused by just eating too much.

seberly Guest
    When I heard Somewhere Over The Rainbow on ER once I found out he sang it, I had to get a copy. I didn't know he had died.

ginny9577 Guest
    it's also in the movie 50 first dates...i love that version of Over the Rainbow.

Blondin Guest
    It was on Scrubs too. I didn't know who sang it, but I thought it was beautiful.

Fighter Guest
    Iz had an amazing voice. It's very soothing, makes you feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
    Iz had an amazing voice. It's very soothing, makes you feel good.

I agree. His version "Over The Rainbow" has to be my favorite. Also welcome to the forum, Fighter. Hope you like it here.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest Guest
    just found this thread.... I haved loved Israel for a while now.... I too cried when Dr. Green died. I've had his cd for a while and my mom has a copy. When I die and they have the final viewing (before they shut it) I want this to play for me. I wish he was still here his songs are so refreshing. He does an awesome version of I'll be there/ Marvin's song. I love his Wind beneath my wings too....... his is missed

Snoopy Guest
    I have Iz's version of Over the Rainbow as my Myspace page song..love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I love that song, been awhile since I've heard it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    ahhh Bruddah IZ. Brings back so many memories.I remember sitting on the beach as I was growing up and listening to his music as the surf came in. RIP IZ. You are truly missed!

He was a wonderful singer/musician. RIP

Interesting story in wiki, that I remember:

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's version of "Over the Rainbow" was played at the conclusion of NBC's political analyst Tim Russert's memorial service in Washington D.C. on June 18, 2008. As the guests were filing out of the service, there was a double rainbow seen in the Washington D.C. sky.

KK Bay Guest
    Check out his CD, Alone in Iz World...it's a compilation of alternate versions of his hits as well as some "incomplete" works, such as a version of "Mona Lisa" playfully recorded in the studio, which ends with Iz asking somebody "You call my wife?". Also, there's a poignant bit with Iz talking about the beloved family members who had passed and his take on the afterlife. One of my favorite CDs.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KK Bay View Post
    Check out his CD, Alone in Iz World...it's a compilation of alternate versions of his hits as well as some "incomplete" works, such as a version of "Mona Lisa" playfully recorded in the studio, which ends with Iz asking somebody "You call my wife?". Also, there's a poignant bit with Iz talking about the beloved family members who had passed and his take on the afterlife. One of my favorite CDs.
    Hey KK.....great comment on "Alone in Iz World" This is a favored CD in my house, and both of my boys love listening to it ( my oldest son is also partial to a song called "Hawaian Superman"

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    He did, I believe, a couple songs for the Disney film, Lilo & Stitch...Which had some pretty awesome music in it to start with.

One of his songs from it, "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" was one of my faves!

Except of course, going to LOOK for it on google all I could find was the stupid teeny-bopper band version they did with some group called "Jump 5". Grrrr...Stupid Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    His video of Over the Rainbow is featured on my You Tube page.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bblvnvelphy Guest
    i had no idea he had passed away! i first heard him in 50 first dates and i loved his version of the song "somewhere over the rainbow", and my junior year of high school my drama teacher asked me to make a slideshow for all the seniors and asked me to use that song. it made everyone cry. this past year i made the senior slideshow also and used the same song.

he was an amazing singer!

Cemetry Gates Guest
    That song always makes me cry, too!

BamaDeathHag Guest
    Aw, I didn't know he had died!! I love his beautiful voice!! His version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow was played at my friend's funeral just a few weeks ago. Rip, Iz!!!!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDeathHag View Post
    Aw, I didn't know he had died!! I love his beautiful voice!! His version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow was played at my friend's funeral just a few weeks ago. Rip, Iz!!!!
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend..... I have that song in my funeral planning also...

KK Bay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Hey KK.....great comment on "Alone in Iz World" This is a favored CD in my house, and both of my boys love listening to it ( my oldest son is also partial to a song called "Hawaian Superman"
    Thanks Jaz...one of our faves is the 4th track, Hanohano Wale No Na Cowboy and Ka Huila Wai

southerngothic Guest
    Wow, I didn't know who this guy was, but it turns out I am familiar with quite a few of his tunes. Just beautiful. And it seems like he was a beautiful human being. So tragic.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Just heard Iz's version of "Over the Rainbow" again on Anderson Cooper's New Years show....it always moves me, and so I was moved to bump his thread. R.I.P. Iz, what a gift you were to this wonderful world.

deathpool Guest
    Yeah i first heard of him when that song played in ER when a cast member died. I love that version.

***diana*** Guest
    I just had to give Iz's thread a bump. From what I understand, he was a great guy. His music is so beautiful.

Desertrose Guest
    Yes, his music was beautiful. I love his version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow". He was quite a guy, and yet, died so young. But, his music will live on.

He had a lovely soul, who produced such lovely music. I tear up too every time I hear Somewhere over the Rainbow..RIP....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

death hag dee Guest

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole

Israel "IZ" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole ([SIZE=2]Hawaiian pronunciation: [kaˌmakaˌʋiwoˈʔole]; May 20, 1959 â?? June 26, 1997) was a [/SIZE]Hawaiian musician.
    He became famous outside Hawaii when his album Facing Future was released in 1993. His medley of "Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" was subsequently featured in several films, television programs, and commercials.
    Through his ukulele playing and incorporation of other genres (such as jazz and reggae), Kamakawiwoʻole remains one of the major influences in Hawaiian music over the course of 15 years.[1]
    Early life
    Kamakawiwoʻole was born at Kuakini Hospital in Honolulu to Henry Kaleialoha Naniwa Kamakawiwoʻole, Jr., and Evangeline Leinani Kamakawiwoʻole. He was raised in the community of Kaimuki, where his parents had met and married. He began playing music with his older brother Skippy and cousin Allen Thornton at the age of 11, being exposed to the music of Hawaiian entertainers of the time such as Peter Moon, Palani Vaughn, and Don Ho, who frequented the establishment where Kamakawiwoʻole's parents worked. Israel continued his path as his brother Skippy entered the Army in 1971 and cousin Allen parted ways in 1976 for the mainland.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow / What A Wonderful World

[SIZE=1]Problems listening to this file? See [/SIZE][SIZE=1]media help[/SIZE][SIZE=1].[/SIZE]
    In his early teens, he studied at Upward Bound (UB) of the University of Hawaii at Hilo and his family moved to Mākaha. There he met Louis "Moon" Kauakahi, Sam Gray, and Jerome Koko.[2] Together with his brother Skippy they formed the Makaha Sons of Niʻihau. From 1976 throughout the 1980s, the Hawaiian contemporary band gained in popularity as they toured Hawaii and the continental United States and released fifteen successful albums.
    In 1982, Kamakawiwoʻole's brother, Skippy Kamakawiwoʻole died of a heart attack. In that same year, Kamakawiwoʻole married his childhood sweetheart Marlene. Soon after, they had a daughter whom they named Ceslie-Ann "Wehi".
    [edit] Music career

"Bruddah Iz" on the cover of Facing Future

49. 02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
    Reason
    dupe

death hag dee Guest
    I really thought he would be listed here if he is and I missed him, Im sorry..... I still remember this song when Dr Greene died on ER

zack Guest
    Never heard of him.Thanks to you.We can.Sounds like a lot of fun.
    Cheers.Celebrate his life.